none
SCCM Client Issues during Task Sequence issues

Question

• Hi,

I'm having issues deploying a custom Windows XP SP3 wim. The Task Sequence completes sucessfully but the SCCM client is not reporting to the SCCM server. I've reviewed the client.msi.log and found that its stating that the client being installed is an older version to the once detected on the image. I have not installed the SCCM client onto the image so Im not sure why its detecting one installed. The client.msi.log lists the following errors:

Property(S): SmsDetectDowngrade_ErrorMessage = A newer version of the Configuration Manager Client is already installed
    Property(S): SmsDetectColocationDowngrade_ErrorMessage = A newer version of the SMS Management Point is installed. Cannot continue installing this version of the client.
    Property(S): SmsDetectUpgrade_ErrorMessage = An older version of the SMS Management Point is installed. Please upgrade the Management Point before attempting to upgrade the client.
    Property(S): SmsDetectUpgrade_ErrorMessage = An older version of the SMS Management Point is installed. Please upgrade the Management Point before attempting to upgrade the client.
    Property(S): InstallDialog_Warning = WARNING: Installing the advanced client on this computer may cause the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) and Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) services to stop and restart.
    Property(S): InstallErrorDialog_Title = Setup Aborted
    Property(S): InstallErrorDialog_SubTitle = Setup failed
    Property(S): InstallErrorDialog_Info = Setup encountered an error and could not continue.

I currently have a single SCCM 2007 server with 1 site running version 4.00.6221.1000 build 6221 (R2). If I manually push out an SCCM client to an already built machine with no client installed it works sucessfully. I can uninstall the client and reinstall it and it works fine. I've created the ConfigMgr client package from a definition and it seems to be the correct version number (4.00.6221.1000).

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers,

Shelton
    Friday, October 09, 2009 12:14 AM

Answers

• FIXED!!

My issue turned out to be that my OSD Task sequence was not correctly resetting the SCCM client out of provisioning mode at completion, therefore all other advertisements were being received, and not being processed by the client.

To see if you clients are in provisioning mode, check the Reg Key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\CcmExec]
    Check if the values
    “ProvisioningMode” and “SystemTaskExcludes” exists.

“ProvisioningMode”should be set to 'False' for normal operation, or 'True' if they are stuck in provisioning mode.
    “SystemTaskExcludes” will be blank for normal operation, or contain various values if its stuck in provisioning mode.

As soon as I corrected these values, the newly deployed machines displayed the program advertisements in the Run Advertised programs window.

Hope this helps people down the track! It cost me a call to Microsoft Pro Support to resolve.

• Marked as answer by 5-K Monday, November 02, 2009 12:32 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:55 AM
  • Shelton,

I am having a similar issue where I am unable to deploy software to any machines that are built as part of the SCCM task sequence. Machines that I install the client via a 'Client Push' work fine.

Something that I have built into my task sequence is a step to force the machine policy retrieval on the machine. It runs a bat file which uses 'sendschd.vbs' (part of the SMS 2003 toolkit) to force the policy.

Also ne sure that you dont have a Conflicting record in the SCCM console that you need to resolve (See conflicting records under collections) If you are like me and are rebuilding your test machines over and over again with different names, you will need to merge your records before the policies etc will be received.

For my issue, if I uninstall the client from the machine, restart, and reinstall, software deployment works fine. This leads me to belive that the client insallted on the image was not prepared properly as part of the capture sequence, and almost stays in a provisioning state. (recieves policies, but doesnt process them) Im going to try and build into my task sequence an uninstall and reinstall of the client. Not sure if this is possible, but Ill let you know how I get on.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, October 19, 2009 5:51 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:53 AM

All replies

• That part of the logfile just lists some msi properties and those are no errors. The actual return code of the msi should be listed in the last few lines of the log.
    Friday, October 09, 2009 7:40 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

At the end of the log it states:

MSI (s) (F4:F8) [16:31:37:640]: Note: 1: 1707
    MSI (s) (F4:F8) [16:31:37:640]: Product: Configuration Manager Client -- Installation operation completed successfully.
    MSI (s) (F4:F8) [16:31:37:655]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
    MSI (s) (F4:F8) [16:31:37:655]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
    MSI (s) (F4:98) [16:31:37:765]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
    MSI (s) (F4:1C) [16:31:37:780]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
    MSI (c) (28:A0) [16:31:37:780]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
    MSI (c) (28:A0) [16:31:37:780]: MainEngineThread is returning 0

