none
Cloning problem - Error 824 - VMM cannot link to this ISO because it is not a standalone ISO stored in a library

Question

• I am new to SCVMM but I am trying to clone a VM. I am using SCVMM R2 RC and Hyper-V. I have working VMs on the Hyper-V box. I stop the VM. In the VMM console, I click on the VM to select it and then right click and select "Clone". Consistently on the second step which is the Hardware configuration, I get the error

VMM cannot link to this ISO because it is not a standalone ISO stored in a library.

Store the ISO image in the library or link to an ISO image in the library, and then try the operation again.

Error 824

What am I doing wrong? I sure can't seem to figure it out. Most everything else seems to be working. Thans.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:50 PM

Answers

• Seems like you attached a ISO image to the dvd drive of the Virtual Machine that you are trying to clone. In the Clone wizard when you are in the hardware configuration step under Bus configuration settings you will see Virtual DVD drive. Choose no media option for the Virtual DVD drive and that will do the job. Incase the Virtual DVD settings are disabled I would recommend you to create a new hardware profile with no virtual dvd attached and use this profile for the cloned machine.

Hope that helps.
    Ozan Veranyurt MCITP-MCT
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:52 AM

All replies

• Seems like you attached a ISO image to the dvd drive of the Virtual Machine that you are trying to clone. In the Clone wizard when you are in the hardware configuration step under Bus configuration settings you will see Virtual DVD drive. Choose no media option for the Virtual DVD drive and that will do the job. Incase the Virtual DVD settings are disabled I would recommend you to create a new hardware profile with no virtual dvd attached and use this profile for the cloned machine.

Hope that helps.
    Ozan Veranyurt MCITP-MCT
    Monday, July 20, 2009 5:52 AM
  • Thank you very much! That was the problem. It was the VMGuest.Iso that was left in the one DVD drive. I simply removed it and everything worked like it should. The error even positioned me to the IDE controller that had the problem but I never though of a DVD being left in the drive as being a problem. If that was in the documentation I missed it. Thanks again.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 6:44 PM
  • No worries. I am quite new to the product as well. There are still countable errors and bugs in the beta version
    Ozan Veranyurt MCITP-MCT
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:23 AM