none
DP replication: SMS Distribution Manager failed to copy package , problem happens very often

Question

• Hi

We have very often the problem that packages are not replicated to all dps.

SMS Distribution Manager failed to copy package

Possible cause: SMS Distribution Manager does not have sufficient rights to read from the package source directory or to write to the destination directory on the distribution point.
    Solution: In the SMS Administrator console, verify that the site system connection accounts have sufficient privileges to the source and destination directories.

Possible cause: The distribution point might not be accessible to SMS Distribution Manager running on the site server.
    Solution: If users are currently accessing the package files on the distribution point, disconnect the users first. If the package distribution point is located on a Windows NT computer, you can force users to disconnect by clicking on the "Disconnect users from distribution points" box in the Data Access tab of the Package Properties dialog box.

Possible cause: The distribution point does not have enough free disk space to store the package.
    Solution: Verify that there is enough free disk space.

Possible cause: The package source directory contains files with long file names and the total length of the path exceeds the maximum length supported by the operating system.
    Solution: Reduce the number of folders defined for the package, shorten the filename, or consider bundling the files using a compression utility.

On some DPs the status is install retrying and on others it is installed. I have checked if it has to do with the free storage but I cannot find the cause of this problem.

My workaround was to delete the dp and wait that the package has been remove from the dp and then readd the dp. But those packages are huge so I cannot to this everytime. The other workaround was to disabled binary replication on those packages and it solved the replication problem.

Running sccm 2007 Sp2 R2.

Thx for the input and help

Thursday, September 09, 2010 7:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Any information in the distmgr.log?
    Follow me through my blog and Twitter!
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 7:30 AM
  • good idea to check that log:

Failed to set the file pointer to the end of the file. Error 87~  $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER><Thu Sep 09 09:14:01.909 2010 Central Europe Daylight Time><thread=336 (0x150)>
    Failed to copy new chunk of length 4443 from the delta file. Error code 0x80070057~  $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER><Thu Sep 09 09:14:01.909 2010 Central Europe Daylight Time><thread=336 (0x150)>
    Failed to copy chunks to temp file. Error code 0x80070057~  $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER><Thu Sep 09 09:14:01.909 2010 Central Europe Daylight Time><thread=336 (0x150)>

Thursday, September 09, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Check the Windows logs on the DP. This appears to be an issue either in the network on on the destination DP.

Does this happen on all packages or just ones with Binary Delta Replication enabled (I'm assuming its enabled for the package referenced in the log above but please confirm that also)?

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jsandys/default.aspx | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Thursday, September 09, 2010 1:18 PM
  • I only saw that on packages with binary delta replication enabled.

Thursday, September 09, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Can you tell me what kind of package is this - like boot image or regular software distribution package etc?

Thanks,

Bhaskar

Thursday, September 09, 2010 2:44 PM
  • this actual problem was a wim image of our base image, total of GB

Thursday, September 09, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Hi,

1)      All error code are define in ConfigMgr Log reader, if you use the lookup you will see that  0x80070057 - The parameter is incorrect. Source: Windows, therefore this is a windows error and has nothing to do with ConfigMgr directly.

2)      This KB will help you with error codes http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944375/en-ca

Now having said this, I would look at:

·        Do you have all SU applied to your servers?

·        Ensure AV SW is temporarily disabled at both ends

·        Ensure that the firewall rules are correct

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, September 13, 2010 8:52 AM
  • hi

still problems.

Now I have removed a DP from a package, it says "removal pending" for hours.

I really don't see something special in the distmrg.log file

One of the DP is on the SCCM server itself.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:52 AM
  • update:

sms_distribution_manager status is starting. Why doesn't it start??

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:02 AM
  • Oli D. _

Is this still an issue? If so, I would recommend opening a customer support ticket on this issue as it seems all resources on this Forum have no more thoughts to offer.

Thursday, October 07, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Hi Oli D,

First look for the crash dump folder on the Site server. If you find one than it means SCCM is getting crash and you can refer crash.log file.

Please answer the following

The error logs you have posted is of which DP ?

I understood when you readd the DPs.Your packages get updated on failed DPS ?

Problem is happeing specific DP or its happening randomly?

DP role is on the site server or on a seprate server ?

Can you upload all the logs of site server from which you are updating the DPS and desination Site servers or DP site system ?

If you see any Crash dump. Please upload the logs from it.

Check the event logs for disk error  of the servers on which pakage is failing  to install.

Check the Average utilistaion of SPLIT I/O counter from Perfmon and note down the Disk fregmentation %   

Because it could be the problem of DP updation but  due to some other problem.

Divakar
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 10:22 AM