none
P2V error 2940 on VMM2008...how can resolve it?

Question

• VMM2008 Beta on windows server 2008

physical server -> windows server 2003

virtual server -> same server of VMM

when i try to move the P2V, i recive this error:

Error (2940)

VMM is unable to complete the requested file transfer. The connection to the BITS server LHEE-SCVMM.domain.com could not be established.

(Unknown error (0x80072efd))

Recommended Action

Ensure that the BITS service and the agent on the machine LHEE-SCVMM.domain.com are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTPS traffic.

the firewall of ws2008 is disable, the bits services/role is enable on 2003 and 2008.....so i can't understand what is the problem.

thanks

Friday, October 10, 2008 10:41 AM

Answers

• thank you for the follow-up

>none of the websites were listening on port 443

if you get an error about the conflicting SSL cert on 443, these are the steps that we recommed (we'll improve this story in the upcoming SP1 release)
    1.       Go to Regedit->HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Server\Settings
    2.       Create a new DWORD reg entry named “P2VBITSTcpPort” and give it a decimal value of say 3043 or any other port that is not being used on the host machine.
    3.       Go to system services (services.msc) and restart Virtual Machine Manager service.

Alternatively, you can run
    >httpcfg.exe query ssl
    to find if the cert is still bound to port :443
    run
    >httpcfg.exe delete ssl -i <ip-address>
    to delete the binding

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 5:36 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same problem with one of my servers.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 7:25 PM
  •  

i'm not alone....i'm happy but i can't understand the reason of this problem. i hope is a trial's problem
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 7:44 PM
  •  

I reviewed my logs from the Host server and found connectivity problems with my ISCSI MD300i storage. I'm on the phone with Dell. If this fixes the problem, I'll let you know.
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 7:49 PM
  •  

but my host server is a normal server....with a standard hardware. the problem is caused from the BITS services....but i think that is a problem of the beta product

Saturday, October 18, 2008 9:24 PM
  •  

Yes it's still having problems....I think your right.
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 9:26 PM
  •  

Have you tried the SCVMM 2007 to see if that will work?
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 9:44 PM
  • please....the scvmm2007 doesn't support the online p2v and is an old version.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 9:35 AM
  • >the scvmm2007 doesn't support the online p2v

yes it does

about the error ERROR_CONNECTION_INVALID

we've seen the reports of this issue but we have not been able to repro it. Can I ask you to collect traces and event logs from all three machines during the conversion?

thank you 

Monday, October 27, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Same problem as the threadstarter, except I'm using SCVMM 2008 RTM Trial

No iscsi involved on any Server.

How can I create and where can I send the aforementioned traces to?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the job fails when about 25% of the physical harddisk is already copied, so this does not look like a firewall or connectivity problem.

best regards, Georg

Monday, November 03, 2008 12:49 PM
  • vmm2008 rtm

with a windows xp pro sp3, the migration works....but now i want try with ws2003 sp2 r2

Monday, November 03, 2008 1:03 PM
  • UPDATE: V2V works, it's only P2V that gives me that error, randomly when somewhere between 2 and 28 gigs are transferred.

any ideas?

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 1:38 PM
  • anything in the event logs on source and target around the time of the failure? network glitch? do you have up-to-date network drivers?

we'd like to look at the issue closer. if you can, please repro the issue while collecting traces on host + source machines.

>How can I create and where can I send the aforementioned traces to?

there are a couple tools - check out this post http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3424418&SiteID=17. Sending traces - to any of the moderators of this DL.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Update:

I sucessfully P2Ved one of the offending servers, my methods were a bit unusual and totally not feasible for most people, however, here we go:

First I deleted all unescessary files on the server to be virtualized, just to minimize the data that has to be transferred. Yes, this is nothing one should consider as "solution", it's not even a proper workaround, however, it might have contributed so I'm mentioning it here.

Second I disabled the Web publishing and the HTTP-SSL service, although none of the websites were listening on port 443 I thought that this might be a good idea.

Looked like it was, conversion went without a hitch, everything looks good.

I will continue to convert servers an I'll send logs and traces if this issue continues to show up, thank you Natalia for offering support and help!

