none
Update acrobat reader with sccm

Question

• Hi all-

I want to update in all my computers acrobat reader.

I have installed the version 9.1.2... Its complicate because i think its necesary update > 9.1.3 > 9.2 > 9.3 > 9.3.1 > 9.3.2 > 9.3.3 > 9.3.4 > 9.4. This is very complicated... I need to make 8 deployments or 4 if i use quaterly updates.Its possible make all the deployment in one, with dependencies in the software package?

Can anyone help me?What is the best form to can update acrobat reader starting in the 9.1.3 version?

Thanks ¡¡

Monday, October 18, 2010 7:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    Yes, you can achieve that in two ways:

1. Create a task sequence with conditions and multiple Install software steps (one step for each unique adobe reader update)
    2. Create a script like the one Matthew Hudson has described http://sms-hints-tricks.blogspot.com/2009/05/deploy-adobe-acrobat-updates.html

Kent Agerlund | http://scug.dk/ | The Danish community for System Center products
    Monday, October 18, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Although most Adobe updates are not cumulative and you do have to apply several updates like you said, major versions can be applied to existing installs.

So Reader 9.4 can be applied to exsting installs of 9.3.4 or 9.3.2 etc.

I'd suggest get the MSI from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.4.0/en_US/ and deploy that one package. It will install on PCs that don't have Reader yet or upgrade existing installs.

You can get the Adobe Customization Wizard from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3993 – that allows you to configure settings like access to Adobe.com, the EULA, turning off automatic updates etc. It creates na MST file.

Ian Broadbent

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Its dificult because i have some versions installed. For example some computers have the 9.1.1 version, another computers have the version 8.1.2 etc...

I can group this machines in diferents collections for example...

Or i can uninstall al adobe reader version off all the machines and install the last version for example.

What do you think about this...

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 6:40 AM
  • You should take a look at some of Angie Stahl's post on updating reader using SCUP.

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/katzchen63/archive/2010/06/30/scup-adobe-reader-amp-acrobat-standard-amp-pro-9-3-3.aspx

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jmarcum |
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Thanks but for scup i need previous versions installed. For example in some computers i have 8.1.2 installed.
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:44 PM
  • I did a reader upgrade using a script recently that worked on all version tested as far back as version 6. I deployed that as a software package. Maybe you could do that to get all clients up to a current version then use scup to keep them up to date?

here's the script, it does reader and flash at the same time.

option explicit
    DIM strComputer,strProcess
    Dim WshShell
    Set WshShell=CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    On Error Resume Next

strComputer = "." ' local computer
    strProcess = "iexplore.exe"

' Check if IE is running on specified computer (. = local computer)
    if isProcessRunning(strComputer,strProcess) then
    iResponse = WshShell.Popup("Please save your work and click OK to close Internet Explorer." & chr(13) & "WARNING: OK will be automatically selected in 2 minutes.",120,"Adobe Upgrade Needs to Close IE")

else
    iResponse = WshShell.Popup("Please do not open Internet Explorer until Adobe Upgrade completes" & chr(13) & "A notification will be displayed once the install completes.",120,"Adobe Upgrade")
    END IF

' Kill off any remaining Internet Browser processes
    WshShell.Run "taskkill.exe /IM iexplore.exe",0,TRUE
    WshShell.Run "uninstall_flash_player.exe -uninstall -force",0,true
    WshShell.Run "msiexec /I AdbeRdr930_en_US.msi TRANSFORMS=AcroRead.mst /QN ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS",0,true
    WshShell.Run "msiexec /p AdbeRdrUpd932_all_incr.msp /qn",0,true
    WshShell.Run "msiexec /p AdbeRdrUpd933_all_incr.msp /qn",0,true
    WshShell.Run "msiexec /p AdbeRdrUpd934_all_incr.msp /qn",0,true
    WshShell.Run "msiexec /I install_flash_player_10_active_x.msi /qn ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS",0,true

iResponse = WshShell.Popup("Adobe upgrade completed." & chr(13) & "It is now safe to open Internet Explorer." & chr(13) & "Some pages may not display correctly until you restart your computer.",1800,"Adobe Upgrade")

' Function to check if a process is running
    function isProcessRunning(byval strComputer,byval strProcessName)

Dim objWMIService, strWMIQuery

strWMIQuery = "Select * from Win32_Process where name like '" & strProcessName & "'"

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
      & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" _
       & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

if objWMIService.ExecQuery(strWMIQuery).Count > 0 then
      isProcessRunning = true
     else
      isProcessRunning = false
     end if

end function

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jmarcum |
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:59 AM
  • Just deploy 9.4 to all PCs - it's a full install and will work regardless if a PC has 9.1.x or 8.x etc. or if it does not have any Reader version installed.

The Properties in the 9.4 MSI show that earlier versions of Reader get upgraded if they exist.

Ian Broadbent

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:36 AM
  • Just deploy 9.4 to all PCs - it's a full install and will work regardless if a PC has 9.1.x or 8.x etc. or if it does not have any Reader version installed.

The Properties in the 9.4 MSI show that earlier versions of Reader get upgraded if they exist.

Ian Broadbent

Omg, its true ¡¡

Thanks all.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:02 AM