none
Performance monitor - PRO CPU Utilization

Question

• I am using SCVMM 2008 R2 with PRO turned on but every now and then I receive an alert from SCOM about PRO CPU utilization . 

Alert: PRO CPU Utilization
    Source: xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxx
    Path: xxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxx
    Last modified by: System
    Last modified time: 9/15/2011 9:44:02 AM Alert description: CPU utilization on the host has reached critical levels. A %Processor Time monitor has detected that the CPU utilization is greater than the threshold. (The current threshold is 80 percent.)
    Alert view link: "?DisplayMode=Pivot&AlertID=%7b622a20e3-77bb-4e5d-bff0-f7010a4b1c10%7d"
    Notification subscription ID generating this message: {D07233A6-8F29-4CA7-54C0-0978C5CAECDF}

Now I want to monitor what parameter it is that's causing this shoot using "Performance Monitor" . I have tried these so far but none of the data seems to coincide with the alerts generated.The actual CPU Usage from Task Manager is even less than 2%

% Guest Run Time from Hyper-V Hypervisor Logical Processor 

% total Run Time from Hyper-V Hypervisor Logical Processor

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

• probably because the guest machine use the processor. if one VM use 100% CPU, you can't see the same result into Host's CPU monitor....logical and physical are separeted.

did you have installed the last MP, the last CU and all the patch of Windows? what kind of application are installed into the VM who has high value of CPU? how many physical CPU are installed on Host? how many VM are installed?

S

S.Net
    Inside Technologies
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator
    MCTS Server Virtualization - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007 - MCSE-M

S.Net Blog
    WindowServer.it
    WindowServer.it Learning Portal

Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:25 AM
  • You could try when you have the alert selected in an alert view to go to the top of the actions pane. It will have an entry saying something like "View or edit the settings of this monitor/rule" there you can in some time find a configuration or a data source you can open and see the counter it was using.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient

Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:00 AM

All replies

• % Guest Run Time from Hyper-V Hypervisor Logical Processor
    % total Run Time from Hyper-V Hypervisor Logical Processor

this kind of object are for VM but if you want monitor the host CPU you must check the Windows Server Logical Processor.

S

S.Net
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator - MCTS Server Virtualization - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007 - MCSE-M
    S.Net Blog
    WindowServer.it

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:22 AM
  • I am hosting bunch of VMs on hosts butthe actual physical CPU usage is below 2% but SCOM generates an alerts when the CPU average goes above 80% in SCVMM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 8:55 PM
  • probably because the guest machine use the processor. if one VM use 100% CPU, you can't see the same result into Host's CPU monitor....logical and physical are separeted.

did you have installed the last MP, the last CU and all the patch of Windows? what kind of application are installed into the VM who has high value of CPU? how many physical CPU are installed on Host? how many VM are installed?

S

S.Net
    Inside Technologies
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator
    MCTS Server Virtualization - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007 - MCSE-M

S.Net Blog
    WindowServer.it

Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:25 AM
  • You could try when you have the alert selected in an alert view to go to the top of the actions pane. It will have an entry saying something like "View or edit the settings of this monitor/rule" there you can in some time find a configuration or a data source you can open and see the counter it was using.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient

Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:00 AM