none
Uninstall/Reinstall SCE and now computers that use that server can not install windows update from SCE

Question

• I was having issues with SCE so I decided to do a wipe and reinstall.  I was able to successfully uninstall.  I then deleted the VM it was running on and recreated from scratch.  During the recreation I kept the server name the same.  I decided to go with a seperate SQL server instead of a single server install.

So far the installation is working fine from the server standpoint.  It created the GP fine.  Added all the computers OK.  I did notice that it is not reporting size of HD or software installed on any computers but that could be because I have not set up Reporting Services yet but plan to.

The issue I AM having is on the computers, they are not able to get updates from the SCE server.  When I try to look for updates it CORRECTLY shows that i am "Managed by your system administrator" however it says "Check for updates for your computer".  When I click on Check for updates I receive:

Windows could not search for new updates  -  Error(s) found:  Code 800B0001.

I tried to run the software remediation tool on a couple of the computers and they were unsuccesful.

Please help point me in the right direction.  I definately dont want to run Windows Repair on this many computers...

- Shawn

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am even getting this error from the SCE server itself.  However I am able to check and receive Windows Updates from the internet just fine from all computers mentioned.

- Shawn

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:01 PM
  • Hi,

Have you checked the Windowsupdate.log to see the detailed failed information?

You can refer to this article which describes the situation:

WSUS Support Tip: “WARNING: Skipping scan, self-update check returned 0x800B0001” in WindowsUpdate.log

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2012/07/26/wsus-support-tip-warning-skipping-scan-self-update-check-returned-0x800b0001-in-windowsupdate-log.aspx

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Shawn.Chandler Friday, September 13, 2013 3:25 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:17 AM
  • I see the following error:  C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\wuident.cab are not trusted

However, when I look this up and even your reference it says it relates to WSUS.  Do any of the fixes there fit for SCE?

- Shawn

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Also, when i go to download the WSUS update... I cant seem to get there.  Looks like it wants me to log into the LIVE site (already am) and gives me the error: Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later.

- Shawn

Friday, September 13, 2013 12:15 AM
  • OK, I finally found the x64 version of that update and that seems to have worked.  Thanks for the thoughts on how to find this issue.

- Shawn

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that it works for you.

If you have any other issue, you can feel free to post in TechNet forum for help.

Have a nice day!

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:31 PM