none
SCSM 2012 RC - Email Notifications - From a scsm noob

Question

• Hi all,

Lets start from the correct place; I'm an SCSM noob :-)

I'm trying to get my head around SCSM 2012 and one of the first things I want to setup (which will hopefully start me off in the right direction) is setting up email notifications to engineers when they have been assigned an incident.

I have users in the system and have created a notification channel with my email server, using the Workflow 'run as account' user's email address as the return address. I have logged onto the Management server as the Workflow user and sent mail via telnet so I know that works and I have a 'Assigned To User Notification' template.

What more do I have to do to get the system to email the assigned engineers?

The documentation is a little light

Cheers

Dave

Dave
    Monday, February 06, 2012 2:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Take a look here:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2009/12/15/custom-notification-workflow-on-incident-assignement-or-re-assignment.aspx

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se
    Monday, February 06, 2012 2:16 PM
  • if you are looking at re-assignment, you could maybe also look at a workflow like the following.

Lets say you want a workflow to kick off and notify the new assigned user that a call has been assigned to them.

you can do it through the console for a limited number of users.

Workflow

-> when updated

-> changed from "not equal to user b"

-> changed to "does equal user b"

send "designated e-mail template" to "assigned to user"

hope this makes sense.

As long as you learn something new every day, the day is not wasted.
    Monday, February 06, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Hi Fletcher

Interestingly, the 'Changed from' is not expandable so I cannot select the 'Assigned to User'. See below.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Dave
    Monday, February 06, 2012 4:22 PM
  • Hi Anders,

That's an old document.

Is it really still that long winded just to notify an analyst that they have been assigned a new job. Thats fairly basic stuff that should be included within the product without that much 'fun'

Dave

Dave
    Monday, February 06, 2012 4:26 PM
  • I am not in front of the console right now. Is it not possible to choose a different class (incident (advanced)) I think it is. this will then allow you to choose more options. I can double check, but that will only be a few hours. You can try to do some digging :)
    Monday, February 06, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

I'll run you through what I'm doing.

1. I'm in Admin/Workflows/Configuration
    2. I click 'Properties' of 'Incident Event Workflow Configuration'. Configure Workflow dialog opens.
    3. Clicks Add button
    4. Workflow Information dialog opens.
    5. I supply a suitable name
    6. Change "Check for events:" to "When an object is updated." (I would have thought that I could have chosen "When an object is created" for new Assignments?? and click Next
    7. I get the Specify Event Criteria dialog
    8. The "Changed From" under Related classes is not expandable so I cannot select 'Assigned to User'

As I have stated, I could well be doing it wrong, but the documentation is a tad thin..

Cheers

Dave
    Monday, February 06, 2012 5:14 PM
  • when an object is created is for new incidents.

when an object is updated is for existing incidents.

for now invidents you can apply different templates and changed the assigned to uset with the template and then you can email the asigned user.

Monday, February 06, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Hi Anders,

That's an old document.

Is it really still that long winded just to notify an analyst that they have been assigned a new job. Thats fairly basic stuff that should be included within the product without that much 'fun'

Dave

Dave

Yes - You are unable to create workflows that are triggered upon relationship changes within the console.

Regards
    //Anders

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Hi Anders,

Very disappointing....I can't imagine any helpdesk/service desk not requiring that functionality out of the box

Ok thanks
    Dave

Dave

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Hi,  I missed the answer to this.  I have the same exact problem.  I want to trigger off the assigned user being changed.  In the "Changed From" section, it is not expandable so you can't set this.  Am I missing something?

Thanks!!

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Take a look here:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2009/12/15/custom-notification-workflow-on-incident-assignement-or-re-assignment.aspx

Regards
    //Anders

You missed that post :)

Regards
    //Anders

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Hi Don

It appears that this functionality is missing/a bug from the RC.

I'm hoping that lots of notification/workflow functionality that is missing in the RC gets put in the RTM....

Dave

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:34 PM
  • The functionallity is missing in the console.

