none
SQL Server 2008 ports to open on Windows 2008 R2 Firewall

Question

• Hi

I installed SQL Server 2008 w/ SP1 on Windows Server 2008 R2.
    In order to keep the firewall up and have the SCOM Server connect to the SQL Server, I need to configure the firewall on the SQL Server server to allow the SCOM server to communicate with it.

Is there a standard procedure for configuring the firewall for the SCOM severs?

Thanks.

- Andre
    Friday, October 30, 2009 2:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Andre.

It is pretty straight forward actually.

Type in the searchbox firewall and select Windows Firewall with advanced security. Go to Inbound Rules and add the ports one by one:

New Rule > TCP > Specific Local Ports > Next > Domain > Next > Finish

Use these Ports:

135Transact SQL Debugger

1433SQL Traffic

1434SQL Browser Traffic

2383SQL Analytics Traffic

4022SQL Broker Traffic

Also, do not forget to enable SQL tgraffic. See this posting of mine: http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2009/09/while-installing-management-server-this.html

Best regards, Marnix Wolf

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:38 AM
  • This assumes that you are using a default instance of SQL .. if you are using a named instance then that by default uses a dynamic port rather than 1433. Best practice would be to configure to use a static port ... and open that.

Cheers

Graham
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Friday, October 30, 2009 10:23 AM
  • Thanks Gentlemen.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Thanks Graham. You are totally right here.

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Friday, October 30, 2009 1:44 PM
  • 1434 – SQL Browser Traffic must be on UDP port
    Monday, November 30, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Marnix,

You wrote 

>>>>

"Type in the searchbox firewall and select Windows Firewall with advanced security. Go to Inbound Rules and add the ports one by one:.."

>>>>

Don't we also need to open the firewall on the same ports for outbound traffic as well as inbound?

TIA,

Barkingdog

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:41 PM
  • By default all outbound traffic is allowed.
    Layne
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:31 PM
  • LayneR,

>>>> By default all outbound traffic is allowed.

Wow! I presumed that most outbound ports would be closed to prevent servers from being natural cadidates to send spam and broadcasts, etc out to other servers. Learn something new every .001 second.

Thandk,

Barkingdog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Grham Devies,

I need  help regarding database mirror,  I have two instance in server A and two instance in server B, i am configuring mirror between this two, I have successfully configured for named instance through GUI, while doing the same lister port automaticaly came (5022,5023) and while configuring default instance mirror lister port is pointing 5023 (for mirror server)again, hence mirroring failed, because already 5023 is allocated for named instance, how to change listener port for default instance while configuring mirro

Saturday, October 02, 2010 11:09 AM
  • This is SCOM discussion group. Please post your questions to SQL group.

Regards,
    Vik Singh

Grham Devies,

I need  help regarding database mirror,  I have two instance in server A and two instance in server B, i am configuring mirror between this two, I have successfully configured for named instance through GUI, while doing the same lister port automaticaly came (5022,5023) and while configuring default instance mirror lister port is pointing 5023 (for mirror server)again, hence mirroring failed, because already 5023 is allocated for named instance, how to change listener port for default instance while configuring mirro

Saturday, October 02, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Hi

This forum is all about SCOM and this thread is marked as answered. For questuons like yours you should go to another Forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/smallbusinessserver/threads

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Appreciate the help with the ports... added them to both Enterprise SQL 2008 servers (one is R2).  Does not work.

Error:

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to R2 Server.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=5&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

• Edited by Crakdkorn Sunday, October 31, 2010 2:54 PM need to be sure someone does not think these are something other than sql servers
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Thanks Marnix,  This is an excellant answer.  through this you have made me hero.  Thanks dude...

Friday, March 04, 2011 1:14 PM
  • The following KB addressed by SQL connection issues...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968872

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:42 PM
  • That's it! It worked for me!
    Thanks
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 3:13 PM