none
TCP Port Check

Answers

All replies

• Hi, under Authoring, Management Pack Templates there is a port check wizard. If you use it some performance counters collector rules be built in the background automatically.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:54 PM
  • You can also author your own TCP port check monitor type by referencing the Microsoft.SystemCenter.SyntheticTransactions.TCPPortCheckProbe probe action module type from the Microsoft.SystemCenter.SyntheticTransactions.Library management pack.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonathanalmquist/archive/2010/03/17/tcp-port-check-status-codes-and-alert-parameters.aspx

HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:33 PM
    • Go to Relaibility Monitor and click on network and you will find all TCP statistics. 
    • Proposed as answer by Ahmed gaziyani Wednesday, August 04, 2010 4:52 PM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Simon,

Unless you have reasons for why you can use any of the proposed answers above, these are the best solutions to your monitoring requirements.  If you unmark answers without offering reasons why these are not answers, this helps nobody.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:11 PM
  • Hi Jonathan

Sorry for the late reply.

Its not the answer I am looking for because I know how to create a TCP Port monitor via the Add Monitorting Wizard.

What I would like is to run a "Report" from the reporting console, and include the performance data created by the TCP Port monitor.

When I create a report using Microsoft Generic Report Library - > Performance, then I try to find the Rule created by the TCP Port monitor wizard, its not there.

My question is, does the TCP Port monitor performance data make it into the Data Warehouse?

I cant be the only person trying to report on TCP Port synthetic transactions response time to the business heads?!?

Your help most appreciated.

Simon

Monday, August 23, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Hi Jonathan,

I'm having the same problem, I've created the tcp port check monitor, I can see the collection rule created under the management pack:

Rule name: EDP (PPR) ftp.edprenovaveis.com TCP Port Connection Time Performance

Rule description: "This performance collection rule collects the time it takes to connect to 194.38.128.77 on port 21.". but when I browse the performance report for that rule

but when I search the performance report for that rule it doesn't appear.

In fact when a browse the Management pack for all rules that kind of rules never appear.

My platform has opsmgr r2 cu2 installed. Any ideia or suggestion? I would like to give connection time reports to my customer.

Thanks in advance for your time and support.

Rgds

Maria

Friday, January 07, 2011 4:35 PM
  • Yes, you're correct.  This template does create a performance collection rule for connection time.  However, it only includes the writer module for the operational database, not the data warehouse.  So you can view performance views about connection time, but cannot create reports.

If you do want to see this data in reports, you'll need to manually add the data warehouse write action module to the collection rule that was created by the template wizard.

Saturday, January 08, 2011 12:11 AM
  • By the way, I demonstrate how to include the data warehouse writer module in the link below.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonathanalmquist/archive/2011/01/07/tcp-port-connection-time-report.aspx

Thanks for the additional information about the collection rule.  It helped lead me in the right direction to offer the solution.

Saturday, January 08, 2011 2:56 AM
  • I just read these thread and I was wondering if there was a way to monitor socket states outside of the Operations Manager.  I need to know when network timeouts occur through a SysTray application and using the TCP Monitor to which you refer sounds ideal but it appears to be limited to Operation Manager installations.  Can I use that library in a Windows Form application and, if so, from where can I obtain the library?
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:58 PM