none
Library-->List -->Incident Classification & Change Area

Question

• I wanted to have more options to choose from in these 2 categories (Incident Classification & Change Area) and tiered them so I had some with up to 3 childs. When I create a Change or an Incident and choose down the tier, the only thing that populates in the IR or CR is the last tier. So for an Incident Classification, if I choose down e.g. Application-->SAP-->Marketing-->Campaigns, it then only displays Campaigns. I want to be able to see the tiering. The same is for a Change Area. Then from the portal the end-user is seeing both Incident Classification & Change Area categories (depending on what type of request s/he chooses) in a flat field format. No tiering shown. How can this be rectified?
    Plus the IR indicates if the request came from the console or portal, but the CR created do not indicate where this came from - there is no source field.
    Also, how can more options etc be added into the Portal?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:47 PM

Answers

• Let's break this down into three issues and make sure I understand the issues that you are asking about:

1) Issue: On the forms in the main console when we display a category control you can choose from a hierarchical list, but after you select an option only the option selected is shown and not the entire path.

This was a design decision to show just the selected option to avoid clutter in the UI.  You can see the hierarchy if needed by clicking the drop down arrow.  This behavior is not currently configurable.  If you feel that it is better to show the whole path or to provide an option to configure the behavior, please suggest that on the Connect site (http://connect.microsoft.com). and we'll take a look at it to see if we are getting consistent feedback from customers on this isssue.

2) Issue: In the self-service portal when the user selects an incident category the hierarchical list is "flattened".  Same for change request. 

This is a known issue we hope to address in a future milestone.

3) Issue: The change request does not have a source field like incident.

Good point!  Pease make a suggestion on the Connect site on this issue as well.

4) Issue: How can more options be added to the portal?

Looks like you have figured out how to add more values to the drop downs! :)  Here are some other ways you can add content to the self-service portal:
    You can also add announcements by creating them in the Administration section of the main console.
    You can create knowledge articles in the main console and they will then be displayed in the Top Knowledge Base Articles list and will be searchable by end users.
    You can add software titles for end users to request by connecting with Configuration Manager and configuring the software deployment processes as described in the product documentation.

Beyond those modifications, the self-service itself is not really designed to be added to in Service Manager 2010 because...  All of the components you see on the self-service portal are actually web parts which can be hosted on a SharePoint site.  So - if there are other components that you want to construct an end user portal out of in addition to the Service Manager web parts we suggest that you create a SharePoint site, add your custom web parts and the Service Manager web parts together.  Note: It is not possible to host the Server Manager web parts on a SharePoint site yet in Beta 2, but we will provide instructions on how to do this in the future.

Hope this helps!
    Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Lead Microsoft
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:26 AM

All replies

• Let's break this down into three issues and make sure I understand the issues that you are asking about:

1) Issue: On the forms in the main console when we display a category control you can choose from a hierarchical list, but after you select an option only the option selected is shown and not the entire path.

This was a design decision to show just the selected option to avoid clutter in the UI.  You can see the hierarchy if needed by clicking the drop down arrow.  This behavior is not currently configurable.  If you feel that it is better to show the whole path or to provide an option to configure the behavior, please suggest that on the Connect site (http://connect.microsoft.com). and we'll take a look at it to see if we are getting consistent feedback from customers on this isssue.

2) Issue: In the self-service portal when the user selects an incident category the hierarchical list is "flattened".  Same for change request. 

This is a known issue we hope to address in a future milestone.

3) Issue: The change request does not have a source field like incident.

Good point!  Pease make a suggestion on the Connect site on this issue as well.

4) Issue: How can more options be added to the portal?

Looks like you have figured out how to add more values to the drop downs! :)  Here are some other ways you can add content to the self-service portal:
    You can also add announcements by creating them in the Administration section of the main console.
    You can create knowledge articles in the main console and they will then be displayed in the Top Knowledge Base Articles list and will be searchable by end users.
    You can add software titles for end users to request by connecting with Configuration Manager and configuring the software deployment processes as described in the product documentation.

Beyond those modifications, the self-service itself is not really designed to be added to in Service Manager 2010 because...  All of the components you see on the self-service portal are actually web parts which can be hosted on a SharePoint site.  So - if there are other components that you want to construct an end user portal out of in addition to the Service Manager web parts we suggest that you create a SharePoint site, add your custom web parts and the Service Manager web parts together.  Note: It is not possible to host the Server Manager web parts on a SharePoint site yet in Beta 2, but we will provide instructions on how to do this in the future.

Hope this helps!
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:26 AM
  • Thanks so much Travis - can you send me the link to the Connect Site to make suggestions pls.
    Also I noticed on the Portal I have 2 Request Types that create IRs - Need help with a problem  And  Need repair or fix    And 1 that creates a CR - Need change or new resource.  Well this Request Type is not visible in the console in either an IR or CR. I would have thought it should be so it relates to what the user is asking after?

Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:53 PM
  • The connect site is at http://connect.microsoft.com

Good feedback on indicating in the IR or CR what option the user clicked on.  You could also put that in on Connect to!
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:21 PM
  • FYI - Issue # 2 has been fixed recently.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:27 PM
  • FYI - Issue # 2 has been fixed recently.
    No...it hasn't.  If you know of a fix, please link
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 7:37 PM