none
deeper diagnostic with network in 2012

Question

• I have some "funny" issues with network monitoring of SNMP v.3 AES+PRI devices. The devices are configured and it works fine (tested with 2x 3th part SNMP tools) with communications from Mangement Server to Switches. The Switch config is defined for a central place - so why does Ops Mgr 2012 put 20 out of 110 switches in "pending mode" - well back to the classical " No response SNMP" - Firewall is off (for test) and I know this  http://www.code4ward.net/main/Blog/tabid/70/EntryId/105/Troubleshooting-Network-Discovery-in-SCOM-2012.aspx) . so going back to Monitoring/Operations Manager/Network discovery/ Network Discovery Servers (State view) and look at the "health exporer" and see the critical for "Network Monitoring network devices in pending management" and click on the diagnostic task "ICMP and SNMP Firewall Rule Diagnostic" - it says:

Fail Getting Rule Operations Manager Ping Request (Echo Request - ICMPv4 OUT) State - Error Number: -2147024894 Error Details:   

The diagnostic task ran successfully. You may attempt a recovery by passing this output information  

but still got the issue - so how to do a DEEPER diagnostic to see whats the issue witht the 20 switches in pending mode (and I can do a rediscovery of pending network devices a lot of times without it helps anything)

Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Pjot,

to better understand what's goiing on try to take a network capture with an SNMPv3 aware network sniffer (such as wiresharck) so thta you can see the whole communication in clear. I had issues with devices that were not answering to snmp queries because too many OIDs were present in the request.

<body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple font-size:10.0pt font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"> - Daniele Microsoft
    MVP System Center Cloud and Datacenter Management
    http://nocentdocent.wordpress.com
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. </body>

Friday, March 09, 2012 12:30 PM