none
Update incident permissions for end users

General discussion

• Hello,

I am new to Service Manager.  We are running version 2010 SP1.  After some research I found out that by default the End Users role does not grant permission to uodate incidents via the web portal.  Is there any easy way to change this without creating an entirely new role?  I realize the Advanced Operators role does grant this permission, however that also gives users the ability to edit the announcements which we don't want.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.

Monday, November 28, 2011 4:19 PM

All replies

• Actually, the End Users role should have permissions to "read and edit Incidents Where The User Is The Affected User". See the Admin Guide, Appendix A, Implied Permissions. That is, for your purpose you should not have to create any new roles.

The built-in version of the portal do not have functionality to let the end user update their incidents. Have a look here on how to solve it: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/03/02/service-manager-portal-source-code-released.aspx

Monday, November 28, 2011 4:36 PM
  • All of our users receive the following error when attempting to update their own requests:

The user domain\<user> does not have sufficient permission to perform the operation.
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ConnectorFrameworkConfigurationServiceProxy.ProcessDiscoveryDataWithBinarySupport(Int32 operation, Guid discoverySourceId, IList`1 entityInstances, IList`1 relationshipInstances, IDictionary`2 streams, Boolean useOptimisticConcurrency) at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConnectorFramework.IncrementalDiscoveryData.CommitInternal(EnterpriseManagementGroup managementGroup, Guid discoverySourceId, Boolean useOptimisticConcurrency) at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.EnterpriseManagementObjectProjection.CommitInternal(Guid discoverySourceId, Boolean useOptimisticConcurrency) at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.EnterpriseManagementObjectProjection.Commit() at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.DataAdapters.EnterpriseManagementObjectProjectionDataType.UpdateDataItem(IDataItem source) at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.WebParts.Helper.UpdateIncidentInternal(IDataItem requestDataItem, IDataItem currentUser, String strLogComment) in C:\Users\mtoresco\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\SCSM Custom Portal\WebParts\Helper.cs:line 537 at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.WebParts.RequestDetails.updateRequestButton_Command(Object sender, CommandEventArgs e) in C:\Users\mtoresco\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\SCSM Custom Portal\WebParts\Request\RequestDetails.cs:line 1016

I assumed this was due to user permissions in the system, not the web portal pages.  I am not familiar with Visual Studio or very much programming at all for that matter.  Is there another way to resolve this issue using the GUI? 

Monday, November 28, 2011 5:03 PM
  • As long as you follow the steps provided in the blog post carefully, you can get it done.

I am not a big VS user at all, and I was able to get this functionality working, however in SCSM 2012, this is available out of the box.

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:38 AM
  • Hi ,,

I am also faced the similar problem as mentioned when user update his own incident.. Any solution to this??

Xohaib

Friday, April 27, 2012 6:34 PM