none
Task sequence variables

Question

• I am trying to find a reference that will tell me exactly what the task sequence variables in SCCM mean or do. I have tried to build a task sequence to install 10 different applications but I cannot get it to work. Exactly what does the condition "equals" mean or for that matter the other options available to you? I cannot understand the instructions in the help file.

"To install multiple applications using a task sequence variable called AA002 you specify the following:

Task Sequence variable: AA002

Value: Package ID;Program name

Task Sequence variable: AA003

Value: Package ID;Program name

The series of variable names is formed by appending a numeric suffix between 001 and 999 to the administrator-defined base name. The variable names and associated values form a dynamic package list that can be scripted. The list of packages ends when no variable name exists with the next sequential numeric suffix. The associated packages will be installed in the order specified in the list. Each package installation will be completed before the installation for the next package begins.

If the value of a variable is not created in the correct format and does not specify a valid package ID and program name, the installation of the package will fail. If no variables with the specified base name and "001" suffix are found, no packages are installed and the action succeeds.

The program you select must meet the following criteria:

• It must run under the local system account and not the user account.

• It should not interact with the desktop. The program must run silently or in an unattended mode.

• It must not initiate a reboot on its own. The program must request a reboot using a 3010 return code. This ensures that the task sequence step will properly handle the reboot."

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

David

Friday, August 22, 2008 7:53 PM

Answers

• I agree with David. Could not find clear documentation on this in the help file but I figured this out when I opened a Support Incident with MS. We need to set these variables on collections as well. I got it working now.

Vamsi.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:05 PM

All replies

• I also have this exact question.

Friday, August 22, 2008 8:03 PM
  • If you want to install 10 applications just create a task sequence and add 10 software steps to it, then advertise the task sequence on a collection (my 10 apps) add machines to that collection and off you go.

You can use variables like this

you have a collection for department 1 you add a variable to that collection dep with value 1

department 2 has dep = 2

in the task sequence you have a software kit that you only want to deploy to department 1

so you add a condition to that software installation step that says

task sequence variable dep equals 1

now the software kit will be installed only on machines that are in the department 1 collection.

Is that clear?

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:10 PM
  •  

So do I take the packageID and put it in like this?

DV10001F,DV1000A,DV10009

Is that all I have to do?

Monday, August 25, 2008 8:09 PM
  •  

Just to check my understanding on this

Here is an example of what I did.

Collection name: Acrobat Install

Task Sequence Base Variable : AA

Task Sequence - Options tab- Add condition - Task Sequence Variable

Variable :AA001

Value: PackagID1Stick out tonguerogram1

Variable :AA002

Value: PackagID2Stick out tonguerogram2

Variable :AA003

Value: PackagID3Stick out tonguerogram3

Etc.....

On the Collection I set the Following Variable

Name :AA001

Value: PackagID1Stick out tonguerogram1

Name :AA002

Value: PackagID2Stick out tonguerogram2

Name :AA003

Value: PackagID3Stick out tonguerogram3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then Advertised the task sequence. Hope this is the correct procedure. But for some reason this is not working.

Please let me know if I am missing any step here.

Thanks!

Monday, August 25, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Okey you guys confuse me:

For plain software deployment you just need a collection with an program advertised on it.....

Task sequence are mostly to use with OS deployment

but...

Imagin you want to use a task sequence to deploy a series of software kits to clients and you want to use variables to determine which software is installed on which machine

You could go like this:

Collection "Software Deployment" + (Advertisment "TS Deploy Core Software to this collection and subcollection)

Subcollection Department A + Variable "Dep" Value = A (<-right click collection chose modify collection settings, collection variables)

machine 1

machine 2

machine x

Subcollection Department B + Variable "Dep" Value = B

machine 1

machine 2

machine x

Subcollection Department C + Variable "Dep" Value = C and Variable "VIP" Value = "yes"

machine 1

machine 2

machine x

Task Sequence "Deploy Core Software" -> advertised on Collection Software Deployment and subcollections!

Task Install Applications 1 + Task Sequence Variable "Dep" Value "A" and Variable "Dep" Value "B"

Task Install Applications 2 + Task Sequence Variable "Dep" Value "A"

Task Install Applications 3 + Task Sequence Variable "Dep" Value "B"

Task Install Applications 4

Task Install Applications 5 + Task Sequence Variable "Dep" Value "A" and Variable "Dep" Value "B"

Task Install Applications 6 + Task Sequence Variable "Dep" Value "C"

Task Install Applications 7 + Task Sequence Variable "Vip" Value "yes"

Machines in the collection Software Deployment will only get Application 4

Machines in the Department A subcollection will recieve Applications 1, 2, 4 and 5

Machines in the Department B subcollection will receive Applications 1,3,4,5

Machines in the Department C subcollection will receive Applications 4, 6 and 7

Two beers coming my way !!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:37 AM
  • It's looks like you are doing this a little different then what I cut and paste from the documentation above. You are suppose to use a 001, 002 and so forth if you have mutiple things to install using a task sequence. I did not know you had to put a variable on the collection you are pushing the applications to because there is nothing in the documentation I read saying to do it that way.

If you can get them to work, using a task sequence outside OSD is one of the great things about SCCM. I will try what you have mentioned above as soon as I can and if it works you get the two beers.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:53 AM
  • I agree with David. Could not find clear documentation on this in the help file but I figured this out when I opened a Support Incident with MS. We need to set these variables on collections as well. I got it working now.

Vamsi.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Who reads the documentation anyway, click and pray thats the spirit

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:08 PM
  • I wanted to be sure there was visibility for the updates for more and better feedback.  The docs for OSD Task Sequence variables have been updated:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb632442.aspx

If you have additional feedback or want to see more details on a particularly TS action, please contact smsdocs@microsoft.com

Thank you,
    Nathan
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:21 PM
  • IMO Microsoft's implementation of Core Business and Line of Business application devlievery via the Task sequence is poor..

This is especially evident if you are working in a very structured/controlled environment where you may have a TS that is in UAT/DEV/PROD..

You will notice that when you export and import a TS, you need to re-associate any software install packages that you have defined as an Install Software task... this can become very tedious if you have to install a number of applications post image delivery, but still want to achieve this via the TS without complicating the SCCM infrastructure with Collection based variables...

To get around this HUGE oversight, I simply create a single package that is pushed to ALL task sequence environments... this contains a VBScript and an XML file....

The XML file holds all the applications that I need to install (seperated by Hardware Types / Region Types / Line Of Business).

The script then enumerates the XML package information and dynamically builds the Task Sequence variables as defined in the SCCM documentation...

I then simply have 1 install software task, that actually installs any number of SCCM packages...

/BlUNt
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 4:01 PM