none
2 computers are PXE-booting, 1 is not. Why?

Question

• Hi,

I'm currently setting up my OS deployment environment in SCCM. So far everything is working really good after some tweaking here and there.

One problem I have though is with one client that doesn't PXE-boot like the other two models.

I'm using following computer models:

Fujitsu Siemens E5720 (Stationary) (PXE-boots) - Drivers has been injected for this model in WinPE

Fujitsu Siemens S7220 (Laptop) (PXE-boots) - Drivers has not been injected for this model in WinPE

Fujitsu Siemens S6420 (Laptop) (Does not PXE-boot correctly) - Drivers has not been injected for this model in WinPE

All these computers are brand new. Nothing has been done with them, configurationwise.

Any advice on what the problem could be, in this case, would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Fredrik

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:11 AM

Answers

• Can you please look at the SMSPXE.log file to see why the PXE server is rejecting the client?

The most common reasons why a client would failt to PXE boot are:

1. There are not advertisements for the client. You need to make sure that the client is indeed in the collection where you advertised the task sequence.

2. The imported client information does not match the client. The SMSPXE.log will tell you what the MAC address and SMBIOS ID of the client is, and this is what the PXE server will use to look-up the client. This should match the system record for the client.

3. There are no boot images for the architecture of the client. Make sure that you have replicated both the 32-bit and 64-bit boot images on the PXE DP share.

Either way, the SMSPXE.log file should tell you what the exact failure is.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:58 PM

All replies

• I assume you are testing on the same subnet? What message is the failing Laptop showing during the tried boot?

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:19 PM
  • Yes, they are on the very same subnet.

I get the following errors:

PXE-boot aborted. Booting to next device.

PXE-M0F: Exiting BootManage PXE ROM.

Thanks,

Fredrik

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Does any of the other computers do a successfull PXE Boot now? One of the two that did work before? (We need to see if it is the specific PC or if SCCM has run into trouble)

You did restart the SCCM server?

Your SCCM runs on Windows Server 2008 or 2003?

You checked on the Computer Object in SCCM that there are any OS deployments are published to it? If you tried a different advertisement for this PC then for the others before, check if the Task Sequence is marked for being available for PXE, since that is not the default. I did miss that more then once in originally publishing an OS Installation Task Sequence...

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Hi again! Thanks for your quick response.

In fact, I went back and tried to boot the two computers that did work before. Now they don't at all. I don't know what is happening. I run the WDS on a separate machine and I have removed the WDSPXE filter since I won't need it for any unknown computer.

I haven't restarted the SCCM server. Is that something you normally would have to do if the system is in a stable mode?

SCCM runs on Windows Server 2008.

I have a collection called "Install Windows Vista". In that collection I have imported my test clients via "Computer Import Information". There is also an active advertisement for this collection. I have cleared the PXE boot for the collection and deleted the advertisement and then re-advertised it again. It still doesn't work. The task sequence has been marked for PXE boot.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Hi Fredrik,

by your description it looks like the problem is not with the client but with the server. I had some nice time to fight something alike. Since in my case the PXE server resides on the SCCM server itself I can't tell you how to resolve the problem exactly but I still can tell you what helped in my case:

For me it seems that the clients don't receive information about their advertisements at all. The Messages you get on PXE boot are the same you get when there are no advertisements. First let's see if there is still some problem with the computer objects itself in SCCM:

Regarding the Laptop that never did succeed with PXE Boot you can check if the Computer Object in SCCM has the correct Mac-Address or Guid. The other two computers where moved into the domain during installation? Then you might need to delete the computer object and import it again because the data object is marked to not "overinstall" the same computer again.

If the obove doesn't help:

In a similar situation I did restart my Server. as a result the messages did change, the PXE server missed a file. In your case that might have a different result, since you use two servers. So I think it best if you try to reboot the SCCM server first. If nothing changes you can concentrate on the PXE server afterwards. But I think it could be a service issue. If it didn't help, reboot the PXE server. If the same happens that does in case of the one server installation you should get latest here a message on PXE boot of a client that some file was not found. In that case check if the \RemoteInstall\SMSboot\x86 (or x64) folder on your PXE server contains any files. There is an issue with rights problems on %Windir%\temp on server 2008 that can prevent the deletion of temporary files in this folder. That blocks the generation of new Boot images. That issue can be cured for one time by deleting the content of the Folder manually.

But I still hope the first Reboot does the job for you. Anyway I would be happy to get notice where the problem lies in an two server environment to understand the real roots.

Regards,

Uwe

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Can you please look at the SMSPXE.log file to see why the PXE server is rejecting the client?

The most common reasons why a client would failt to PXE boot are:

1. There are not advertisements for the client. You need to make sure that the client is indeed in the collection where you advertised the task sequence.

2. The imported client information does not match the client. The SMSPXE.log will tell you what the MAC address and SMBIOS ID of the client is, and this is what the PXE server will use to look-up the client. This should match the system record for the client.

3. There are no boot images for the architecture of the client. Make sure that you have replicated both the 32-bit and 64-bit boot images on the PXE DP share.

Either way, the SMSPXE.log file should tell you what the exact failure is.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:58 PM