none
Urgent Help : OV / OM Connector

Question

• Hi,

I am pretty new to SCOM and needs assistance in setting a connector between OM and OV. Here is  the environment

We have open view installed. Few Windows servers are monitored by open view for Windows(Server 1)  which forwards all the alerts to another box ,open view for unix(Server 2) and that gets integrated with service desk which raises tickects based on alerts.Now that we want to bring in OM to monitor specific windows servers. So how can we put up the design here. Can  I have conector from OM to open view for windows (Server 1)  or open view for unix (Server 2) ? Which is one is in best practice.

1. What is the minimum version of OV that is supported by the connector?

thanks
    Sandr
    sandeep
    • Moved by Robert_Hearn Tuesday, March 09, 2010 7:01 PM migrated (From:Interop - HP Operations Manager Connector)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:18 AM

Answers

• Putting the connector on either will work. I'd look at the load on each system and see which one has less and go with that one.

If both handle about the same then and if your OVO Unix (server 2) is the Manager of Managers in your environment and all events roll up to that then putting the connector on your OVO Windows (server 1) is the better option. As long as events that roll up from the OVO Windows (server 1) close/acknowledge on the OVO Windows (server 1) when you close/ack them on the OVO Unix (server 2) you will also see them close on the OpsMgr 2007 server as well.

The connector is supported on the following:

OVO Windows 7.5 and 8.X on Windows 2003/2008 (x86 only)
    OVO Unix 8.x on 11.23 and 11.31 (Itanium and PA-RISC)

Regards,

-Steve
    • Marked as answer by Sandeeprmarar Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sandeeprmarar Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robert_Hearn Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:05 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:32 PM

All replies

• Putting the connector on either will work. I'd look at the load on each system and see which one has less and go with that one.

If both handle about the same then and if your OVO Unix (server 2) is the Manager of Managers in your environment and all events roll up to that then putting the connector on your OVO Windows (server 1) is the better option. As long as events that roll up from the OVO Windows (server 1) close/acknowledge on the OVO Windows (server 1) when you close/ack them on the OVO Unix (server 2) you will also see them close on the OpsMgr 2007 server as well.

The connector is supported on the following:

OVO Windows 7.5 and 8.X on Windows 2003/2008 (x86 only)
    OVO Unix 8.x on 11.23 and 11.31 (Itanium and PA-RISC)

Regards,

-Steve
    • Marked as answer by Sandeeprmarar Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sandeeprmarar Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Robert_Hearn Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:05 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:32 PM
  • Hi Steve,

That answered my questions...

sandeep
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:37 AM