none
Domain OU Selection in SCCM/MDT OSD

Question

• I've followed some instructions and added the following:

DomainOUList.XMl to the control folder
    Added SkipDomainMembership=NO to CustomSettings.ini

What else do I need to do so that I get a selection box for OU in build.

Friday, November 11, 2011 10:20 AM

All replies

• I've followed some instructions and added the following:

DomainOUList.XMl to the control folder
    Added SkipDomainMembership=NO to CustomSettings.ini

What else do I need to do so that I get a selection box for OU in build.

Did you follow this procedure?

http://deployment.xtremeconsulting.com/2009/12/11/friendly-names-when-selecting-the-domain-ou-in-mdt-2010/

With kind regards, Peter Daalmans www.systemcenterblog.nl
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Just to clarify... are you using MDT Lite touch (from a deployment share) or ConfigMgr OSD with MDT Integration?  The process you are using is for Lite Touch only, this forum is for ConfigMgr.  The MDT Lite Touch forum is here.

If you using ConfigMgr OSD with MDT then there are other ways of setting the OU.

Mark.

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:14 PM
  • I'm using ConfigMgr with MDT integration.

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Ok... in that case the process you are using will not work.  There are a number of ways of setting the OU.  Do you specificially want it to prompt for the OU during the task sequence or would you prefer a zero touch approach with the OU determined dynamically?  Also, do you currently use an MDT database?

Mark.

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I need it to Prompt as PCs are currently built in a build room on one site...

We are not using a database

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Well you may not need the prompt, it is still possible to achieve zero touch if that is desirable.  You can customise the task sequence environment using the OSD task sequence variables.  These variables can be assigned to collections or computer objects to customise the deployment process.  The OSD task sequence variables are detailed here.  The variables allow you to control the deployment process outside of the task sequence.

The variable which controls the OU is OSDDomainOUName.  You configure this variable with the LDAP path to the target OU.  The simplest way to achieve zero touch deployment, with a single task sequence and have the machines added to the appropriate OU is to create multiple collections and advertise the TS to each one.  Against each collection you can then set the OSDDomainOUName to the appropriate value.  You then import the new computer into ConfigMgr and add it to the appropriate collection.  When the Apply Network Settings TS action executes it will automatically adjust the OU setting in unattend.xml to the value in the OSDDomainOUName variable.  The same is true for all of the other TS action variables.

One thing to bear in mind is that this process is only applicable to new computers joining the domain, if the computer already exists in a different OU then it will not be moved to the target.  To achieve that you have to run a script or call a webservice to move the computer, there are many examples of this in this forum and the various OSD blogs.

If you are using unknown computer support and do not want to import bare metal computers into SCCM prior to deployment then you will have to look at using a script to prompt for the OU at the start of the task sequence and then based on the entered value set the OSDDomainOUName variable.  This is achievable in Windows PE so is OK for bare metal deployments, you cannot interact with the task sequence when it is running within the full OS without using the UDI feature from MDT (or borrowing their ServiceUI.exe component).  I don't use unknown computer support so other members of the forum may have some alternative ideas, using the MDT database may also be another option.

Mark.

• Edited by Mark_Thomas Friday, November 11, 2011 3:28 PM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Thanks Mark, we do use the Unknown computer support and would probably need to go down the Scripting route...

Hopefully someone else will drop by and point me in the right direction!

Friday, November 11, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Setting the TS variable via vbscript is very simple, but you will probably want a HTA of some description to query AD and give you a list of OU's etc. to choose from.  Have a look here at a sample from Chris Nackers.

Mark.

Friday, November 11, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Just followed the instructions and gave it a try, but it didn't show any variables and when I clicked run I just get an error:

This can be tested totally standalone cant it? i..e. with the XML, VBS and WizardEditor.Exe in a folder on their own?

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:04 AM