none
event 31552 on RMS every ten minutes

Question

•  

I am getting a constant every ten minute error on the rms01. This is not the timeout issue that is all over the web and forum so please don't paste a bunch of links to that. This alert seems to indicate that the stored procedure “ManagementPackInstall’ is returning a -38 which is not going into a tinyint field.

Event Type:   Error

Event Source:            Health Service Modules

Event Category:        Data Warehouse

Event ID:       31552

Date:              3/14/2012

Time:              3:32:39 PM

User:               N/A

Computer:      FMOMDEVLRMS01

Description:

Failed to store data in the Data Warehouse.

Exception 'SqlException': Sql execution failed. Error 220, Level 16, State 2, Procedure ManagementPackInstall, Line 153, Message: Arithmetic overflow error for data type tinyint, value = -38.

One or more workflows were affected by this. 

Workflow name: Microsoft.SystemCenter.DataWarehouse.Synchronization.Configuration

Instance name: fmomdevlrms01.amr.corp.intel.com

Instance ID: {E526268A-2B97-D364-F7A5-06B5441CA3B6}

Management group: OpsMgr_DevLab

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:18 PM

Answers

• this is a dev environment so the management packs are always changing, but no the dell pack has not been imported.

The RunAs accounts are also fine. I checked and reset them long before I found the error on the RMS, the one that no one seems to want to address. I have opened a ticket with MS. Thank you to those that really read my request.

• Edited by Dethgiver Monday, March 19, 2012 5:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yog LiModerator Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:59 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Take a look at http://blogs.technet.com/b/sudheesn/archive/2009/07/28/getting-31552-exception-sqlexception-timeout-expired-very-frequently-in-scom-server.aspx

Hope it helps

Roelkn

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:37 AM
  •  

I hate to rant on someone but this is ridiculous! You obviously didn’t read my request or you would have seen the line “This is not the timeout issue that is all over the web and forum so please don't paste a bunch of links to that”. If all you want to do is get points go somewhere else.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Hi

Did you restored SCOM OPS DB/Data warehouse or both.

I had worked on something similar in past so if you can throw some light on any recent things you guys did, would be great

~Cheers, Rohit Kochher

Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:47 PM
  •  

It’s my understanding, I wasn't involved, that the DW house was rebuilt. I don't know if they restored it or not. The data warehouse is hosting two management groups and there are two report servers using it also.

The reports folder and reports were not showing up in the SCOM console so I uninstalled the SCOM report server, ran the ResetSSR.exe program and reinstalled the SCOM report server. The report folder showed up but still no reports. I started checking all of the event logs and found the 31552 on the RMS. As you can see it specifically refers to the stored Procedure "ManagementPackInstall". this procedure appears to be trying to write management pack information to the Data warehouse and failing with "Arithmetic overflow error for data type tinyint, value = -38".

I would like to know what is happening and if it is possible to fix it without doing a full rebuild.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Hello,

What is the recent management pack installed? do you have something changed in terms of rules created, MP impoerted, do you have enough space on the DW database?

Get-Managementpack | Select DisplayName, Version, TimeCreated | Sort TimeCreated

Regards,

Mazen

Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Do you see the error I have called out? It has nothing to do with space, or rules, or MP imported.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Hi,

As Mazen pointed out, this is an observed issue while you import the Dell MP thats the reason for asking any recent MP's

These guys are helping, so firstly you cant rant !!!!

Also this could be an issue with your Run as Accounts

go to Administration - >Under run as accounts - simple authentication you have 2 accounts

Data Warehouse SQL server authentication account

Reporting SDK SQL server authentication account

The user name and password for these are by default are a "space"

Try doing this and restart your Configuration service.

IF this does not resolve,

There are a few more checks you need to do,

check if there is data being populated in your DW database.

If the seconds counter is too high then there is a serious issue. See if there are other error events. Post it here.   

Regards, Dhanraj

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:01 PM
  • well the problem that we had at our end was that someone restored OPS DB from old backup and not DW.

Management;s pack imported when OPS DB back up was taken (which we restored) and DW's current had some MP's version different.

Query your Management packs in DB and DW and see if you find some different in version's or etc.

Also as Mazen mentioned this could happen with new MP import as well.

~Cheers, Rohit Kochher

Friday, March 16, 2012 2:39 PM
  • this is a dev environment so the management packs are always changing, but no the dell pack has not been imported.

The RunAs accounts are also fine. I checked and reset them long before I found the error on the RMS, the one that no one seems to want to address. I have opened a ticket with MS. Thank you to those that really read my request.

• Edited by Dethgiver Monday, March 19, 2012 5:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Yog LiModerator Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:59 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any solution on this issue?

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Yog Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 4:00 AM
  • This issue was caused by CU5 SQL update for the opsmgr database not running correctly. While it did import the new Microsoft.SystemCenter.Library and change the version number the code was corrupted.

Using an sql query we pulled the mp code from the OperationsManager db:

"Select convert(xml,mpxml) from managementpack where mpname='Microsoft.SystemCenter.Library'"

This query will return a link that when clicked will produce the code for the MP listed.

Using two different management groups one working and one not and then doing a compare of the code showed the corruption.

The next step was to import the correct code, since the version number had already been updated we couldn't just do a standard import from the console, and running the script again had no affect either. Even changing the version checking in the script didn't solve the problem. So...

Changed the version:

DECLARE @ver nvarchar(25)

DECLARE @compare int

SET @ver = (SELECT Mpversion From ManagementPack WHERE MPName = 'Microsoft.SystemCenter.Library')

--Update Microsoft.SystemCenter.Library MP directly via SQL

Set @Compare = dbo.fn_versionCompare (@ver, '6.1.7221.50')

If(@compare = -1)

EXEC [dbo].[p_MPImportXML]

@ManagementPackXML = N'

(Management pack xml)

', @MPKeyToken=N'31bf3856ad364e35' 

GO

Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:05 PM