none
SCVMM Admin Console on Windows 7 - No preview thumbnails

Question

• Hi,

I am running Windows 7 RTM on my laptop.  I've installed the SCVMM 2008 admin console, and everything is working correctly, except I don't see any preview thumbnails in the lower part of the console.  If I click "connect to virtual machine" it works fine.  Is there a workaround for this?  Thanks. 

To add to this.  When I do select "connect to virtual machine", it always connects at 1440x900, rather than the native resolution on the server.  Thanks. 
    • Edited by cdady Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:46 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:36 PM

Answers

• The Windows 7 operating system is support OS for management console. make sure that you configured the firewall on your VMM server to accept connection from clients.

If this post is helpful, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi cdady,

SCVMM 2008 did not yet support Windows 7. You will need to upgrade to SCVMM 2008 R2 in order to get a fully operationly Windows 7 client experience. What is happening here is that SCVMM 2008 running on Windows 7 detects this as Vista. It then looks at what service pack # you have and it will be SP 0. Now Vista does not support full connections to hyper-v VMs until SP1 ( where CredSSP support was added) so SCVMM 2008 assumes your client does not have the ability to connect to the VM via talking with the hyper-v host. As a fall back, we use Remote Desktop when you say "Connect to VM", but thumbnails are disabled to avoid you having to enter credentials every time you select a VM (since remote desktop needs crednetials). You probably notice that when you say connect to vm you have to enter credentials ( unless they are saved or single sign on is enabled ), which if you have a CredSSp style connection via the host this would not happen.

So to work around this you can use a Vista SP1 or Windows XP Sp3 (with CredSSP enabled) client in order to connect sucessfully with SCVMM 2008.

You can also upgrade to SCVMM 2008 R2 and this should also resolve your issue and allow you to use Windows 7.

If you already have SCVMM 2008 R2 and for some reason are still experiencing this issue let me know.

-James
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Hi,

I upgraded SCVMM to R2 yesterday.
    I also upgraded my SCVMM Admin Console on my Windows 7 computer but i still have the problem. SCVMM tries to connect via RDP... That's not what i want.

It works fine if i use the admin console from the SCVMM server himself.

Please help!
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 1:31 PM
  • The Windows 7 operating system is support OS for management console. make sure that you configured the firewall on your VMM server to accept connection from clients.

If this post is helpful, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:06 PM