none
Error (E_ACCESSDENIED) when Collecting inventory or Detecting Software

Question

• We have System Center Essentials 2010 on a Windows 2008 R2 box that was running this operation without any issues until a couple of days ago. Whenever I run Collect Inventory or Detect Software and Updates Now from the Computers pane it gives me the following error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IHTMLLocation.GetHref()
       at System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser.get_Document()
       at System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser.get_DocumentStream()
       at System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser.get_DocumentText()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.RunTask.TaskStatusBase.EnableButtons()
       at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WmReflectNotify(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ListView.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

It then give me a list of loaded assemblies. I have looked everywhere for ideas on how to resolve this but it mostly has to do with either SharePoint or VB.net.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I found the error "Access is denied(0x80070005)", which seems to be a permission issue.

Did you use a Domain Administrator to run the SCE console? And does the user has a local administrator privilege on the managed computers?

Did you ever change the privileges of the Run as Account? Please ensure the Run as Account has enough permissions on the target computers. Or you can try again with specifying another account which has enough privileges on the target computers.

Hope this helps.

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 02, 2011 7:28 AM
  • I am using our domain administrator account that has access to everything. It was working fine and had no issues up until last week when I tried running these procedures. Nothing about that account has been changed and nothing on the server was changed.
    Monday, May 02, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Any help would be appreciated. This is a simple situation for the most part. We have our main administrator account which has access to everything on the network and is a domain admin. Everyone is an admin on their own computers and I have tried using their credentials to run these commands with the same results. The operation competes "successfully" but the error is annoying and who knows what it isn't doing in the background due to this.
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:06 PM
  • This KB seems to have exactly what I need but it is for SCOM and not SCE: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971541 

Any idea when this fix will be available for SCE 2010

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Hello,

The Service Pack is only for SCOM 2007. You can download SCE 2007 Service Pack 1 from the link below if you didn't upgrade your SCE 2010 RTM server:

System Center Essentials 2007 SP1 Upgrade (x64 & x86)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=20824F84-B98A-4E42-93A7-045A7A58E289&displaylang=en

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 11:33 AM
  • We have SCE 2010 so those won't work. It's looking like we will have to deal with this until an update or SP is released.
    Thursday, May 05, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Sadly Yog,  I'm getting the same error as these guys now.  Collecting an Inventory or detecting updates produces this error.  It seems like this error is encountered the moment the Task Output tries to display.  If you click Continue, the program continues to operate as normal, but will happen everytime.

Tim Magnuson | Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 |
    Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    My Blog Site: http://tmagnuson.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:42 PM
  • I now have the same issue as my former writers. Does anyone has a solution at hand yet? (Run as account has Domain Admin rights, should be able to do everything on every machine).
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:02 PM
  • same issue here

:(

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 4:01 AM
  • Same for me!  Any news on this yet?
    Friday, June 03, 2011 6:18 PM
  • same here for me fresh install..... well seems to be a bug....

so any news?

Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:19 PM
  • hey guys i found this:

We tested by uninstalling IE9 and confirming it was now IE8. Tasks ran fine. So we installed IE9 again, but this time from the Microsoft website and not some internal updating process. And yes, it crashed again at running a task.

So the current workaround is to uninstall IE9 to work with this. Hope that it will be fixed soon.

http://www.bictt.com/blogs/bictt.php/2011/05/25/scom-console-crashes-when-running

• Proposed as answer by Tim Magnuson Monday, June 13, 2011 1:51 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ryukotsei0 Monday, June 13, 2011 3:59 PM
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:24 PM
  • uninstalled ie9 fixed it for me

damn ie9!

• Proposed as answer by Marco Kühnel Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:35 PM
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:35 PM
  • yep, 2008R2 server...uninstalled IE9, problem solved.  nice find!
    Tim Magnuson | Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 |
    Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    My Blog Site: http://tmagnuson.wordpress.com
    Monday, June 13, 2011 1:51 PM
  • This fixed my issue. After the IE9 uninstall and reboot it was fixed.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Uninstallation of IE fixed this error in my instalation of SCE

Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Same here, uninstalling IE9 did the trick !
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Having the same issue on a Server 2K8 box. Removed IE9 and its SLOWER.. but it doesnt error out now. But interestingly enough.. Even with the error, If I continued, it would display the results. After removing IE9, it still generates exactly the same query information.

Scott Neville

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Hello.

I also found that IE9 causes troubles for many older consoles, Forefront TMG is another example. I uninstalled IE9 from SCE server but now it shows warning in "updates" section. I manually hid the update in Windows Update control panel, but SCE does not count this. How do I force SCE to ignore this update?

Valeriy Shevtsov, MCT
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:39 PM