Although it states the client installation operation completed sucessfully, I can see during the ConfigMgr part of the Task Sequence that its uninstalling something and then reinstalling. All I know is that all imaged computers do not download sccm policies while other manually installed sccm client installations work sucessfully. I am imaging laptops by adding the computer name and MAC address (Using Computer Association -> Import Computer Information) to a custom collection where the image is advertised. As stated, the imaging process works completly but the client will not send a heartbeat to the sccm server and download its policies. If I force the download and apply policy action or update data discovery record, it will respond to the server but only for that instance.

Thanks,

Shelton
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 10:39 PM
  • Shelton,

I am having a similar issue where I am unable to deploy software to any machines that are built as part of the SCCM task sequence. Machines that I install the client via a 'Client Push' work fine.

Something that I have built into my task sequence is a step to force the machine policy retrieval on the machine. It runs a bat file which uses 'sendschd.vbs' (part of the SMS 2003 toolkit) to force the policy.

Also ne sure that you dont have a Conflicting record in the SCCM console that you need to resolve (See conflicting records under collections) If you are like me and are rebuilding your test machines over and over again with different names, you will need to merge your records before the policies etc will be received.

For my issue, if I uninstall the client from the machine, restart, and reinstall, software deployment works fine. This leads me to belive that the client insallted on the image was not prepared properly as part of the capture sequence, and almost stays in a provisioning state. (recieves policies, but doesnt process them) Im going to try and build into my task sequence an uninstall and reinstall of the client. Not sure if this is possible, but Ill let you know how I get on.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Monday, October 19, 2009 5:51 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Hi ScottY_E,

I've created a batch file and set it to run during the task sequence which initiates the sendschd.vbs (Command: cscript \\UNCPATH\sendsched.vbs" {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000120}). I'm finding the policies are now being downloaded to the imaged computer successfully. I don't (and never did) have any conflicting records in the SCCM console.

I agree with your theory that the imaged computers leave the client is in a provisioning state and which don't download the policies correctly. I've still fine tunnig the running of the sendsched.vbs in the task sequence but its a satisfactory work around if the client continues to function correctly (send a heartbeat to the SCCM server etc). I'll test this over next few days and keep you posted.

Thanks for your assistnance.

Regards,

Shelton
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:35 AM
  • FIXED!!

My issue turned out to be that my OSD Task sequence was not correctly resetting the SCCM client out of provisioning mode at completion, therefore all other advertisements were being received, and not being processed by the client.

To see if you clients are in provisioning mode, check the Reg Key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CCM\CcmExec]
    Check if the values
    “ProvisioningMode” and “SystemTaskExcludes” exists.

“ProvisioningMode”should be set to 'False' for normal operation, or 'True' if they are stuck in provisioning mode.
    “SystemTaskExcludes” will be blank for normal operation, or contain various values if its stuck in provisioning mode.

As soon as I corrected these values, the newly deployed machines displayed the program advertisements in the Run Advertised programs window.

Hope this helps people down the track! It cost me a call to Microsoft Pro Support to resolve.

• Marked as answer by 5-K Monday, November 02, 2009 12:32 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:55 AM
  • ScottY_E - Thank you. Turns out I was having the exact same issue. Changed the two registry keys and all is working now. Newly imaged machines are now reporting to the SCCM server and receiving policies. Will need to put a reg change into the Task Sequence but should be easy enough.

Thanks again. This problem was really killing me for the past few weeks. All the research I've done didn't even point me into this direction.

Good stuff.

Monday, November 02, 2009 12:32 AM
  • I found that by adding a reboot computer action, and selecting reboot computer into "The currently installer default operating system" the registry keys set themselves. Maybe this will save you having to change the Reg keys?

Glad you solved it all the same :)

Monday, November 02, 2009 3:56 AM
  • I also had the same issue and that fixed it.  Thanks for the post, very helpful!
    SB
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Hi there,

when adding this registry change into the task sequence were you addding this to the reference capture (.WIM) or target build?

Saturday, September 04, 2010 9:59 PM