none
SCVMM 2012 RC - Unable to remove a VHD in the library because it has a dependency (Virtual Hard Disk deployment configuration)

Question

• When attempting to delete a VHD in the library, I am getting the below error message. Any thoughts on where I might look for the dependency "Virtual Hard Disk deployment configuration"?

Exact error message:

The library object (os_disk) cannot be removed because following objects are dependent on it:

Virtual Hard Disk deployment configuration

Please ensure that no objects are dependent on this library object and try the operation again.

ID: 848

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:38 PM

Answers

• Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I ran into this today and found a solution:

http://www.ryanholt.net/2012/02/07/quick-tip-remove-missing-dependencies-for-scvmm-2012-rc-vhds/

Essentially you delete a few lines from the tbl_WLC_VHDConfig table within SCVMM's database. Once these are gone you can go back through SCVMM's console and delete the VHD.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hi

The error that you have discussed that seems to be the problem with the disk mode if it was configured for native boot. Did you check that the disk was attached in RAID configuration because if it was you might have issues while deleting the VHD, however you can check following link if that helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd323696(v=VS.85).aspx

Please let us know if the problem gets resolved. 

VP Mishra System Administrator MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS
    Monday, October 17, 2011 10:57 PM
  • The the link doesn't seem to help me out. Right now the VHD doesn't even exist so I am not sure how to check if anything special was done to it, from what I understand it is just a plain vanilla VHD with an OS installed on it, nothing fancy.

Friday, October 21, 2011 8:30 PM
  • This is a known issue in RC build. We have fixed this for RTM.

Thanks,

Uttara

Friday, November 04, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I ran into this today and found a solution:

http://www.ryanholt.net/2012/02/07/quick-tip-remove-missing-dependencies-for-scvmm-2012-rc-vhds/

Essentially you delete a few lines from the tbl_WLC_VHDConfig table within SCVMM's database. Once these are gone you can go back through SCVMM's console and delete the VHD.

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 5:46 PM
  • I am on RTM and I still have this issue!  version 3.0.6005.0 which is RTM release.

-RkL

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:44 PM
  • I am experiencing this issue on 3.0.6019.0 - RTM
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Yah this is definitely still occuring in version 3.0.6040.0 (RTM with rollup 2 I believe). I now have 38 objects in "Orphaned Resources" all of them are pointing to a dependency on "[Virtual Hard Disk deployment configuration]". I realize these are probably valid orphans, I just need to be able to delete them as I seem to disklike warning symbols.

I have tried RyanHolt's website (http://www.ryanholt.net/2012/02/07/quick-tip-remove-missing-dependencies-for-scvmm-2012-rc-vhds/), this did work on the RC because I rememeber trying it to remove the temporary templates with powershell. I remember also being able to do a configuration of a service template to see these and remove these temporary templates manually, this has since been removed in the RTM. I attempted the SQL portion of Ryan's advice and it worked! However it isn't recommended by Microsoft to modify the DB directly.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Ryan Holt's page does not work in SCVMM 2012 SP1.  In fact, there is nothing at all in the dbo.tbl_WLC_VHDConfig table.

Looks like we need a different hack from microsoft to fix it.  Any template I create in the SCVMM library is there forever.

Friday, February 21, 2014 6:15 PM
  • On the final version (tested in 2012 SP1)
    Suggest this instead of hacking around in the database:

You will receive a message that objects are dependent on the library object. Note the name that is listed after "VM Template"

Go to powershell in scvmm
    Run:
    remove-scvmtemplate -vmtemplate "NAME_YOU_RECORDED_FROM_ERROR"

Then, you can delete the template from SCVMM,
    Wow Microsoft, Wow.

• Proposed as answer by johnnymac496 Friday, February 21, 2014 6:48 PM
    Friday, February 21, 2014 6:48 PM