none
OSD Task Sequence failure-0x80004005

Question

•  

Hi,

I am tring to run Vista task sequence, but I am getting the following error:

0x80004005 at the "setup windows and configmgr" phase

I can't get in to have a look, although i enabled this support.

Can anybody help?

thanks

Jamosj

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 1:46 PM

Answers

• I just finally got it working again.

after playing around with the above ideas it turned out to be driver issues. I deleted all my "driver packages" and then remade them and added my imported drivers, all organzied by hardware type; Network Drivers in its own folder and then added to a Network "Driver Package" but i dont add a distribution point as its not needed for my OS installs.

Most everything recreated fine but when i went to add network driver package it errored out. I deleted the imported network drivers and reimported them and then added them to the Network driver package and it worked. Now my OSD installs using "Apply Operating System from original installation source" seem to work. I will be going thru my Vista sp1 and various Server 2008 ones today.

Thanks

Friday, April 25, 2008 4:01 PM

All replies

• When you have enabled "command shell" you need to update your Distributions Points, PXE Service Points and/or you boot CD/DVD. Otherwise you wont be able to press F8 from Windows PE.

1. Open the boot image’s properties dialog

2. On the Windows PE tab check the “Enable command support (testing only)” option

3. Update the boot image on the distribution points

4. Rebuild any media that uses the boot image (e.g. capture media, boot media, or stand-alone media)

When a task sequence is running in Windows PE you can open a command shell by pressing F8. As long as the command-shell is open the task sequence will not reboot the machine. This will give you a chance to verify network connectivity, diagnose driver issues, and view/copy the log files.

Best Regards

Ronni Pedersen
    MCSE,MCT,MCTS,MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    Blog: http://ronni-pedersen.spaces.live.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

I did enable the command support and update the boot image , but it still doesn't work.  is it worth creating a new boot image? 

thanks

jamos j

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:35 PM
  •  

Check the SMSTS.log file for error messages. (Hint: Get TRACE32.exe from the SCCM Toolkit to help read log files. makes life much easier)

I think you will find that there will be an entry in your log file that reads" Maximum device path length (4096) exceeded"

When doing a media build the "Auto Apply Drivers" task sequence can not link back to the driver catalog on the network and downloads all the drivers in the folder of the DVD to the local system. It then updates the Sysprep.inf file with the OEMDriverPath details of all of the drivers it copied down.

This can often be too long for it to handle.

-- Moff

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:42 PM
  •  

are you sure hes doing a DVD install?

I am getting this same issue this week and its pissing me off to no end. Last week this was working fine. I was doing OS isntalls of 2008 and Vista SP1 via "apply opperating system from original source" option in the "Install Operating System" Task. Even if I use a vista sp0 source the same results as mentioned above happens.  Below is the error i get.

ved configuration information to C:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml Successfully initialized driver information Command line for extension .EXE is "%1" %* Set command line: "\\server\SMSPKGM$\20000051\SOURCES\SETUP.EXE" "/unattend:C:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml" /noreboot Executing command line: "\\server\SMSPKGM$\20000051\SOURCES\SETUP.EXE" "/unattend:C:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml" /noreboot Process completed with exit code 31 Windows Setup completed with exit code 31Entering ReleaseSource() for \\server\SMSPKGM$\20000051reference count 1 for the source \\server\SMSPKGM$\20000051\ before releasing Released the resolved source \\server\SMSPKGM$\20000051exitCode == 0, HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,440) setup.run(), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,1707) Exiting with code 0x80004005 Windows setup failed, code 31

On the machine is see it intiate the setup.exe in both sp0 sp1 and server 2008 but then after about 20 seconds it returns to sccm screen and waits about 2 minutes and then reports the 0x80004005 error.

my xp setup seems to work just great. server 2003 works mostly but it has major issues with driver detection compared to my RIS installs(this will be a post soon unto itself when i get bothered enough).

Like i said this was working just great last week and I deployed 2008 to my own machine via this on friday, a number of installs of CORE and ENT Server and a few test client installs. i dont understand how this can be so incosistent.

as well, when will sccm sp1 and r2 be out. i would like offical support for vista sp1 and server 2008 asap.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I am not building a "capture media dvd", I am running a vista "build & capture" task sequence initiated from PXE, via a sccm site server. The task sequence was created with the help of MDT.

