none
SCCM vs Altiris question

Question

• Hey Guys,

I'm trying to build a case for a client to use SCCM, and they have come back asking me why SCCM, what's the benefits of SCCM over the likes of Altiris.

They want to know what's the cost breakdown is for desktops over servers.

I've struggled to find anything that's really any help.

Is there anyone here who may be of assistance?

Thanks in advance.

Joshua Rack
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:46 AM

Answers

• You won't find much on the Microsoft side as far as product comparisons.  Microsoft used to produce those and release them publicly, but hasn't done so in a long time.

You can find other comparison docs out there, but they are generally biased toward the vendor who paid for the comparison.  Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:

http://myitforum.com/cs2/files/folders/comparedocs/entry117191.aspx

Focus on cost.  The price for ConfigMgr includes all of it's features and functions.  Altiris separates features out into different products, of which you have to pay additional for each product/feature that you want to implement in your organization.  Don't be fooled, depending on your needs and requirements, your company could pay a lot more than you initially thought.  ConfigMgr is definitely the most cost effective product.

Also, think that Altiris is owned by "Symantec"! 
    • Marked as answer by Joshua G Rack Friday, January 23, 2009 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:56 AM

All replies

• Not sure what cost aspects you are looking into specifically,  but for licensing cost you can find some more information here.

Other costs involved like base infrastructure, deployment cost, operator training etc ... will have to be looked at as well.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:30 AM
  • Hi,

Think you should focus on the integration of the various Microsoft System Center platform and Active Directory. Specially when Service Manager comes in 2010 you can build a very strong integrated platform with SCCM, SCOM and SCSM.

Regarding licenses it is interesting when they already have SCOM, DPM or SCVMM in place. Microsoft has the Server Management Suite Enterprise (SMSE) which delivers SCOM, SCCM R2, SCVMM and DPM for a really good price.
    http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/management-suites.aspx

Regards, Jannes Alink
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:44 AM
  • You won't find much on the Microsoft side as far as product comparisons.  Microsoft used to produce those and release them publicly, but hasn't done so in a long time.

You can find other comparison docs out there, but they are generally biased toward the vendor who paid for the comparison.  Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:

http://myitforum.com/cs2/files/folders/comparedocs/entry117191.aspx

Focus on cost.  The price for ConfigMgr includes all of it's features and functions.  Altiris separates features out into different products, of which you have to pay additional for each product/feature that you want to implement in your organization.  Don't be fooled, depending on your needs and requirements, your company could pay a lot more than you initially thought.  ConfigMgr is definitely the most cost effective product.

Also, think that Altiris is owned by "Symantec"! 
    • Marked as answer by Joshua G Rack Friday, January 23, 2009 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:56 AM
  • I worked as an Altiris partner about 3-4 years ago, before SCCM 2007. Back then Altiris got several advantages over SMS2003 but I think that all history now. SCCM 2007 is a great product and I think one major point is that Altiris is now a part of Symantec. I don't remember if it is one or two years ago they bought it but after that the competition from Altiris almost disappeared here in Sweden. I think Altiris got lost somewhere at Symantec.

This is a major issue. MS are really committed in the System Management area with a lot of great products and the System Center family is growing rapidly.

Regards Ulf Mansson MCT, MCSE www.lumagate.com
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Also don't forget about community.  There's multiple resources available to you for ConfigMgr, here, other online forums, usergroups (both in person & online), blogs...  I'm sure there are community resources for Altiris as well, but (IMO), the breadth & depth of the community for System Center products is larger.
    Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Thanks for all this guys, I've seen the Altiris document which tries to do a comparison, if anyone else thinks of anything that would be great.
    Joshua Rack
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:43 AM
  • Probably not ever going to get a real 'answer' as these forums are to support our product, Configuration Manager, and not compare us to other products. That's a marketing thing :-)

And each person will have their own thoughts on why one is better than another, or how one compares to another. With that, can you mark this as answered, but if not locked, then others can still offer their 'opinions' for you?
    Wally Mead
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:46 PM
    Owner
  • i read this paper and found it to have a lot of misrepresented facts.  even at the time it was written in 2008, this comparison would have been quite invalid.  I do not believe the person who wrote this had really used SCCM at all or I cannot see how some of these claims were made.

One note on CMDB.  Regardless of what solution is pruchased for a CMDB, one must customize it to fit how that particular environment manages assets, how they recharge for it internally, and how the service tickets are tied back to a particular workstation or SW or IT asset such as Hard drive. or a Telephone headset tied into a PBX for VOIP;

only those vendors who are honest about it will ultimately win the day for the customer.  those vendors who act and say that you will get an out-of-the-box CMDB experience are totally misrepresenting the facts.

thank you,

Azin

azwright
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:09 PM