Sorry, but RC is "feature complete" and nothing except bug fixes and performance improvement should be expect for RTM.

(Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see this in the console as well)

Regards
    //Anders

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Hi Anders

I didn't miss it, in fact I replied but I guess I didn't hit the reply button and just posted instead, sorry.

As for the exclusion of functionality such as this I would propose that it is a fundamental flaw. This is suppose to be a hepdesk/service desk piece of software but it doesn't allow information to flow easily between analysts without 'hacking' about.

Yes great, that shows that the software is extensible but having to do such things for this type of issues is just plain wrong

Dave

Dave

Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Hi Dave -

Completely agree with you.  We'll work on getting relationship subscription support for scenarios like this into the UI in a future release.  For now the blog post linked to above is the only option.

Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Microsoft

Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:01 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Travis

Thank you for your comment and I'm pleased that this will be (hopefully) in a future release. SP1 I hope.

While there are many powerful features in SCSM, one thing that has always disappointed is the complexity of communication between users of any description OOTB whether by email, IM or web portal.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Thursday, February 09, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Hi,

Since those blog posts were referring to SCSM 2010 there are no examples of management packs for Service Requests. Do you know if there is such xml available for this workitem?

EDIT: I managed to modify the management pack and adjust it to service request.

Regards,

Peter

• Edited by Piotrek82 Saturday, April 07, 2012 11:54 AM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 7:39 AM
  • I'm looking for the same functionality Peter.  Would you happen to be able to share how you modified the other management pack to work for a service request instead of incidents, activities and change requests?

Best Regards,

Ginger

Ginger Drehmel-Leland Project Manager/Business Analyst Globe Education Network

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Hi! I have the same problem of Dave. I tried to trigger a modification of an incident for the assignment. My ticket by default has a primary owner (helpdesk manager). This man assign the ticket to the Operators. Two questions:

• Actually i verify that the assigment is possible only with the console (Is there an Analyst Web Portal?)
    • When the ticket is assign with the console, the workflow that i have create produce 3 e-mail to the assign user and i didn't understand why

Another question: why in the trigger section, the changed from box didn't have the possibility to select all the fields of the class?

BR

Andrea

Sunday, June 24, 2012 5:37 PM
  • There is no build-in webconsole available for SCSM 2012 (nor for SCSM 2010). But Gridpro offers a nice web-frontend for SCSM: http://www.gridpro.se/en/

If the workflow isn't configured properly sending more than one notification is possible. But to figure out what's wrong some more details how the workflow is configured are needed.

And your last question: This might be a bug. At least there is no logical reason for this.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Look at the details:

In the 1st Screenshot you can see that there is no properties for the class Incident so i cannot construct my workflow correctly

Best Regards

Andrea

• Edited by Andfer1983 Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:42 PM
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:41 PM
  • Maybe this blog post is helpful:

Custom notification workflow on incident assignement or re-assignment

Unfortunately you have to work with the xml-code of the management pack. But this can't be done in the SCSM console. 

Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your detail technical response about SCSM 2012. I have following query so can you please help on this.

• If User is sending email to Servicedesk id from External domain (Gmail, Hotmail etc..), SCSM 2012 is creating a IR for that. How will solve this issue. I want IR should only create if AD is belonging to our AD Forest,
    • If user is sending email to some other user but CC in Servicedesk, in that case also IR is creating in SCSM 2012, How will solve this issue.I want IR should only create if Servicedesk id is in TO email.
    • I want when Servicedesk is assigning ticket to Engineer Name, Automatically Engineer should get email, how will configure for the same.

Waiting for your Kind response.

Thank You

Suman

Sunday, September 02, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your detail technical response about SCSM 2012. I have following query so can you please help on this.

• If User is sending email to Servicedesk id from External domain (Gmail, Hotmail etc..), SCSM 2012 is creating a IR for that. How will solve this issue. I want IR should only create if AD is belonging to our AD Forest,
    • If user is sending email to some other user but CC in Servicedesk, in that case also IR is creating in SCSM 2012, How will solve this issue.I want IR should only create if Servicedesk id is in TO email.
    • I want when Servicedesk is assigning ticket to Engineer Name, Automatically Engineer should get email, how will configure for the same.