The client gets boot info from PXE fine and goes into the winpe section and does the driver install etc. then when it goes to windows setup, it does exactly the same as  Mykel "but then after about 20 seconds it returns to sccm screen and waits about 2 minutes and then reports the 0x80004005 error"

Unfortunetly, I can't get to the smsts.log now as the pc has been wiped !

Is there any other way to view the logs to find out what is going wrong?

Thanks

Jamosj

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:25 AM
  • Make sure everything referenced by your task sequence is distributed to a DP. And if you have added new drivers and/or updated a package on your DP after advertising a task sequence or have added a device driver that a system thinks it needs to a driver package that has not been distributed to a DP yet you get 4005 and 0032 errors.  You have to do frequent "Apply" on task sequences and readvertise them after any changes.  I suspect that the package versions are stored in the task sequence advertisement policy and 4005 errors are generated if the distributed versions don't match.
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:00 AM
  • I just finally got it working again.

after playing around with the above ideas it turned out to be driver issues. I deleted all my "driver packages" and then remade them and added my imported drivers, all organzied by hardware type; Network Drivers in its own folder and then added to a Network "Driver Package" but i dont add a distribution point as its not needed for my OS installs.

Most everything recreated fine but when i went to add network driver package it errored out. I deleted the imported network drivers and reimported them and then added them to the Network driver package and it worked. Now my OSD installs using "Apply Operating System from original installation source" seem to work. I will be going thru my Vista sp1 and various Server 2008 ones today.

Thanks

Friday, April 25, 2008 4:01 PM
  • well i did a lot of testing. did some more looking at drivers and pretty much figured it all out.

When doing an install from "source" SCCM seems to have less control over the drivers. It will PNP and copy the needed drivers to the local drive but setup.exe on the source media is actually handling the driver "injectoin" i guess you could say. thats what seems to be causing hte issue. when it goes thru the folders SCCM made \drivers\1 the windows setup decides the chipset drivers are bootcritical and tried to do something with them when it fails and then errors out and then SCCM errors out with the above message.

this happens with 2008 but not with XP or 2003. its become a real pain in the a$$, as i really hate dealing with images of any type and prefer working with clean OS installs and unattended installs of applications after the fact.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:30 PM
  •  

Mykel, thanks for your posts on this. This is driving me crazy too. Using the same hardware XP works, but Vista fails.

Just to clarify, you are saying that XP doesn't need the Chipset drivers and Vista does? Because I don't have chipset drivers at all. I didn't think I needed them since XP worked fine.

I guess I'll try that next...

Monday, July 14, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Hi

I am getting the same problem as described above.

I don't want to remove all my driver packages as described as it will take so long to get them back again.

I've create a simple driver package just with network card and the install still fails.

So want I really wnat to know what is causing the problem in the first place??

thanks Rob

Monday, November 24, 2008 4:46 PM
  •  

I totally gave up on trying to a Setup.exe based install of windows via SCCM it just doesnt handle boot critical drivers properly (rather labels some drivers improperly as boot critical which then setup.exe fails). I did one quick build/capture of a machine with minimal drivers (nic only i think) once i had a captured wim everything worked much better.

As i mentioned before SCCM and Setup.exe do not work well together. its annoying to have to make hte wim but its just one time. After SP1 i have never had ot make a wim since them and one wim fits all.

the real pain was server 2008, with vista i only use enterprise edition so thats just 2 wims, x86 and x64. but with 2008 theres like 12 different versions and we use pretty much all of them at some point or another.

Try disabling your chipset drivers in the driver library and see if that helps.

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:09 PM
  •  

as i mentioned above setup.exe and SCCM dont play well together. do a build and capture with a clean TS and disable your chipset drivers in your driver store.

i know you say you are only using nic drivers , but chekc the package paths and make sure the paths dont include other drivers ESP CHIPSET DRIVERS!!!!

this issue i saw, and still see with r2 is it marks some chipset drivers as boot critical when they really are not and setup.exe tried loading them as bootcritical but cant and barfs.

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:13 PM
  • What hardware platformare you installing on?   Are you using a captured image or straight from the import/copy of the manufacturers OEM OS DVD?  

Some the setup.exe installs for driver sources from manufacturers are in pesky old InstallSheild format.  Some of these don't play very well as the setup.exe closes before the install chain is complete, the SCCM Agent monitors the setup.exe and when it closes it assumes the task is done. Some of these require certain commandline switches, others need to be extracted and the embedded .msi files run, etc. 

