none
Opinion on best way to add Company Asset Tag and Monitor information information into SCCM

Question

• First off, thanks for the help, and sorry, I am new to SCCM...

I need to be able to add company asset tag number information about my machines in SCCM and am looking for opinions on how best to get this information into SCCM and how to add this "custom field" (for lack of a better term) to be viewed in an inventory report.  Also, my company wants us to track computer monitors, which also have an company asset tag (different tag number from associated computer, but, needs to be associated with the computer connected to it), any good way to have SCCM detect monitor information, associate it to a computer and also get company asset tag information associated with the monitor?  Thanks in advance for the help!!

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:22 AM

Answers

• Hello - Yes, it is possible to collect these details.

Go through the below thread to get more info on this.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrai/thread/55713e36-8b4d-4d4f-8689-01aa10cf6f07

Extracted from the thread

Dan Boldo [MSFT]<abbr class="affil">Microsoft</abbr>

Asset Intelligence was not built to be a full end-to-end asset management tracking solution. It was built to collect asset information from machines running the SMS/SCCM client and then cross reference the collected data with the existing knowledge base aka the catalog. 

In this case, you can get the internal asset number from PCs running the SMS/SCCM client by opting for one of the following two options: 

1. Use the Hardware 1A report (Summary of Computers in a Specific Collection) which contains among other things, the client's serial umber and asset tag. Note that the Asset Tag is a usually a user editable field in the BIOS and could be tagged with any custom value you opt to enter (e.g. your internal asset manager numbers) 

2. Extend the SMS_DEF_MOF to collect a custom value. You can read more about this in "Customizing with MOF Files" which is available on http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sms/sms2003/opsguide/ops_6ewj.mspx?mfr=true . You can then create a custom report to pull that data our of the SMS/SCCM database. 

I'd opt for option #1 since it's the easiest to utilize from both a collection and report perspective. you can read more about the different hardware reports in the SP3 AI help file (SC_AssetIntelligence.chm) in the section titled "Hardware Asset Management Reports".

Anoop C Nair
    • Marked as answer by SOMUM Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by SOMUM Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:55 PM
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:09 AM
  • Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:30 AM
  • That blog for monitor info is a bit old, but still mostly valid.  The most reliable method of gathering monitor info is to purchase Enhansoft's MIR product.  All of the other methods, unfortunately, have the same underlying flaw of not being able to tell you which monitors it reports are recently connected, or which one might have been connected 2 years ago for 10 minutes.  Oh, and since that blog I tested Roger Zanders' utility, it's pretty nice but requires that all of your clients have a .net minimum version (I forget which one? 3.5sp1? I think?).  If I had to pick a free one to use, and *everyone* involved, including management understood that because it's free, and because of the underlying technical limitations, it'll only be about 60-80% accurate, that's the one I would pick.

For Asset tag... is that asset tag entered into Bios by a technician? (if so, it MIGHT be possible to pull out with a custom mof edit) Or is this asset tag simply a sticker some human puts on the device?  Are you perhaps super-lucky, and when that human puts that sticker on the device, in your purchasing database, the one where *cough* the serial number is recorded, as well as the sticker's asset tag is recorded?  (Hey, we can dream, right?!)  Or maybe that asset tag is recorded in Active Directory, as an attribute in the Computers' AD account?  If that asset tag is recorded in any other database, you could get your DB Gurus to leverage SRS to link the two databases together based on serial number, and produce a report that way. 

If, however, the only place the asset tag is listed is on a sticker a human put on the device, then the only way to get that information into Configmgr is to use those pesky, dyslexic-prone humans again.  One way would be to leverage a front-end gui, which runs on the computer, asking the human to type in the asset tag number; which based on your front-end code, you drop into a regkey.  One RegKeytoMof edit later, and you pull out the regkey.  Just be prepared for the human responses of "what is this?" input into your GUI instead of the actual asset tag.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc431411.aspx

• Marked as answer by SOMUM Monday, February 07, 2011 9:55 PM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hello - Yes, it is possible to collect these details.

Go through the below thread to get more info on this.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrai/thread/55713e36-8b4d-4d4f-8689-01aa10cf6f07

Extracted from the thread

Dan Boldo [MSFT]<abbr class="affil">Microsoft</abbr>

Asset Intelligence was not built to be a full end-to-end asset management tracking solution. It was built to collect asset information from machines running the SMS/SCCM client and then cross reference the collected data with the existing knowledge base aka the catalog. 