I already can say that there was nothing in the event logs about that error, the only thing I noticed was a warning entry in the BITS event log of the soon to be virtual machine host

BITS has stopped transferring "https://REMOVEDBYGEORGH.vhd" for job "https://REMOVEDBYGEORGH.vhd".  The status code was 2147954402.

nothing else. This status code however is as useful as a bike for a fish. for me at least Smile

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:32 AM

if you get an error about the conflicting SSL cert on 443, these are the steps that we recommed (we'll improve this story in the upcoming SP1 release)
    1.       Go to Regedit->HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Server\Settings
    2.       Create a new DWORD reg entry named “P2VBITSTcpPort” and give it a decimal value of say 3043 or any other port that is not being used on the host machine.
    3.       Go to system services (services.msc) and restart Virtual Machine Manager service.

>httpcfg.exe query ssl
    run
    to delete the binding

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 5:36 PM
  •  

Thanks for all those valuable hints!

I've virtualized many servers today without people noticing Smile

Changing the port was the key for me!

best regards, Georg

Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:13 PM
  • thank you for the follow-up. :-) Good luck.

Saturday, November 08, 2008 3:15 AM
  • I am getting the 2940 error but mine is worded a little different.  Mine says:

VMM is unable to complete the requested file transfer.  The connection to the HTTP server XXXXXXX could not be established.

The errors that other people seem to be getting say BITS server, not HTTP server.  The hard disk copy gets to no more than 4% before it just stops copying.  There is no firewall on either boxes.  They are however not associated to the same domains.  This doesn't seem to be the problem since it starts the copy and craps out in the middle of it.

Any ideas?

I did add the reg key that was suggested earlier in the thread.

VMM2008RTM - Server 2008 x64 with HyperV

P2V Box - XP with SP2

I checked the event viewer on the SCVMM server and there are a few errors saying that DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx using any of the configured protocols.

Ok, more information.  It seems as if the problem lies on the Physical Box.  Once everything is done failing, the network connection is hosed.  I have to reboot to get everything working again.  I can't release or renew the IP, there's no network connectivity period.

Is there a log that you can read on the PB?  I don't get anything in Event Viewer.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:34 PM
  •  

I have a similar issue.  I have successfully virtualized 3 workstations, but I have one that will not virtualize.  The first 3 I virtualized all worked in online mode.  So back to this one that is not working. 

It is a Dell 9100 workstation, it flat out will not work in online mode, the wizard completes fine it recognizes the workstation pushes the VMM service to the workstation, and gets to 40% and failes before any progress is made on copying the hard drive.

So I tried it in offline mode, and low and behold files start transfering, but they fail at exactly 1.28GB every time.  The error I get is

Error (2940)

VMM is unable to complete the requested file transfer. The connection to the HTTP server HVM-01.docusys.net could not be established.

(Unknown error (0x80072ee2))

Recommended Action

Ensure that the HTTP service and/or the agent on the machine HVM-01.docusys.net are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTPS traffic.

I have ran check disk, which did find some problems, but fixed it.  I have defragmented the drive.  I even tried a different network card and putting it directly on our core switch.  I feel that so much is working right with the wizard, given it installs the alternate boot application and does begin to copy files that it is too close to give up on.

I am a little impatient and not the worlds best about capturing log files and what now, but this is driving me nuts.  So much works right it is so frustrating that that last inch is not there.  It is not impossible for me to rebuild this PC, but now it is almost personal that it should work I would be willing to try about anything.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:05 PM
  • We are experiencing the same problem here.  I have virtualised 3 of our servers today with no issue but the forth is experiencing the exact same error at about 17% of the disc copy.

If it matters the machine we are virtualising is a Windows 2003 Standard server running SQL 2005, with analysis and reporting server installed.

I have tried both online and offline copy.  During the offline the boot OS runs correctly but when running wpeinit.exe a black command prompt window opens but then quickly dissapears and nothing else happens.

During online it gets to the disc copy phase and gets to either 17% or 18% then times out with the HTTP 2940 message as detailed above.  I have tried stopping most services on the physical machine before copying as well, and it makes no difference.  Have restarted the WWW service on the host as well and it made no difference.  No other messages appear in the event viewer.

Happy to recreate running any log or traces, if you can tell me what to run!

