SQL Server 2008 R2 pretty much gone after upgrade to 8.1 RTM

Question

• Hi all,

i recently upgraded my Windows 8 laptop to Windows 8.1 RTM. The upgrade went smooth (selected Keep everything for the upgrade), but i just now noticed that the SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard installation that i had running on this machine is pretty much disintegrated after the upgrade. The service is gone, there are no mappings between Security ID's and account names and trying a repair on the installation gives me several error messages and at the end just crashes the installer several times. Is this something that anyone else has noticed? If this is a compatibility issue (which it says when starting the installer) why wasn't i informed of this when running the upgrade, and most important, how (if at all) can i fix this?

Hope somebody can help.

Kind regards, Philipp - Solid IT Solutions

Thursday, October 03, 2013 9:33 AM

All replies

• I really wish Microsoft would address this post.

Were you able to get this fixed? I just upgraded to 8.1 and the same thing happened to me. My SQL server is now toast post upgrade which pretty much has halted my development until I fix my SQL server.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:37 AM
  • I Basically did a complete reinstall of SQL Server and reattached the .mdb files to the new instance. Unfortunately no other way i tried seemed to work. Repairing the instances that are installed wasn't possible.

Kind regards, Philipp - Solid IT Solutions

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:30 AM