In this case, you can get the internal asset number from PCs running the SMS/SCCM client by opting for one of the following two options: 

1. Use the Hardware 1A report (Summary of Computers in a Specific Collection) which contains among other things, the client's serial umber and asset tag. Note that the Asset Tag is a usually a user editable field in the BIOS and could be tagged with any custom value you opt to enter (e.g. your internal asset manager numbers) 

2. Extend the SMS_DEF_MOF to collect a custom value. You can read more about this in "Customizing with MOF Files" which is available on http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sms/sms2003/opsguide/ops_6ewj.mspx?mfr=true . You can then create a custom report to pull that data our of the SMS/SCCM database. 

I'd opt for option #1 since it's the easiest to utilize from both a collection and report perspective. you can read more about the different hardware reports in the SP3 AI help file (SC_AssetIntelligence.chm) in the section titled "Hardware Asset Management Reports".

Anoop C Nair
    • Marked as answer by SOMUM Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:55 PM
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:09 AM
  • Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:30 AM
  • That blog for monitor info is a bit old, but still mostly valid.  The most reliable method of gathering monitor info is to purchase Enhansoft's MIR product.  All of the other methods, unfortunately, have the same underlying flaw of not being able to tell you which monitors it reports are recently connected, or which one might have been connected 2 years ago for 10 minutes.  Oh, and since that blog I tested Roger Zanders' utility, it's pretty nice but requires that all of your clients have a .net minimum version (I forget which one? 3.5sp1? I think?).  If I had to pick a free one to use, and *everyone* involved, including management understood that because it's free, and because of the underlying technical limitations, it'll only be about 60-80% accurate, that's the one I would pick.

For Asset tag... is that asset tag entered into Bios by a technician? (if so, it MIGHT be possible to pull out with a custom mof edit) Or is this asset tag simply a sticker some human puts on the device?  Are you perhaps super-lucky, and when that human puts that sticker on the device, in your purchasing database, the one where *cough* the serial number is recorded, as well as the sticker's asset tag is recorded?  (Hey, we can dream, right?!)  Or maybe that asset tag is recorded in Active Directory, as an attribute in the Computers' AD account?  If that asset tag is recorded in any other database, you could get your DB Gurus to leverage SRS to link the two databases together based on serial number, and produce a report that way. 

If, however, the only place the asset tag is listed is on a sticker a human put on the device, then the only way to get that information into Configmgr is to use those pesky, dyslexic-prone humans again.  One way would be to leverage a front-end gui, which runs on the computer, asking the human to type in the asset tag number; which based on your front-end code, you drop into a regkey.  One RegKeytoMof edit later, and you pull out the regkey.  Just be prepared for the human responses of "what is this?" input into your GUI instead of the actual asset tag.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:49 PM
  • If you want monitor info check out Enhancesoft.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jmarcum/|
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Thanks everyone for your help and opinions...one last thing, how do I get the "A" reports downloaded and added into SCCM 2007?  Under reports in the SCCM Console, I only have the "non-A" reports listed...thanks again in advance
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Um... what's an "A" report vs a "non-A" report?

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:11 PM
  • By "A" report, I mean, in the answer An00p provide above, it is said to run report "1A"...in my SCCM console, I have reports with just numbers, such as "1", "2", etc., but, I don't have a "1A" etc. report(s)...thanks

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc431411.aspx

• Marked as answer by SOMUM Monday, February 07, 2011 9:55 PM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 1:46 PM
  • I downloaded and installed Roger's monitor utility and all I find is a DLL in the program files folder on my SCCM server. What do I do next? According to this article (http://bowden-it.net/wordpress/?p=45) I have to install the WMI provider on all the clients. I'm not clear on how to do that with just a DLL file. Can you help?
    Monday, December 17, 2012 4:33 PM
  • You install that .msi onto each client (msiexec /i setup_x64.msi /qn) -- presuming that each client already has .net 3.5 at least, and that each client is x64 OS.

That creates the win32_monitordetails wmi class--so that you can add the class to sms_def.mof, so that you can inventory that information back.

Oh, and then add this to the bottom of sms_def.mof (if cm07) or import into default client agent settings, hardware inventory (if cm12)

// for use with http://sourceforge.net/projects/wmimonitor/
    [ SMS_Report (TRUE),
    SMS_Group_Name ("MonitorDetails"),
    SMS_Class_ID ("MonitorDetails")]

class win32_monitordetails : SMS_Client_Template
    {
    [SMS_Report(TRUE), key] string PnPID;
    [SMS_Report(TRUE) ] string SerialNumber;
    [SMS_Report(TRUE) ] string Model;
    [SMS_Report(TRUE) ] string MonitorID;
    };