Thanks

Jon

Friday, November 21, 2008 11:53 AM
  • No idea why the above message came up as being from adsdsadsd as it was actually from me!

Jon

Friday, November 21, 2008 11:56 AM
  •  

I am still working on my issue, I have trimmed down the useless data on the workstation and reduced it's size by about half.  When I attempt the online conversion it fails with this error.

Error (3154)

An internal error has occurred trying to contact an agent on the debugdocutest server.

(Internal error code: 0x8099319E)

Recommended Action

Ensure the agent is installed and running. Ensure the WMI service is installed and running, then restart the agent.

When I try it in offline mode I get this error

Error (2940)

VMM is unable to complete the requested file transfer. The connection to the HTTP server HVM-01.docusys.net could not be established.

(Unknown error (0x80072ee2))

Recommended Action

Ensure that the HTTP service and/or the agent on the machine HVM-01.docusys.net are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTPS traffic.

As stated before the step 1.3.2 Deploy file (using BITS): 0 of 1 files (1.28GB/32.50 GB) time remaining 04:34:01 is the last step that processes.  It is funny to me that it always stops at the same place and it even gets this far to begin with.

This box is not super critical so I can retry this over and over, but I am running out of things to try.

Friday, November 21, 2008 5:06 PM
  •  

Same problem here. I've been trying over and over with the same workstation. It finishes the BITS transfer and then issues the following error.

Error (2940)

VMM is unable to complete the requested file transfer. The connection to the HTTP server [server].[domain].com could not be established.

Recommended Action

Ensure that the HTTP service and/or the agent on the machine OPSSCVMMV.peoplesbank-wa.com are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTPS traffic.

I tried changing the ports in the registery of the following services to various values.

P2VBITSTcpPort

BITSTcpPort

After the errors I am able to manually fire up the virtual server and finish the steps but it is a bit of a pain and would be nice if I could get the whole thing to work as it's supposed to.

any ideas?

Friday, November 21, 2008 6:10 PM
  • Jesse,

>It is funny to me that it always stops at the same place and it even gets this far to begin with.

strange indeed. Can you plz check if vmmagent or vmmp2vagent has crashed in the event log on the source & the destination machines?

We would appreciate if you could also collect traces from the vmm,source & host computers while you are reproducing the problem. Instructions are at http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3424418&SiteID=17. Please send the traces to the moderator of this group.

thank you

-Natalia

Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:29 AM
  • This one is driving me nuts... and am out of ideas.

In my situation the offline conversion task "Deploy file (using BITS)" get's anywhere between 23 and 65% on a tiny 7.3GB disk size, in 8 attempts, each ending with error 

Error (2940)

VMM is unable to complete the requested file transfer. The connection to the HTTP server server- fqdn could not be established.

The fact that it does get somewhere tells me it's not a port or firewall problem.

Running SCVMM 2008 on Windows 2008 SE X64

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:16 AM
  • Hello all.

I just want to provide some info and insight just in case someone is in the same position i was in with the below error.

In my case, i had the SCVMM server installed and a 64bit Windows 2008 server, but it did not support virtualization, so Hyper V was not able to be enabled. So yes i missed a requirement for SCVMM. After moving SCVMM to a server that supports Hyper V, the below error is now gone. I tought i didn't need it since it was only SCVMM and supports no VMs. Shame on me. The funny thing is mostly all features of SCVMM worked, except P2V and creation of VM templates.

hope this helps someone.

---

Error (2940)

VMM is unable to complete the requested file transfer. The connection to the BITS server LHEE-SCVMM.domain.com could not be established.

Recommended Action

Ensure that the BITS service and the agent on the machine LHEE-SCVMM.domain.com are installed and running and that a firewall is not blocking HTTPS traffic.

---

Richard Dixon MSFT Sr Systems Engineer
    Friday, March 06, 2009 2:55 AM
  • Richard Dixon said:

Hello all.

I just want to provide some info and insight just in case someone is in the same position i was in with the below error.

In my case, i had the SCVMM server installed and a 64bit Windows 2008 server, but it did not support virtualization, so Hyper V was not able to be enabled. So yes i missed a requirement for SCVMM.

Hi Richard,
    correct me if am wrong but there is no such a requirement for SCVMM to be installed into a machine that support Hyper-V.
    From this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc764231.aspx

"VMM 2008 supports the installation of VMM components on virtual machines. However, you cannot use a virtual machine as a host."

