none
SCCM Power Mgmt WMI Classes Issue

Question

• Hi, I had implemetned SCCM R3 succesfully and leveraging it well to 1) get power mgmt reports from clients 2) Enforce Power Policies successfully. All of sudden clients throwing messages that they cant receive power policy (created a collection level) any more.
    Ref:
    1) Pwrprovider.log Throw continoulsy Failed to read ValueUnitsSpecifier
    2) Inventoryagent.log has Collection: Namespace = root\ccm\policy\machine\actualconfig; Query = SELECT __CLASS, __PATH, __RELPATH, NonPeakPowerPlanName, PeakPowerPlanName, PowerConfigID FROM CCM_PowerConfig; Timeout = 600 secs.                Unknown error encountered processing an instance of class CCM_PowerConfig: 80041017         
    3) Policyeevaluator.log shows Failed to load policies from XML.
    Not found (Error: 80041002; Source: WMI) 
    Bad policy dumped to C:\WINDOWS\system32\CCM\Temp\badpolicy-SMS_MU1-IN1000A1-{67dbe712-dc18-4e4b-918f-34b0144b559c}-1.00-{27372469-6b7f-41fe-9f2c-2f45c7ecb259}.txt
    Already sent a policy rule application failure status message within the last 6 hours, not sending. PolicyAgent_PolicyEvaluator 
    Failed to apply policy rule {27372469-6b7f-41fe-9f2c-2f45c7ecb259}. PolicyAgent_PolicyEvaluator 17-03-2011 10:17:05 7264 (0x1C60)
    The policy CCM_Policy_Policy4.PolicyID="IN1000A1-{67dbe712-dc18-4e4b-918f-34b0144b559c}",PolicySource="SMS:MU1",PolicyVersion="1.00" failed to compile. State has been set to 'Inactive' and policy will be rolled back. 
    Failed to update policy CCM_Policy_Policy4.PolicyID="IN1000A1-{67dbe712-dc18-4e4b-918f-34b0144b559c}",PolicySource="SMS:MU1",PolicyVersion="1.00" 

I found that issue is Power Policies crated at SCCM fails to read/interpret by Agent to create a local power policy. This is due to incorrect name that appears in WMI classes pertains to Power Mgmt on client, versus what comes from server. Policy doesn’t find right values in to place a policy hence power polocy creation fails. Policyevluation log shows that it fails to give the power policy to agents, because it doesn’t find values pertains to below WMI class

SCCM Policy from Server

SCCM Client Contains  (CCM_PowerConfig)

Got extra word “Name” as highlighted

NonPeakPowerPlan

PeakPowerPlan

PowerConfigID

NonPeakPowerPlanName

PeakPowerPlanName

PowerConfigID

Now, how can we find what is the root cauase and importnatly how to fix this issue ?

Vasu
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 5:02 AM

Answers

• Hello guys,

I've had the same problem. Yesterday I've contacted customer support, and with some smart Indian guys we found solution (first we manually added correct CollectionSettings.mof, then we compiled it (mofcomp CollectionSettings.mof at C:\Windows\System32\CCM\) and restarted service ... it helped!

And this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2536089/ helps also! Does the same - adds new collectionsettings.mof! So I've tested it on some clients and seems to be working well! 

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:30 AM

All replies

• Issue: We are evaluating SCCM R3 features and successful in 1) Collecting the power reports data from clients and 2) Enforce policy successfully for last couple of weeks, this was a working setup. Recently started to observe that SCCM R3 Clients, those which has KB 2444668 (Asset Intelligence KB) installed on them,  fails to read the power policies from SCCM. Power Options in control panel doesn’t show the policy assigned from SCCM server but falls back to default one chosen randomly from OS. Below is some info that helps you to understand this issue…

1st level (Glimpse):

1)      Pwrprovider.log (Failed to read ValueUnitsSpecifier)

2)      Policyevaluator.log (Namespace = root\ccm\policy\machine\actualconfig; Query = SELECT __CLASS, __PATH, __RELPATH, NonPeakPowerPlanName, PeakPowerPlanName, PowerConfigID FROM CCM_PowerConfig

Unknown error encountered processing an instance of class CCM_PowerConfig: 80041017  )

2<sup>nd</sup> level (Observations):

1)      CCM_PowerConfig has WMI class that is created along SCCM R3 (KB 977384) which contains/should contain values DurationInSec, NonPeakPowerPlan, NonPeakPowerPlanName, PeakPowerPlan, PeakPowerPlanName, PeakStartTimeHoursMin, PowerConfigID, WakeUpTimeHoursMin. Power policies created on SCCM server are evaluated by client and then will be stored client OS Power Options, with the help of this WMI class.

2)      We found that Issue arise because PeakPowerPlanName and NonPeakPowerPlanName values in CCM_PowerConfig doesn’t appear anymore/disappears and SCCM Agent/Policy expects these values for successful offerings of power policy, hence power policy fails

3<sup>rd</sup> level (Investigation):

1)      It was our observation that Asset Intelligence KB 2444668, once installed is removing above values and causing SCCM Power policy evaluation failures. Agent at 4.00.6487.2157 works, but 4.00.6487.2161 which is result of AI KB and it fails

Have any of you observed the order of “SCCM Agent + SCCM R3 (KB977384) + Asset Intelligence Patch (KB2444668) breaks Power Mgmt to fail on agents. You can just try the same order

Vasu
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 5:03 AM
  • I forwarded this to Microsoft. Thanks for your investigations.
    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 9:17 AM
  • You really should open a case with Microsoft CSS regarding this so that they are aware of it and can try to verify your thoughts on it.
    Wally Mead
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:07 AM
  • Have you contacted CSS yet?

Wally Mead
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:24 AM
  • Have you contacted CSS yet?

I don't know if he contacted CSS, but Erin is aware of this issue and a kb article is in the works.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Would you know if any progress has been on this?  I have several older OS clients (2K3) that are displaying the same behavior.  CCM client has been completely uninstalled then reinstalled.  WMI repairs run, CCM repairs run...about everything we can think of.  After install only 4 actions appear on in the Configuration Manager Properties - Actions tab.  Several badpolicy txt files are generated in the Temp directory.  Was just wondering if anyone had made any progress on this one.  Thanks.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Sounds like you should contact product support and then respond with what they come back with for you.

If it is a product issue, then the call would be free.

Wally Mead
    • Proposed as answer by Abhijit 19 Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:34 AM
    Tuesday, July 05, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Hello guys,

I've had the same problem. Yesterday I've contacted customer support, and with some smart Indian guys we found solution (first we manually added correct CollectionSettings.mof, then we compiled it (mofcomp CollectionSettings.mof at C:\Windows\System32\CCM\) and restarted service ... it helped!

And this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2536089/ helps also! Does the same - adds new collectionsettings.mof! So I've tested it on some clients and seems to be working well! 

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:30 AM