none
SCE2010 "Computers" GUI unable to update itself after a client migration.

Question

• Hi there,

The issue is that my managed computers do not report accurately their state or specs. 

I have done a migration of servers so the operating systems has changed, the specs and all. The thing is that I did not remove the old computers from management as a first step, from the management console, my mistake. The computer name is the same as well as the IP since we've moved from 2003 servers to 2008. 

I wonder why through the administration console, in "Computers", "All virtual machines", the operating systems are accurately reported as well as their specs. Only through "All Windows Computer" (the managed ones) it does not show accurately.  It looks like the DB's can't update itself because the name and the ip of the machines are the same so it keeps on reading and loading the obsolete data. I have removed the computers from management and then re-integrated it but that's not enough. 

What's up with the databases management in SCE 2010? 

(please do not refer me to the page where it is asking to look at the registry for the sce server adress and port for reports and updates)

Here trying to make it better and easier. NV, Qc province.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi there,

The issue is that my managed computers do not report accurately their state or specs. 

I have done a migration of servers so the operating systems has changed, the specs and all. The thing is that I did not remove the old computers from management as a first step, from the management console, my mistake. The computer name is the same as well as the IP since we've moved from 2003 servers to 2008. 

I wonder why through the administration console, in "Computers", "All virtual machines", the operating systems are accurately reported as well as their specs. Only through "All Windows Computer" (the managed ones) it does not show accurately.  It looks like the DB's can't update itself because the name and the ip of the machines are the same so it keeps on reading and loading the obsolete data. I have removed the computers from management and then re-integrated it but that's not enough. 

What's up with the databases management in SCE 2010? 

(please do not refer me to the page where it is asking to look at the registry for the sce server adress and port for reports and updates)

In the registry of the managed computer, I do not see the usual reference modified (HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate).Nothing is modified there to refer to SCE 2010 despite most of the computers are reporting well to SCE.

Instead this is that path that is modified :HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\ , in which keys are pointing out the the SCE2010 server. The keys are (with the value):

CorporateWERPortNumber    : 51906

CorporateWERServer             : servername.mydomain.domain

CorporateWERUseAuthentication : 1

CorporateWERUseSSL                   :1

Managed computers are members of the proper AD group as well. I'm testing now with a new computer just to see if the keys are updating or not. I guess this is not an easy problem, I'd like to have some advice about managing the databases with SQL queries cause I really think that it is closely related.

Thank you for any relevant thoughts or advice!

Monday, April 16, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Hello,

Did you just update the SCE server from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008? If so, I'm afraid doing an inplace upgrade from Server 2003 to Server 2008 with SCE 2010 is actually not supported.  

Please tell us if I misunderstood anything.

Thanks,

Yog Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:38 AM
  • Hello M.Li,

Actually the SCE server itself has not been migrated or updated. It was and still is a 2008 R2 SP1 X64 server. I've re installed the SCE components cause it had a failure launching the management console so basically everything has been rebuild from scratch (DB, etc).No problem there.

The migration problem is only related to once managed computers (2003 server) that has been migrated to 2008 servers. Those computers has been removed from management and then re integrated inside SCE but the computers do not show up accurately their specs (OS, RAM, HDD, installed software) if not totally blank. I guess that SCE gets it wrong because the migrated computers still have the same old name and same old IP so maybe somewhere it is still seeing the "new" machine as the old ones? 

What steps should I perform now, knowing that the registry keys are ok (still testing with a test computer), the alerts are ok as well as everything else (as far as I can tell)?

Thank you 

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your clarifying.

In this scenario, I think you just need the following article to clear the database:

OpsMgr 2007 SP1 – Banish the Undead. How to remove “Not Monitored” dead agents.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/daviddixon/archive/2009/05/14/opsmgr-2007-sp1-banish-the-undead-how-to-remove-not-monitored-dead-agents.aspx

After that, you can re-add the "new" machine.

Thanks,

Yog Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:50 AM