none
SCCM SECONDARY SITE ISSUE WITH WSUS

Question

• HI

i have a sccm senario like this . A central primary server  ----- --- secondary server  i have installed wsus 3 .0 sp2 on central server and synced from microsfot for updates and this is my active software update point . i need to install wsus in secondary site and to make this as active software update point as both are sitting in over wan links .my question is do i need to install wsus on secondary site or only software update point role . if i installwsus should i use internal data base of wsus .will my clients in secondary site location point to sus point on secondary site .please let me know the required configuration for this

thanks

ankith

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:47 AM

Answers

All replies

• WSUS is a requirement for the Software Update Point. If you want a SUP at the secondary, yuo will need to install WSUS fiirst.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:03 AM
  • As Kent said, yes you need to install WSUS to install a SUP at a secondary site (or primary site for that matter). WSUS does require a SQL hosted database. What versin of SQL Server to use to host the WSUS database is more of a licensing question but generally the Windows Internal DB is sufficient.

Just because the secondary site is across a WAN link though does not mean you need a SUP also. SUPs only deliver the update metadata\catalog. Updates themselves always come from DPs.

I generally discourage the use of SUPs at secondaries, but this really depends on many factors.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:11 AM
  • hi kent / Jason

thanks for your reply .but i have pushed sccm clients from  secondary site (which is also a proxy management point here )and checked client registery it is pointing to updsteram server path (checked here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate) .why this happening .and i have installed sccm console in secondary sites from there i have pushed clients.is this correct way to push clients in secondary site location?

i have question to kent .as per you  i need to install intenral data base for wsus .will metadata sync from upstream and sit inside internal data base . and why my clients in secondary sites not pointing downstream active software update point in registry .because of this all clients will contact upstream for scanning .this will affect our network bandwidth over wan .please suggest.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:09 AM
  • You've got multiple issues here.

First, have you verified that the clients are within the boundaries of the secondary site?

Also, there's no such concept as installing the console in a secondary site or managing a secondary site. Secondary sites are merely extensions of primary sites and the console always connects to a primary site.

There is no way to explicitly push the client agent from the secondary site. Auto-push will actually use the secondary site, but manual push will not.

Last, WSUS catalog download over the WAN is trivial because the catalog is cached on the clients and only the delta is downloaded for new scans which is very trivial.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:23 PM
  • ok

Auto-push will actually use the secondary site, but manual push will not.-- what is the diffrence between two .and i have set boundries correctly .i need scan should happen localy . i understood installation wil happen from DP.  if my secondary site is active software update point then clients in secondary should point to this site .is that correct . i mean registry path in client pc i have mentioned last thread

if my registry point to upstream metadata scan will happen from there only .this is what my concern or explian me how the clients contact secondary active software update point .and can we use common port in entire hireachy .for software update point .i have 16 site . once central 4 primary and rest secondary

regards

ankith

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:47 AM
  • hi

some one please answer above thread .and in secondary site is  proxy mangement point i have installed sccm clients but client properties showing management point as primary  only

regards

ankith

Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:10 PM
  • That's by design. Clients can only be assigned to primaries. So no need to worry.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, March 05, 2012 6:50 AM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:27 PM