none
Remove computers from built-in group

Question

• I am currently trying to remove servers from several built-in groups that "discovered" them when the agent was installed.  Primarily these are the print servers groups "Microsoft Windows 2003 Print Servers Computer Group", "Microsoft Windows 2000 Print Servers Computer Group" and "Microsoft Windows Printer Servers Computer Group". 

What I have tried so far is to use a disable override for discovery of all three groups, targeted at the group "All Computers".  Then I ran the command "Remove-DisabledMonitoringObject" from the powershell console.  If I then go to Monitoring -> Discovered Inventory and scope down to one of the three groups, it still shows all 89 servers still in that group. 

I have also tried going directly to Authoring -> Management Pack Objects -> Object Discoveries and looked for "Print Servers" and added a disable override for the group "All Computers" for the discoveries directly, then ran the shell command, with the same results, all objects are still listed as discovered for those groups. 

Any suggestions on how to remove these servers from these groups?

My goal was to create a custom group with the explicit members being my two print servers and set up enable overrides for the three print server groups so that they monitor just my three print servers (and I don't get alerts for the other 87 servers about printing services).
    Friday, October 30, 2009 9:59 PM

Answers

• If they were previously discovered as members of the group, and the group was created by management pack discovery (say, print server) then the discoveries have to execute on those computers and then return empty discovery data.  Disabling discovery will have the opposite impact of what you are trying to make happen. 

For you to be successful here, you needed to create a group for your own computers, include your two computers in this group.  Then create a global override that disables all discoveries on the print server management pack.  Then create a scoped override that enables the discoveries in the print server management pack for your computer group.

The discovery interval will need to pass before you will see any changes in roup memeberships.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:30 PM

All replies

• i cannot check it at this moment. but please check what kind of objects are in the 'discovered' printer servers group. are you sure they are computer objects and not windows role objects? your overrides should match the objects you see in the group.
    Greetz,

Arie de Haan
    MVP SCOM
    This posting is provide "AS IS" with no guarantees, warranties, rigths etc.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:17 PM
  • If they were previously discovered as members of the group, and the group was created by management pack discovery (say, print server) then the discoveries have to execute on those computers and then return empty discovery data.  Disabling discovery will have the opposite impact of what you are trying to make happen. 

For you to be successful here, you needed to create a group for your own computers, include your two computers in this group.  Then create a global override that disables all discoveries on the print server management pack.  Then create a scoped override that enables the discoveries in the print server management pack for your computer group.

The discovery interval will need to pass before you will see any changes in roup memeberships.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:30 PM

Microsoft Corporation

Okay, time for the question that marks me as inexperienced.  How does one do a global override that disables all discoveries from the print server management pack?  The only way I know how is to find the individual object discoveries and override them one at a time.  And I was able to do that, and it emptied the management pack of servers (took a day for it to refresh) but when I did a second override for the group containing my two print servers, a) it didn't want to accept it as an override until I disabled that group, then enabled it, and b) had no effect, the print server management pack items did not see my print servers at all. 
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:19 AM
  • Still need help with this?
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:10 AM
  • When you look at discoveries in a management pack, there can be a lot.  However usually there is a seed class that is the starter for all the other discoveries (unless it's the nasty IIS nested you shall never stop my additional five discoveries type of situation).  I believe if you look at the discoveries you might see one that is targeting another class, then the rest might target the "print server X class".  So if you find the seed classes, and over ride those, you don't need to over ride the other discoveries because they are dependant on the seed discovery.  One thing you can do, if you don't like looking in the console at all of this, is export the mp via powershell so you get the .xml version of it and use the tools like MPViewer to look at the MP and see a little deeper, not to mention its a bit more organized view.
    Regards, Blake Email: mengottohotmail.com Blog: http//discussitnow.spaces.live.com
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:29 PM