none
Creating a VM template with more than one VHDX

Question

• Hi,

I have created a VM template of a server on my Hyper-V environment. The  VM has 3 expanding VHDx disks.

However, the template only captures 1 disk (the disk with the OS). How do I create a template which will automatically capture the other 2 disks?

I've noticed that when I create a vm of this template, I can specify additional disks. However, these disks are the standard ones (small/large etc) in the VHD folder of the library share. However, even with the VHDx files in this directory. they aren't deticted in SCVMM in the library. How can I address this?

Sunday, May 05, 2013 11:12 PM

Answers

• This would be something you would capture in a hardware profile and not the template itself. The point of the template is to abstract as much as possible, thereby making the single template as versatile as possible. A perfect world scenario would be 1 server 2012 template and multiple hardware and guest OS profiles to cover all the different potential roles that server could have.
    Monday, May 06, 2013 3:09 PM

All replies

• This would be something you would capture in a hardware profile and not the template itself. The point of the template is to abstract as much as possible, thereby making the single template as versatile as possible. A perfect world scenario would be 1 server 2012 template and multiple hardware and guest OS profiles to cover all the different potential roles that server could have.
    Monday, May 06, 2013 3:09 PM
  • You cannot add a VHD/VHDX to a hardware profile using the VMM 2012 SP1 GUI, you can only add SCSI adapters.
    Monday, September 30, 2013 11:15 AM