none
Blank Inventory & Unknown Operating System

Question

• I am running System Center Essentials 2010 on Server 2003 R2 SP2 (32-bit)

About half the managed clients are showing up with Unknown in the Operating System field and the hardware inventory is empty.  I did some searching and any suggested solutions I have found have not helped. 

The clients are XP Pro SP3, Server 2003 R2 SP2 32-bit, and Server 2008 SP1 64-bit.

Some of the clients are from an image, and the HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate settings are correct.  I have also run the batch script to reset the SUSClientID on all affected clients (imaged or not).

There are no errors logged either on the server or on the clients indicating that anything is failing.

Any input and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:02 PM

Answers

• I reset the group policy settings just for kicks.  All client machines are connecting to and downloading updates from the management server properly.  There is no firewall of any kind between the management server and the clients.

There are also no duplicate SusClientID's.

I am still unable to collect an inventory.  Machines with no inventory stay blank, and ones that do have the results of the initial inventory will not update. 

I have seen a warning appear on the management server in the System log.  ID: 13021 Source: Windows Server Update  "Some client computers are not reporting their inventory.  1 have been detected so far."  Still no errors/warnings on the client machines.  There are 27 clients (workstation and server) that refuse to collect an inventory.

Thanks for the help.  Hopefully the next potential solution works.

• Marked as answer by emprise Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:41 PM
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:28 PM

All replies

• are they members of the sce managed computers security group?  have they successfully recieved the sce gpo's?

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Yes, they are all members of the SCE Managed Computers security group, and any changes made to the SCE group policy take effect on all managed computers.

I have also noticed that on machines that have already been successfully inventoried, changes to the inventory are not reflected when the system is told to Collect Inventory for that system (eg: hard drive utilization).

As before, there are no errors in any logs to indicate a malfunction or failure.  It's as if the inventory capabilities of SCE have stopped working altogether.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:37 PM
  •  

Hi,

Regarding this issue, I would like to share the following post with you for your reference. Please try the methods and see how it works:

Troubleshooting ‘Unknown’ software and update status, ‘Not yet contacted’ and lack of hardware and software inventory

http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials/archive/2010/03/29/troubleshooting-unknown-software-and-update-status-not-yet-contacted-and-lack-of-hardware-and-software-inventory.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:39 AM
  • As stated in the first post in the thread, that has already been attempted unsuccessfully.

Any other ideas?

Friday, October 29, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Please also try the methods in the following Knowledge Base article:

Managed computers have "Unknown" update status in System Center Essentials 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981952/

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 01, 2010 4:06 AM
  • I reset the group policy settings just for kicks.  All client machines are connecting to and downloading updates from the management server properly.  There is no firewall of any kind between the management server and the clients.

There are also no duplicate SusClientID's.

I am still unable to collect an inventory.  Machines with no inventory stay blank, and ones that do have the results of the initial inventory will not update. 

I have seen a warning appear on the management server in the System log.  ID: 13021 Source: Windows Server Update  "Some client computers are not reporting their inventory.  1 have been detected so far."  Still no errors/warnings on the client machines.  There are 27 clients (workstation and server) that refuse to collect an inventory.

Thanks for the help.  Hopefully the next potential solution works.

• Marked as answer by emprise Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:41 PM
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:28 PM
  • verify the wmi service is running on the machines?  all sce is really doing is making wmi calls behind the scenes to populate this data.
    Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:21 PM
  • The WMI service is running properly.

Today, I downloaded the latest installer for WSUS 3.0 SP2 and used it to uninstall the WSUS component from the management server and then reinstall it.

The Operating System and Update Status, which was previously blank on over half the managed machines is now populated with the correct data.  I do receive an error when trying to view the Hardware Inventory, but the error indicates it cannot access the WSUS database as it is still doing the initial synchronization, which will be running until after closing time today.

I'll post tomorrow if this solves the problems I have been having.  The install was a standard SCE 2010 install with nothing custom configured.  I don't know if WSUS didn't install properly from the start, or if something broke it after I added the first few machines to the system.  Either way there were no errors logged other than the 13021 error listed above.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:41 PM