none
Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Planner

Question

•  

Hello to all the clever people reading this Wink

I have a query and was wondering if somene had the ingenious answer i am looking for.

I am currently trying to plan a single tier architecture install of WSS 3.0

Now i find the capacity planner even in all its ingenuity doesnt allow me to model it as a single tier architecture.

One thing that bugs me further is there is a server consolidation media file link in the right hand bar that doesnt take me to a server consolidation video....

is there a video that exists that will show me how to consolidate my servers so i can plan as per my requirements at all?

I hope someone can help

Regards

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:18 PM

Answers

• If you are trying to consolidate WFE (Web Front End) and SQL server roles into one machine, this tool does not allow it. It is actually a SharePoint best practice that the tool enforces to keep both these roles on separate machines.  If your customer/client base is very small and only needs one server, which is quite possible, then scalability is really not an issue for that customer.  If you are really thinking about capacity planning and scaling for growth, it would be best not to consolidate the WFE and SQL server roles.

Note: You can consolidate Search/Index/Query roles with the WFE machine. By default for WSS model, Search role runs on the same box as the WFE machine. Similarily for MOSS model, the query role runs on the same box as the WFE machine.

BTW, the video links will eventually point to an actual video (website needs to be updated)

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:54 AM

All replies

• If you are trying to consolidate WFE (Web Front End) and SQL server roles into one machine, this tool does not allow it. It is actually a SharePoint best practice that the tool enforces to keep both these roles on separate machines.  If your customer/client base is very small and only needs one server, which is quite possible, then scalability is really not an issue for that customer.  If you are really thinking about capacity planning and scaling for growth, it would be best not to consolidate the WFE and SQL server roles.

Note: You can consolidate Search/Index/Query roles with the WFE machine. By default for WSS model, Search role runs on the same box as the WFE machine. Similarily for MOSS model, the query role runs on the same box as the WFE machine.

BTW, the video links will eventually point to an actual video (website needs to be updated)

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Hi Satish

Many thanks for your help.

So if I am say considering implementing this WSS site for a user base of maybe 10 users slowly increasing to around 100 users?

Would it not make sense to go with a single tier but eventually ending up with a separate WFE and SQL server??

I need to do this as cost effectively as possible so i thought that a one box solution would make sense?

Do you know if it is difficult to then scale out a single tier implementation?

Thanks
    Monday, February 18, 2008 2:06 PM
  • Hello,
    Did you ever figure out if you could start with a Single Server WSS 3.0 installation and then move it to a WFE and SQL Server?
    I am in a similar situation except that we now have a requirement to move WSS from the Local Embedded SQL Server to a SQL Cluster.
    Tuesday, July 07, 2009 5:25 PM