Monday, November 24, 2008 8:56 PM
  • I received the same errors while trying to run a build of Server 2008 - the solution that I found on another forum was to remove the product key from the task sequence.
    There is a way to activate the product key later in the deployment using a script but it seems the SCCM task sequence can't deal with the product key.
    Cheers
    Ben
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:49 AM
  • I've found that this problems relate to ICH USB Drivers,
    You can verify it with the Setupact.log inside x:\windows\Temp\SMSTSLogs\WindowsSetupLogs
    Just search for ICH?USB drivers on your Deployment server and delete all of them
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Hello,

i had Problems with the Licence Key, i tried to install originally from the DVD and found out that no Licence Key is needed - maybe KMS Licence for Licence Servers?!
    I left the Licence field in the Task Sequence empty and switched Server Licence to "Do not specify".

x:\windows\Temp\SMSTSLogs\smsts.log included Errorcode 80004005 @ Build the reference machine

Now it runs through without an error...

Hope this helps somebody!

Florian
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:36 AM
  • hi
    i want to capture win 7
    is it possible to use win 2008 boot image in task sequnce?
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:34 PM
  • here's how to capture windows 7

and that is using the standard boot image provided when you install Sp2 for ConfigMGr,

My step by step SCCM Guides
    Follow me on Twitter
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:36 PM
  • I received the same errors while trying to run a build of Server 2008 - the solution that I found on another forum was to remove the product key from the task sequence.
    There is a way to activate the product key later in the deployment using a script but it seems the SCCM task sequence can't deal with the product key.
    Cheers
    Ben

It is AMAZING to me but removing the key solved this errror for me too!

Just to be sure, I added the key again and ran PXE. The error happened again.

Strange!
    • Proposed as answer by PDJ70 Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:51 PM
    Friday, February 05, 2010 5:25 PM
  • was stuck with the same issue while trying to build and capture a windows 7 x64 professional image with configmgr 2007 sp2 r2:

"Executing command line: "\\SERVER.DOMAIN\DPSHARE$\SMSPKG\XYZ000FD\SOURCES\SETUP.EXE" "/unattend:D:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml" /noreboot Process completed with exit code 31 Windows Setup completed with exit code 31 Entering ReleaseSource

Released the resolved source \\SERVER.DOMAIN\DPSHARE$\SMSPKG\XYZ000FDexitCode == 0, HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,440) setup.run(), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,1707) Exiting with code 0x80004005 Windows setup failed, code 31 "

as for this deployment the win7-setup drivers where applicable, i disabled every imported driver and it just worked fine afterwoods!
    Monday, March 01, 2010 2:55 PM
  • I have failures on two separate hardware platforms. Key worked for me also with Vista SP2.
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:52 PM
  • I got it working by

1. Create a "Vista_Network" driver catergory and added the basic Network/required drivers
    2. Edit The Build-Capture tasksequence
    3. Goto the "Apply Driver" task
    4. Select "Limit Drivers To "Vista_Network" Categroy"
    5. Save

It will now work and you dont need to disable drivers etc.

Good Luck

J

Friday, April 23, 2010 1:33 PM
  • "Executing command line: "\\SERVER.DOMAIN\DPSHARE$\SMSPKG\XYZ000FD\SOURCES\SETUP.EXE" "/unattend:D:\_SMSTaskSequence\unattend.xml" /noreboot Process completed with exit code 31 Windows Setup completed with exit code 31 Entering ReleaseSource

Exit Code 31 is also a reference for Problems with the License Key. I could reproduce this Error when i put a wrong License key or change in Server Licensing from "Do not specify" to per Seat.

For debugging you can always leave your License in Windows Vista or Windows 7 empty and set Server Licensing to "do not specify". (Activation will be necessary in 3 Days if you have no KMS Server)

Another thing i found while Deploying Windows 7 are huge Driver Packages for SCCM OSD - Windows 7 and Vista Bootimages from Dell. The Driverpackages include all new Controllerdrivers and Networkdrivers for Dell Machines - this works like a charm and saves a lot of work!!

Just extract the cab files an import them to the Bootimages (I alwas create a copy of my productive bootimage to check that out...)

You can find the CAB Files here:

http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Dell+Business+Client+Operating+System+Deployment+-+The+.CAB+Files

Here a some informations about SCCM and Dell:

http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/SCCM+-+System+Center+Configuration+Manager

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Hi Jtechs.

