none
Service Manager 2012 SP1 management console on Windows XP

Question

• I understand that the management console is not supposed to work on Windows XP and that, even if I could make it work, Microsoft will not support it.

That being said, has anyone had success making it work?  I have a large envronment with a majority of XP desktops.  We will be migrating them to Windows 7 ASAP but I need a solution for about 250 help desk individual with XP destops to run the console.

I have thought about RDP, Citrix, 3rd party web based cosole but all are very expensive.

Thoughts?

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Virtual PC with SCSM console inside.

SCSMSolutions
    email: freemanru (at) gmail (dot) com

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:20 AM
  • Ha, nice try, Virtual PC only runs on Windows 7 which I do not have, we have XP.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:45 PM
  • I suggest setting up SCSM Console on a supported server OS and grant access to users via terminal services. I'm not certain that running the console over TS is supported either but there is an example in technet of users running it in Windows\Citrix.  I doubt the XP clients have the hardware capable of running a VM but if you want to give it a try, look into use virtualbox since it is a free solution offering "seamless" mode capability similiar to XP mode.

Friday, April 19, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Service Pack Update for Virtual PC 2007 qualifying Windows Server 2008, Vista SP1 and XP SP3
    Additional Host Operating System support:
    Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Windows Vista® Business Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Windows Vista®  Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Friday, April 19, 2013 9:16 PM