Thanks for response
    Friday, March 13, 2009 7:55 PM

>httpcfg.exe query ssl
    run
    to delete the binding

I have a similar error.. where the transfer stops when transferring from one HyperV to the other (migration)..

I tried these steps 1-3, but i still have failures..

See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachingmgrhyperv/thread/764ce42a-6340-45d2-b54d-bd7dcd79f182

Any thoughts?

Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:00 PM
  • I had this exact problem.

I watched the P2V status and it stopped in exactly the same place after transferring the data.

Someone had installed Dameware mini remote control on the server and it was this that was preventing the successful transfer, due to administrator access only etc.

I did not remove it from the server but set the service to manual and stopped it.

The next attempt the P2V was successful.

I was getting very frustrated and have performed about successful 30 P2V's so dug a bit deeper as to why this one server through this error up.

So there could be something similar on your server stopping the process.

Note: Dameware was installed because there was a problem with the Windows Logon screen, I fixed that also and have now removed dameware, which is not needed on Windows 2003! It was great in the old NT 4.0 days.

cheers
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Update:

I sucessfully P2Ved one of the offending servers, my methods were a bit unusual and totally not feasible for most people, however, here we go:

First I deleted all unescessary files on the server to be virtualized, just to minimize the data that has to be transferred. Yes, this is nothing one should consider as "solution", it's not even a proper workaround, however, it might have contributed so I'm mentioning it here.

Second I disabled the Web publishing and the HTTP-SSL service, although none of the websites were listening on port 443 I thought that this might be a good idea.

Looked like it was, conversion went without a hitch, everything looks good.

I will continue to convert servers an I'll send logs and traces if this issue continues to show up, thank you Natalia for offering support and help!

I already can say that there was nothing in the event logs about that error, the only thing I noticed was a warning entry in the BITS event log of the soon to be virtual machine host

BITS has stopped transferring "https://REMOVEDBYGEORGH.vhd" for job "https://REMOVEDBYGEORGH.vhd".  The status code was 2147954402.

nothing else. This status code however is as useful as a bike for a fish. for me at least Smile

Hi George,

I'm struggling with this same issue, you say you disabled web publishing and HTTP-SSL, was this on the server you were trying to convert or the VMM server?

Thanks...Jason.

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 9:59 AM
  • Hello,

For me, the problem was a time sync error (10 minutes between the server and the host) no BITS Copy possible

After a successul w32tm /resync on both machine, the copy works and the P2V process too.

Jean-luc

JLO
    Sunday, June 05, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Hi All,

In my case turned out to be disk errors. The BITS transfer will proceed with the first drive ( C: of 35GB) so I know is not a comms/cert issue  but the second drive ( D:  of about 170GB) will always stop at around 85%. I know is not due to size because I just virtualized a larger (twice as large) F&P server that is using the same hardware as the server giving me grief. So, when I looked at the system log on the source server, there were lots of Event IDs 24800 from 'Cissesrv' and Event IDs 11 from 'Disk' sources from around and during the time of the P2V attempt. Weird since  the source server is working normally and providing Exchange services to users.  So, AFTER PERFORMING ONE LAST PANIC BACKUP, I ran a chkdsk on the disk that is having issues:

C:\>chkdsk d: /v /i
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is New Volume.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.
    Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

WARNING!  I parameter specified.
    Your drive may still be corrupt even after running CHKDSK.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
    82304 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    371 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.
    0 EA records processed.
    0 reparse records processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
    25990 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    5 unindexed files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
    82304 security descriptors processed.
    Cleaning up 97 unused index entries from index $SII of file 9.
    Cleaning up 97 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 9.
    Cleaning up 97 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    475 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    1298416 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

430019855 KB total disk space.
     125580888 KB in 20356 files.
         19372 KB in 476 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        162719 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
     304256876 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
     107504963 total allocation units on disk.
      76064219 allocation units available on disk.

As you can see, there are some issues reported with the drive so, I performed a chkdsk upon next boot and attempted to start the P2V again. It succeeded this time.

Hope it helps somebody.

Fred Larracuente

Monday, October 24, 2011 1:12 PM