none
Exchange connector remove screendump from e-mails

Question

• Hi

We are running SCSM 2010 with latest cu-patch and latest Exchange connector.

When a user sends an e-mail with a screendump in the e-mail, the object is removed when imported into SCSM. However if you include both an attachement and a screendump, they both are imported correctly. Anyone experienced the same?

Does anyone have any sugguestions on how we can solve this?

Regards,

Arne

Friday, January 27, 2012 1:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Arne,

Yes, Exchange Connector v3 is for 2012.

One way to solve this in SCSM2010 is to use the out of the box functionallity to create incidents based upon incoming e-mail together with the Exchange Connector - it's not optimal, but I've seen people here on the forums that have solved it that way.

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Arne,

This is by design and is to prevent all those small signature and background pictures from filling the database. A lot of people have expressed that they can live with that, but I'm not sure whenever this has been changed in the upcoming version of the Exchange connector or not.

Regards
    //Anders

Friday, January 27, 2012 1:43 PM
  • It will change in the next version of Exchange Connector V3.0. Screenshots/pictures will be added as Related File in an incident.  
    Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Hi Anders

Thank you for your answer.

For us, this is a major set-back. Our previous (and crappy) helpdesk system supported this, so the users are now used to this functionality.

One strange thing thow, is that if you include both a screendump in your e-mail AND attachs for instance a Word-document, both end up as attachements.

So since this is a major show-stopper for us and the end users are complaining, do you have any solutions for this matter?

Regards,

Arne 

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:44 AM
  • Hi Andreas

Thank you for your answer.

To my knowledge, the version 3 of the connector is only for SCSM 2012. Or?

As I told Anders, this is a major issue for us since this was supported in our previous system.

So if you have any solutions for this, please let me know.

Regards,

Arne

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Hi Arne,

Yes, Exchange Connector v3 is for 2012.

One way to solve this in SCSM2010 is to use the out of the box functionallity to create incidents based upon incoming e-mail together with the Exchange Connector - it's not optimal, but I've seen people here on the forums that have solved it that way.

Regards
    //Anders

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Hi Anders,

I agree. This not optimal. Especially since we have implemented a quite complex workflow with notifications based on the Exchange connector. We didn't test this before putting the system in production...

We have implmented our change management procedure, with approval using e-mails since the portal is "unfinnished".  

Since this functionality already is implemented in V3.0, it can't be that difficult to update the connector for 2010. It's already working in V2.0 if you attache for instance a Word document to the same e-mail.....

Do you know who is responisble for developing this connector?

Regards,

Arne

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Yeah, Travis Wright at Microsoft is developing the Exchange connector. The SDK for Service Manager were changed between the 2010 and 2012 version, that's why it's not backwards compatible.

Aren't you planning to upgrade to SCSM2012 btw? There's plenty of reasons to upgrade (and I can't think of a single reason not to) :)

Regards
    //Anders

Thursday, February 09, 2012 7:45 AM