Waiting for your Kind response.

Thank You

Suman

Sunday, September 02, 2012 1:50 AM
  • Hi,

I want when call has been reassigned to another engineer in that case previous engineer should also get notification that their call has been assigned to another engineer, for that do you have any management pack or WF, so I will configure the same in our environment.

Thank You

Suman

Friday, September 14, 2012 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

I want when call has been reassigned to another engineer in that case previous engineer should also get notification that their call has been assigned to another engineer, for that do you have any management pack or WF, so I will configure the same in our environment.

Thank You

Suman

• Hi,

Thank You

Suman

• Hi,

Thank You

Suman

Friday, September 14, 2012 9:37 AM
  • That might be a hard one.

The relationship between incident and the "old" Assigned To User isn't available anymore after re-assigning. For that reason it might be a little bit tricky to send a notification to the former Assigned To User.

On option could be to use a PowerShell to reassign the incident and send the notification. This way you can get the current Assigned To User and the new Assigned To User. 

Friday, September 14, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Hi

Do we know if this feature has been added into SP1?

Thanks

Monday, October 15, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please help me in following problem:-

We want when ticket is closed and end user is sending email service desk for same ticket after closing then end user should automaticcaly get one email that this ticket has been closed and please send new email to take further help & support.

We unable to find any criteria in Incident event workflow configuration in Service Manager 2012.

Your kind help & support will be highly thankfull.

Thank You
    Suman

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:55 AM
  • I'm looking for the same functionality Peter.  Would you happen to be able to share how you modified the other management pack to work for a service request instead of incidents, activities and change requests?