I undestand, download NIC drivers and create Package, after edit Task Sequence and Add - Drivers - Apply Driver Package. Is correct?

Questions.

Step Apply Device Drivers - delete?

Where you put step Apply Driver Package, between what steps.

Thanks,

Carlos Morales http://itprosmex.blogspot.com/
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm running into a similar issue. The progress goes that far that the installation progress of Windows starts, Windows files are extracted and the system then wants to reboot. When doing this I get the error below.

I'm trying to deploy Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit and chose in the Config Manager Client Package that it runs on Windows 7 platforms since I thought this might have been the problem (Windows 7 was unchecked), because my SMSTS.LOG says the following. But changing the settings didn't solve my issue.

Failed to read _SMSTSHG100048 from the environment. Code 0x80004005    OSDSetupHook    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1788 (0x06FC)
    ResolveSource(pszSource, sSourceDirectory, dwFlags, 0, 0, 0), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\resolvesource.cpp,3031)    OSDSetupHook    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1788 (0x06FC)
    TS::Utility::ResolveSource(sClientPackageID, sClientPackagePath), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\osdgina\basesetuphook.cpp,1493)    OSDSetupHook    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1788 (0x06FC)
    Failed to resolve package source "HG100048"    OSDSetupHook    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1788 (0x06FC)
    Exiting ConfigureEx: 0x80004005    OSDSetupHook    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1788 (0x06FC)
    BaseSetupHook::configure(sWindowsDir), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\osdgina\osdsetuphook.cpp,299)    OSDSetupHook    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1788 (0x06FC)
    Failed to configure OSD setup hook (0x80004005)    OSDSetupHook    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1788 (0x06FC)
    Process completed with exit code 2147500037    OSDSetupWindows    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1964 (0x07AC)
    exitCode, HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,635)    OSDSetupWindows    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1964 (0x07AC)
    Configure hook failed with error code (80004005).    OSDSetupWindows    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1964 (0x07AC)
    this->configureGina(this->sysDir), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,780)    OSDSetupWindows    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1964 (0x07AC)
    this->installSetupHook(), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,452)    OSDSetupWindows    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1964 (0x07AC)
    Failed to install setup hook (80004005)    OSDSetupWindows    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1964 (0x07AC)
    setup.run(), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\setupwindows\setupwindows.cpp,1707)    OSDSetupWindows    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1964 (0x07AC)
    Exiting with code 0x80004005    OSDSetupWindows    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1964 (0x07AC)
    Process completed with exit code 2147500037    TSManager    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1456 (0x05B0)
    !--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!    TSManager    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1456 (0x05B0)
    Failed to run the action: Setup windows and ConfigMgr.
    Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)    TSManager    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1456 (0x05B0)
    [...]

The execution of the group (Build the Reference Machine) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An action failed.
    Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)    TSManager    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1456 (0x05B0)
    Failed to run the last action: Setup windows and ConfigMgr. Execution of task sequence failed.
    Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)    TSManager    27.09.2010 10:56:37    1456 (0x05B0)

So the progress seems to fail due a problem with the Config Manager Client.
    What could be the issue with it if it wasn't checking that the package can also run on Windows 7 and Server 2008 machines ?

Monday, September 27, 2010 9:13 AM
  • Well, solved the issue.
    It was the Config Manager Client. Here I had created a package from definition which seems to make problems. So I added the Config Mgr Package from scratch (pointing it to the share which contains the client) and used it in my task sequence.

And now my deployment finishs without any errors.

Monday, September 27, 2010 10:50 AM
  • I got that same error with Windows XP capture image while attempting to deploy using a CD media.

Our problem was having extra Task Sequences such as joining a domain, apply device drivers etc.

We never made the association that most of what we wanted were already built into our image and sysprep mini-setup (i.e. join domain, administrator password, product license key) after removing redundant task sequences that error message disappeared and we had a successful deployment.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Hi,

As per My knowledge this error regarding WINPE image setting in Task Sequences.

1) Right Click on TS.

2) Go to Advanced TAB

3) Select " Use this boot image" and specify boot image and click on APPLY. OK.

Thanks,

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Check time/date settings in BIOS.
    • Proposed as answer by .Mr.RyX Wednesday, August 07, 2013 2:35 AM
    Thursday, December 08, 2011 9:55 AM