none
Deleting superseded updates, reclaiming disk space, cleaning up "package source" updates

Question

• Hello, I was wondering if someone can clarify some thing for me, I have read lots about this, here and elsewhere but not sure if I am getting the full picture. Basically I want to clean up my "Update Lists", "Deployment Management", and "Deployment Packages". And I want these files to also be removed from the shares they reside on.

From previous reading someone has said: "When you delete a software update from a  deployment, it doesn't impact the source files for the package so you would still need to go to the package to delete the update for Configuration Manager to remove the update from the package source on the distribution points and from the update source location."

However, when I manaully delete the updates from both "Deployment Management" and "Deployment Packages", the file still remain in my "Package Source" folder/share. Is this correct or is this a problem? When I delete the files, I can see references to them in the logs like distmgr.log. Should the files be removed from the "Package Source" location? Surely I dont need to identify each update manually and delete it?

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 12:55 PM

All replies

• Your Two statements are correct!!!!

Deleting the Update list or Deployment Management will not delete the Actual Packages or Source.

You need to remove these updates from the  DP by each Software Update Package, then you can remove the unwanted Source such as expired...if any...

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Thanks. I also mentioned that I have deleted the updates from "Deployment Packages" (package name, "Software Updates"). But, when I browse by Windows Explorer to the folders in the "Package Source", I can still see the actual folders and files of those updates in them.

(I can manually delete these folders and then empty the recycle bin, but this is far more time consuming, the folders tend to have random names and the updates files within don't always have the KB number listed - e.g. Office updates).

Someone else where mentioned this takes 14 days, but that was just a comment on a website. Is it possible to get a definitive answer on the correct behaviour of SCCM? Therefore if something is not working correctly I can begin troubbleshooting it. Thanks again.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 2:43 PM
  • I'm also leaving the box ticked to refresh distribution points. Can anyone give answer here? i.e. can I autmate the clean up of the "Package Source" folder? Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:33 AM
  • This may apply to you partially... YOU MUST TEST IN YOUR LAB BEFORE ACTUALLY PLAY.... I think you need to customize as per your requirement ..........below scripts

Removing a retired DP from all your packages.....

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rslaten/archive/2006/03/01/removing-a-retired-dp-from-all-your-packages.aspx

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1703-howto-remove-orphan-distribution-points/

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:44 AM
  • Hi, thanks but I dont want to delete a DP. I have 3 of them and need them for deployments. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious that's why I posted here.

I don't think i am doing anything out of the ordinary here, I have a Deployment Package, and in the properties of this, I have my "Package Source" location.  This is shown in the attached pic. I want to clean up the expired, superseded and other unwanted updated from the Package source location - and I cant see how to do this. Can anyone please help with this?

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:37 AM
  • See, may be this will help http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1115-managing-monthly-updates-in-sccm/

Anoop C Nair - Twitter @anoopmannur

MY BLOG:  http://anoopmannur.wordpress.com

SCCM Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:49 AM
  • Thanks An00p. That's a very good blog. But it just doesnt seem to answer my questions unfortunately. Is there a way of cleaning out the actual "Package Source" folder in Windows Explorer, but using the SCCM console?

I have not been able to do this. However, in oder to reclaim disk space, I can use this workaround: (1) Manually delete all the updates in the Package Source folder in Windows Explorer. (2) In SCCM console, Software Updates, Deployment Packages, <Package name>, Software updates, delete all Expired updates. (3) Then select all current updates and do a "Content Refresh". This will download all the updates again to the "Package Source" (minus deleted expired ones).

• Edited by dude -d Wednesday, November 09, 2011 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 3:09 PM
  • I would like to have an answer to this question too. Is there any tool/command in SCCM to cleanup package source?

In my situation both of these folders are in the same server, and the take way too much space:

Package source 230 GB:
    \\SCCM\Source\

DP shared path 300 GB:
    \\SCCM\SMSPKGD$\

I have deleted expired and superseded updates from update lists, deployment management and deployment packages, but the files are still in the folders. Three year old file history is something i don't like anymore.

Any experiences using WSUS server cleanup wizard with SCCM? http://rheaheuermann.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/sccm-sup-wsus-monthly-cleanup/

Friday, November 18, 2011 12:17 PM
  • This is a very good question, it would be nice to have an answer to the "Clean-up" issue for the files in Package Source.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:49 AM
  • Maybe you could use a different approach, changing your deployment process...

- Create 1 list for each month as updates are released;

- Create 1 package which contains specific updates required (you can sort out them from the list) and target it to a folder whith same name of the period you choose...

So that you can control what you can clean, removing "expired packages" and sources folders.....

Friday, December 16, 2011 6:52 PM
  • This is good workaround...but any task or scripts are available for this today??
    SiddheshM MCTS
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:25 AM