none
Assigned to Analyst

Question

• Hi,

Is there any way to limit the users that can be selected in the "assigned to" field to just my helpdesk analysts? As it stands I can assign a incident to anyone in Active Directory, surely this shouldn't be the case? In our existing helpdesk system you have a drop down list for the support group and then a second list containing the analysts in that group.

I'm concerned that a incident will be assigned to an end user in error, and if we have workflows sending emails based on assignments then they'll receive an email advising them that a helpdesk call has been assigned to them!

Thanks,
    Kris

Monday, November 08, 2010 4:10 PM

Answers

• Probably your domain/group info is not correct in the admin settings, it should look like:

LDAP://DC=yourdomain,DC=xx,DC=xx

CN=YourAnalystGroup,OU=Your Groups,OU=Groups,DC=yourdomain,DC=xx,DC=xx

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Hi Kris,

I've recreated my solution for you to try as a slightly cut down version.

You'll need SP1 installed.

Download this management pack bundle:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Task-to-assign-an-incident-850ce363

Import the .mpb into Service Manager as an admin. If possible, please do this on a test system first. I have tested this and it appears to work ok, but I can't be liable for any issues :)

Restart the console. If you now click on an Incident via a view, you should see a task called "Assign Directly". You'll need to assign this task to your user roles as required for them to see it.

(Group info moved to admin settings, see gallery page for details)

In your AD group, add top-level user accounts. Sub-groups will not be processed.

When you run the task, the bundled dll is downloaded to the user profile in "..\AppData\Local\Microsoft\System Center Service Manager 2010\<SERVERNAME>\<VERSION>".

User accounts from your AD group should appear in the drop-down. Select one, enter a comment, OK. The incident should be assigned to that user and the action log will be updated.

Let me know how it goes,

Rob

Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:27 PM
  • I am not Rob but ...

You have done the following steps Rob described in his post above?

--- quote ---

You'll need to create 2 Registry REG_SZ values per console user:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RXF\AssignDirectlyToAnalyst\DomainRoot
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RXF\AssignDirectlyToAnalyst\GroupPath

DomainRoot is your AD root, for example LDAP://DC=domain,DC=co,DC=xx

GroupPath is the dn of the group that contains your Analysts, for example:
    CN=SCSMAssignToAnalysts,OU=SCSM Groups,OU=Groups,DC=domain,DC=co,DC=xx

In your AD group, add top-level user accounts. Sub-groups will not be processed.

-- end of quote ---

You need a AD group and not a SCSM Support Group to get this running

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Kris,

I got around this by replacing the default assign task with one that shows a drop-down list of "real" analysts taken from an AD group with a comment field that is added to the actionlog. So, yes, it is possible.

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. I have also disabled the assigned to field on the incident form.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:21 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Was this achieved using the authoring tool? Are you able to provide any guidanace on the steps you mention above?

Thanks,
    Kris

Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Hi Kris,

Well, I'm fairly new to SCSM myself (since last November) and only got this far thanks to some excellent help in here, so I might not be the best person to guide you. You need to use Visual Studio 2008 or 2010 to create a new .NET 3.5 assembly in C# that will be your new custom task and add an xml file to the project that will be your new Management Pack.

This blog by Travis steps you through how to create a custom task and a new MP for it. You don't need to use the wizarddata method or an xaml based form, as you will be displaying a standard form but it gives you the basic framework on how to create a new custom task.

This article explains how to pack your assembly (dll) into a managment pack bundle (mpb) file. This method means that SCSM will automatically download the DLL to each client, as opposed to you having to copy it to each PC. You will need the code for new-mpbfile.ps1 from here to create the mpb file.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Hi Kris,

I've recreated my solution for you to try as a slightly cut down version.

You'll need SP1 installed.

Download this management pack bundle:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Task-to-assign-an-incident-850ce363

Import the .mpb into Service Manager as an admin. If possible, please do this on a test system first. I have tested this and it appears to work ok, but I can't be liable for any issues :)

Restart the console. If you now click on an Incident via a view, you should see a task called "Assign Directly". You'll need to assign this task to your user roles as required for them to see it.

(Group info moved to admin settings, see gallery page for details)

When you run the task, the bundled dll is downloaded to the user profile in "..\AppData\Local\Microsoft\System Center Service Manager 2010\<SERVERNAME>\<VERSION>".

User accounts from your AD group should appear in the drop-down. Select one, enter a comment, OK. The incident should be assigned to that user and the action log will be updated.

Let me know how it goes,

Rob

Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for the info. I'll give this a try on our test system and let you know how I get on.

We don't have SP1 installed on the test system yet so it may be a couple of days before I can test this out.

Cheers,
    Kris

Friday, January 14, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:27 PM
  •  

Rob,

When you get a chance, could you please help us out?

We are trying to implement the “Assigned to Analyst” task that you provided, but got stuck where the Analyst dropdown box would not populated the Analyst names.  We have all the support groups in the Tier dropdown, but no data in the Analyst dropdown.

Thanks,

Brian

Email: Btran@mwdh2o.com

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:00 PM
  • I am not Rob but ...

You have done the following steps Rob described in his post above?

--- quote ---

You'll need to create 2 Registry REG_SZ values per console user:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RXF\AssignDirectlyToAnalyst\DomainRoot
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RXF\AssignDirectlyToAnalyst\GroupPath

DomainRoot is your AD root, for example LDAP://DC=domain,DC=co,DC=xx

GroupPath is the dn of the group that contains your Analysts, for example:
    CN=SCSMAssignToAnalysts,OU=SCSM Groups,OU=Groups,DC=domain,DC=co,DC=xx

-- end of quote ---

You need a AD group and not a SCSM Support Group to get this running

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Probably your domain/group info is not correct in the admin settings, it should look like:

LDAP://DC=yourdomain,DC=xx,DC=xx

CN=YourAnalystGroup,OU=Your Groups,OU=Groups,DC=yourdomain,DC=xx,DC=xx

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Sorry, I'll update this post, it is all in the admin settings now...
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Hi Rob. Sorry I didn't noticed that the config is in the admin settings now.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 8:19 PM
  •  

Thank you for your quick reply.

After followed your suggestion, we were able see the Analyst names showing up in the Analyst dropdown.  However, how do you tie each Tier group to a specific AD group?

I put in 3 different AD groups in the form "Assign Directly to Analyst Settings" (Domain1, Domain2, Domain3 all the same value; Group1, Group2, Group3 all unique), and each group picked off the Tier pull down shows all members of the 3 groups.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:19 PM
  • Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. The Tier Queue drop-down (if shown via options) just allows you to optionally assign to a person and tier at the same time. There is no way to filter the users based on the tier you select. The 3 domain/group values were added because some people wanted to be able to add groups from more than one domain in a forest. They can all be in the same domain, but all of the users get added to the analyst drop-down.

The source code is included, so you can extend this example to do what you need.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:28 PM
  •  

Many thanks to you and Andreas for helping us!

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:22 PM