Best Regards,

Ginger

Ginger Drehmel-Leland Project Manager/Business Analyst Globe Education Network

Hi Ginger,

Sorry, I haven't logged in here for a long time and I never saw your post:(

If you're still interested, here's the modified management pack:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><ManagementPack ContentReadable="true" SchemaVersion="2.0" OriginalSchemaVersion="1.1" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
      <Manifest>
        <Identity>
          <ID>ServiceManager.ServiceRequestAssignmentChanges.Notification</ID>
          <Version>7.0.8425.0</Version>
        </Identity>
        <Name>Service Request Assignment Changes Notification Workflow</Name>
        <References>
          <Reference Alias="WorkItem">
            <ID>System.WorkItem.Library</ID>
            <Version>7.5.1464.0</Version>
            <PublicKeyToken>31bf3856ad364e35</PublicKeyToken>
          </Reference>
          <Reference Alias="ServiceRequest">
            <ID>ServiceManager.ServiceRequest.Library</ID>
          </Reference>
          <Reference Alias="CoreSR">
            <ID>System.WorkItem.ServiceRequest.Library</ID>
          </Reference>
          <Reference Alias="System">
            <ID>System.Library</ID>
            <Version>7.5.8501.0</Version>
          </Reference>
          <Reference Alias="SystemCenter">
            <ID>Microsoft.SystemCenter.Library</ID>
            <Version>7.0.8425.0</Version>
          </Reference>
          <Reference Alias="SystemCenter1">
            <ID>Microsoft.SystemCenter.Subscriptions</ID>
          </Reference>
          <Reference Alias="Administration">
            <ID>Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Administration</ID>
          </Reference>
        </References>
      </Manifest>
      <Categories>
        <Category ID="ServiceRequestConfigurationMPSolutionCategory" Value="ServiceRequest!Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.ManagementPack.Solution.ServiceRequest">
          <ManagementPackName>ServiceManager.ServiceRequestAssignmentChanges.Notification</ManagementPackName>
          <ManagementPackVersion>7.0.8425.0</ManagementPackVersion>
        </Category>
        <Category ID="Category.ServiceRequestAssignmentChanges" Target="ServiceRequestAssignmentChanges" Value="Administration!Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.Rules.WorkflowSubscriptions" />
      </Categories>
      <Monitoring>
        <Rules>
          <Rule ID="ServiceRequestAssignmentChanges" Enabled="true" Target="SystemCenter!Microsoft.SystemCenter.SubscriptionWorkflowTarget" ConfirmDelivery="false" Remotable="true" Priority="Normal" DiscardLevel="100">
            <Category>Discovery</Category>
            <DataSources>
              <DataSource ID="DS" TypeID="SystemCenter1!Microsoft.SystemCenter.CmdbInstanceSubscription.DataSourceModule">
                <Subscription>
                  <RelationshipSubscription RelType="$MPElement[Name='WorkItem!System.WorkItemAssignedToUser']$" SourceType="$MPElement[Name='CoreSR!System.WorkItem.ServiceRequest']$" TargetType="$MPElement[Name='System!System.Domain.User']$">
                    <AddRelationship />
                  </RelationshipSubscription>
                  <PollingIntervalInSeconds>30</PollingIntervalInSeconds>
                  <BatchSize>100</BatchSize>
                </Subscription>
              </DataSource>
            </DataSources>
            <WriteActions>
              <WriteAction ID="WA" TypeID="SystemCenter1!Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SystemCenter.Subscription.WindowsWorkflowTaskWriteAction">
                <Subscription>
                  <EnableBatchProcessing>false</EnableBatchProcessing>
                  <WindowsWorkflowConfiguration>
                    <AssemblyName>Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.WorkflowFoundation</AssemblyName>
                    <WorkflowTypeName>Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.WorkflowFoundation.ConfigurationWorkflow</WorkflowTypeName>
                    <WorkflowParameters>
                      <WorkflowParameter Name="InstanceId" Type="guid">$Data/BaseManagedEntityId$</WorkflowParameter>
                      <WorkflowParameter Name="NotificationRulesEnabled" Type="boolean">True</WorkflowParameter>
                      <WorkflowArrayParameter Name="NotificationTemplates" Type="guid">
                        <Item>F4E6AF14-50ED-C804-B5AB-F1F9DA59CE17</Item>
                      </WorkflowArrayParameter>
                      <WorkflowArrayParameter Name="UserAliasOrRelationships" Type="string">
                        <Item>15e577a3-6bf9-6713-4eac-ba5a5b7c4722</Item>
                      </WorkflowArrayParameter>
                    </WorkflowParameters>
                    <RetryExceptions />
                    <RetryDelaySeconds>60</RetryDelaySeconds>
                    <MaximumRunningTimeSeconds>1500</MaximumRunningTimeSeconds>
                  </WindowsWorkflowConfiguration>
                </Subscription>
              </WriteAction>
            </WriteActions>
          </Rule>
        </Rules>
      </Monitoring>
      <LanguagePacks>
        <LanguagePack ID="ENU" IsDefault="true">
          <DisplayStrings>
            <DisplayString ElementID="ServiceManager.ServiceRequestAssignmentChanges.Notification">
              <Name>Service Manager Service Request Assignment Changes Notification Workflow</Name>
              <Description>Service Manager Service Request Assignement Changes Workflow</Description>
            </DisplayString>
            <DisplayString ElementID="ServiceRequestAssignmentChanges">
              <Name>Service Request Assignement Notification</Name>
            </DisplayString>
          </DisplayStrings>
        </LanguagePack>
      </LanguagePacks>
    </ManagementPack>

• Edited by Piotrek82 Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:30 AM
    Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:26 AM
  • redacted

• Marked as answer by DjKg Friday, May 17, 2013 7:42 AM
    • Edited by UKCats Monday, May 20, 2013 7:02 PM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:24 PM
  • I completely agree.

To anyone on the Microsoft SCSM product team,

I offer you an invite to spend some time within a working live environment that doesn't have teams dedicated to in-house product development, to come and sit down with us and see what is fundamentally wrong with this product.

I believe you (MS) are not concentrating on the fundamentals.

Dave

• Proposed as answer by UKCats Monday, May 20, 2013 5:31 PM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 7:52 AM