none
Uninstall software - SCCM

Question

•  

Hi

how to unistall the software that was found in Software Metering in SCCM client by SCCM 2007

Regards

Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:21 AM

Answers

• Stefan is correct, that there is no automation for this. And it really isn't tied to software metering, though the Software Metering node is one way to find applications through the automatic generation of software metering rules (which I'm assuming is what you are referring to).

You do have to create your own packages and programs to uninstall the software, whether it is based on msiexec /x or a setup.exe /unistall or whatever command you would use to uninstall the program. That unfortunately is program specific, so you have to figure it out for each program you'd want to remove. Then create a package, program and advertisement to do the job of uninstallation.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 6:24 PM

All replies

• Usually you create an uninstall package to handle uninstallation, but this depends on whats installed.

Usually this hasent to do with software meetering, but rather software inventory. Meetering is used to meeter how much your applications is used instead of just making an inventory of whats installed.

Som command linex ecamples if you have msi based installations

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/9361d377-9011-4e21-8011-db371fa220ba1033.mspx?mfr=true

msiexec/x {Package | ProductCode}

Parameters
    /x
    uninstalls a product.
    Package
    Name of the Windows Installer package file.
    ProductCode
    Globally unique identifier (GUID) of the Windows Installer package.
    Remarks

Windows Installer command-line options are not case-sensitive.

For more information about the Windows Installer command-line options, see Related Topics.

Examples

To remove or uninstall a package, type:

msiexec /x Example.msi

So normally you you create one collection for installation and taget your package to and one for unsinallation. Uninstallations doesnt nessecary need to be msi files it can also be exe files or uninstall files that are able to remove the software, though its very important to test this behavior in test so that it keeps your environment clean.

Best Regards

Stefan

Feel free to e-mail or add me on msn messenger

---------------------------------------------------------

Stefan Schörling

MCSE: Security, MCSA: Messaging, MCP

MCTS: Microsoft® System Center Configuration Manager, Configuring

E-Mail / MSN Messenger: stefan@msfaq.se

System Management Blog: www.msfaq.se

---------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, March 29, 2008 1:35 PM
  • Stefan is correct, that there is no automation for this. And it really isn't tied to software metering, though the Software Metering node is one way to find applications through the automatic generation of software metering rules (which I'm assuming is what you are referring to).

You do have to create your own packages and programs to uninstall the software, whether it is based on msiexec /x or a setup.exe /unistall or whatever command you would use to uninstall the program. That unfortunately is program specific, so you have to figure it out for each program you'd want to remove. Then create a package, program and advertisement to do the job of uninstallation.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 6:24 PM
  •  

I want to uninstall a program for which there is GID, so I should be able to use

misexec /x GID /qn

So I need to create a package to use msiexec and put msiexec.exe into the package source directory?

thanks

Neil

Friday, June 20, 2008 3:23 PM
  • If the program is already on the client, you create a package without source files, and just use msiexec.exe /x with the rest of the stuff you need. But no source files would be necessary.

Friday, June 20, 2008 9:13 PM
  • ok, I created a sourceless package and then the program with the msiexec /x command, however, in this case the misexec /x doesn't uninstall the software package.  I found the uninstall string and created a vbs script that works, so now do I need to create anothe package.  Will the vbs script need to go in the source directory for the new package?

'remove_pmpv6.vbs
    'vbs script to remove print manger plus client euit version 6.0.111
    ' June 24, 2008
    ' usage:  cscript remove_pmpv6.vbs
    ' computer will reboot at end
    on error resume next
    wscript.Echo "script to uninstall pmp client v6"
    Set wshShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    uninstallString = "RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\10\01\Intel32\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup " & Chr(34) & "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3171EBEF-1719-4374-926C-9CF44524EC23}\setup.exe" & Chr(34) & " -l0x9  -removeonly"
    commandLine = "CMD /c " & uninstallString
    wscript.Echo commandLine
    wshShell.Run commandLine
    Wscript.sleep 5000
    wshShell.SendKeys "{ENTER}"
    wscript.sleep 9000
    wscript.sleep 9000
    wscript.Quit(0)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Not sure why the msiexec /x msipackage did not work, you'd have to check the msi log if there is one.

But if you use a script, then unless the script is already on the client, then yes, you'd have to include it with the package source.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:52 PM
  • I think the msiexec did not work because the program was installed using a setup.exe. 

In any case the advertisement for the script is now showing received by 70 computers, 0 failures, 65 programs started, 0 errors, but only 2 program succeses.

I'm not sure why it is only showing only 2 successes.  The program is supposed to do a reboot so maybe it is waiting for the reboot, I did specify to allow reboot outside of the maintenance window.  I am also having trouble figuring out which computers it was successful.  I don't see a report that will show me that. Is there a log file on the sccm server that will show that?     

I found one computer where the reboot was pending, rebooted it and now it shows as successful however the program that was supposed to get uninstalled is still there so the script did not work even though it is reporting success.

thanks

Neil

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Its better to set the in new program wizard after running Config mgr restart computer.some programs need to restart to sucess.

sanka

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 10:59 AM
  • No, software distribution is handled at this point on the client end, so you'd have to look in their logs (execmgr.log).

You could run the advertisement status report however (just click the link in the Software Distribution home page). You can drill into the report to see which clients are in which states.

If the program wants to reboot, it may be that the program has presented a confirmation dialog that you don't see as you are running with admin rights, but in hidden mode, so no dialogs presented. I'd check Task Manager on the client to see if Setup.exe is still running. If so, that's likely the cause.

And yes, if the program was installed via Setup.exe, it likely can't be uninstalled via msiexec /x, as it won't be registered as installed with the GUID you are using.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:11 PM
  • I'm trying to do exactly the same thing.

i have created a pacage with two programs (install and uninstall) and advertisements for each.

the install runs fine but when i then try and run the uninstall program, which is just msiexec.exe /x {Product GUID}, the SCCM client just sits there and you cant run anything else through it for ages. after an hour or more the "run advertised programs" states that the uninstall program has run successfully but the program is still left behind.

i have done this with a few pacages and get the same result with all.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 7:02 AM
  • Hi all,

I have a question.

Do you have any idea about some Options for uninstalling existing applications using SCCM? and some known issues for uninstalling applications (for example Lotus Notes) from Windows Vista using SCCM

Thanks and Regards
    Ruel
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:00 AM
  • Ruel, please avoid double postings (it's not easy to track all those posting for those who are trying to help you if they have to look at different locations/threads). Your question was already answered here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrswdist/thread/bd3874f2-640d-43b5-a7f2-5bb767615ca2
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:04 AM
  • Sorry for the double postings Torsten.
    This is noted.

Thanks,
    Ruel
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:13 AM