none
sms_offer_status_summarizer goes to critical with stand-alone media

Question

• I have an SCCM 2007 SP2 R2 environment. We currently utilize OSD with stand-alone media to deploy systems via fully bootable USB. We do not use PXE-boot in production nor other methods such as WDS.

When deploying systems with stand-alone media via the bootable USB, the SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER goes to critical with the following message (ID 3814)

SMS Offer Status Summarizer cannot process a status message because it contains the invalid Advertisement ID "{6EE7B3A3-1DD7-4711-B6FA-B996B0FE108B}". As a result, the Advertisement Status summary data in the SMS Administrator console may be inaccurate.

The message (ID 10005) was reported by component "Software Distribution" on computer "12345" at site CS1 on 3/5/2012 1:27:46 PM. Please refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base for more information.

What is odd, is that there is no advertisement neither PXE or other targetted to that system that is being built. I have tracked down the Advertisement ID, and it does not relate to any existing or active advertisement. However the agent is reporting status during OSD to the central Site Server. Even if I delete the task sequence advertisement completely the build/agent will still report to SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER

The task sequence has the make this task sequence available to PXE and boot media enabled.

These are the scenarios and all are repeatable:

• If I deploy using bootable media with a linked task sequence advertisement then there are no messages in SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER to throw it to critical. Client reports to CS1 status of step and deployment.
    • If I keep the task sequence advertisement (collection All unknown computers) and use stand-alone media the SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER shows above warning mesage and goes to critical
    • If I delete the task sequence advertisement and use stand-alone media the SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER shows above warning mesage and goes to critical. Which is odd, because the link between the actual OSD task sequence and the advertisement is deleted...
    • If I link my task sequence advertisement to my blank collection and use stand-alone media the SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER shows above warning mesage and goes to critical. Which is odd, because the computer is not in the blank collection and could not possible pick up the advertisement details.
    • If i disable my task sequence advertisement and use stand-alone media the SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER shows above warning mesage and goes to critical

After I deploy the image and inject the drivers I install the post image standard apps. These are apps that are in SCCM and have packages and programs. For the programs

Allow this program to be installed from the Install Software task  sequence without being advertised
    is enabled. All messages seem to be related to the post installs of applications.

Is this a bug in the OSD stand-alone media and SCCM 2007 SP2 R2?

Monday, March 05, 2012 1:50 PM

Answers

• Update.

According to Microsoft support this is to be expected (but it is not documented anywhere...... !~!). It would appear to be a red-herring caused by the way the stand-alone media operates.....

The 'advertisement' (in question/invalid) is basically created when the stand-alone media is created and exclusive to the stand-alone media. It is not registered anywhere in the ConfigMgr database. Hence the messages "inavlid Advertisement ID". The systems being built by the stand-alone media are reporting back, because they are connected to the network as my task sequence involves a domain join. The advertisement ID can be seen in the CreateTSmedia.log.

Had I not connected my machines to the domain then the status messages would not arrive at the central site for processing.

Microsoft has advised me to create a status filter rule to ignore status messages 3814 from SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER and increment its priority so it is the top status filter rule.

Success: Filter Properties:

<dir>

Source: ConfigMgr Server

Site code: not specified

System: not specified

Component: SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER

Message type: not specified

Severity: not specified

Message ID: 3814

Property: not specified

Property value: not specified

</dir>

Success: Filter Actions:

<dir>

Write to database: No

Report to event log: No

Replicate to parent site: No

Run a program: No

Do not forward to summarizers: Yes

Do not process lower priority status filter rules: Yes

</dir>

I am sharing this with you all.

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, March 16, 2012 9:55 AM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:42 AM

All replies

• My guess is that you have an old stand-alone media. The TS sequence that pas put on the media no longer exist. The stand-alone media takes all of its policy and content from the media. Those may no longer exist on the site.
    Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Hi Kerwin.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I wish that was true. All packages are current. All media is current.

If I build from bootable media then I have no 3814 messages. All of my USB media is current. I build my USB stand-alone media immediately after that. To exclude it was related to the advertisement of the task sequence I did two tests.

1 Built the USB stand-alone media and used it with a machine with the task sequence advertisement still targetted to 'unknown computers' -> result SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER goes to critical with 3814 messages.

2 unlinked my task sequence advertisement and linked it to my 'blank' collection and rebuilt my standalone USB media, machine built -> result SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER goes to critical with 3814 messages.

3 deleted the task sequence advertisement and rebuilt my standalone USB media, machine built -> result SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER goes to critical with 3814 messages.

The task sequence still exist in the console.

I find this odd, because according to the manuals and guides OSD task sequences do not actually process advertisements of programs when the task sequence is running as the client is in provisioning mode.

Need to open a case with Microsoft on this one....

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:52 PM
  • Update.

According to Microsoft support this is to be expected (but it is not documented anywhere...... !~!). It would appear to be a red-herring caused by the way the stand-alone media operates.....

The 'advertisement' (in question/invalid) is basically created when the stand-alone media is created and exclusive to the stand-alone media. It is not registered anywhere in the ConfigMgr database. Hence the messages "inavlid Advertisement ID". The systems being built by the stand-alone media are reporting back, because they are connected to the network as my task sequence involves a domain join. The advertisement ID can be seen in the CreateTSmedia.log.

Had I not connected my machines to the domain then the status messages would not arrive at the central site for processing.

Microsoft has advised me to create a status filter rule to ignore status messages 3814 from SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER and increment its priority so it is the top status filter rule.

Success: Filter Properties:

<dir>

Source: ConfigMgr Server

Site code: not specified

System: not specified

Component: SMS_OFFER_STATUS_SUMMARIZER

Message type: not specified

Severity: not specified

Message ID: 3814

Property: not specified

Property value: not specified

</dir>