none
Can a physical tape device (SAS connected) be attached to a virtual server which sits on a Hyper-V 2012 host

Question

• I have Backup Exec 2012 running on a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine which sits on a Windows 2012 Hyper-V host.  I want to know if a SAS connected LTO5 tape drive can be connected to the physical Hyper-V 2012 server and made available to the Windows 2008 R2 VM?

I have been advised twice by Symantec that it is a supported scenario (to have a physical tape drive connected to a VM) but they have referred me to Microsoft to advise how this can be done in Hyper-V.  If anyone has any experience / knowledge / ideas related to this scenario it would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris624,

This in the VMware world is called an RDM device, but in Hyper-V I have only read about tape libraries that are iSCSI attached. This VM is likely to have large volumes of data pass through and could cause a bottle neck so consider thoroughly your decision to virtualise your backup media server. The master server sould be fine but media servers from experience are best left physical.

I do not have an environment in which to test this exactly but if your Host can see the device you will need to "pass through" that device to the VM as a Virtual piece of hardware, take a look at the Bus Configuration on the VM. 

I also found this link on Symantec, is it yours? http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/attach-physical-tape-drive-sas-hyper-v-2012-virtual-machine

Says Symantec so not support this scenario.

I think your only solution here will be iSCSI device if you must keep your backup media server a VM.

Just found this to so appears the answer is NO.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/373e0a18-7eec-4dc5-a8ad-9006e5c7e45b/tape-drive-in-child-partition?forum=winserverhyperv

• Edited by MrVirtual Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:43 AM
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:42 AM
  • I have Backup Exec 2012 running on a Windows 2008 R2 virtual machine which sits on a Windows 2012 Hyper-V host.  I want to know if a SAS connected LTO5 tape drive can be connected to the physical Hyper-V 2012 server and made available to the Windows 2008 R2 VM?

I have been advised twice by Symantec that it is a supported scenario (to have a physical tape drive connected to a VM) but they have referred me to Microsoft to advise how this can be done in Hyper-V.  If anyone has any experience / knowledge / ideas related to this scenario it would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

Hi! 

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but I have suggestion that may be useful for you. 

First of all - yes, what you want is achievable. I`m not sure if it is possible by using Windows features only, so I`ll suggest you the way that works guaranteed: you can use the tape to create the iSCSI target, which will be exported over the network after, so basically any other machine in the local network will be able to use it, including your VM.  I`d recommend you to stick with the StarWind Tape Redirector to achieve the goal of the plan that I`ve suggested, but it is up to you to decide to choose it oor to go with some else like datacore, open-e or something alike. 

Basically here is what StarWind suggest to do:

Monday, February 10, 2014 1:35 PM