none
Best practice, Re-imaging computers

Question

• Trying to be a little proactive.

This summer we will be reimaging 1000+ computers that were imaged this past year with SCCM. What is the best method for reimaging?

To this point, we would grab a computer, throw it in the unknown computer collection, pxeboot and away we went. However, this has seemed to produce unwanted side effects. Many of these computers will image fine (Core OS) but they will skip any software installation tasks.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:22 PM

Answers

• i mean you should just create some Deploy OS collections, eg: create a collection called Deploy Windows 7, advertise your Deploy Windows 7 task sequence to that collection, add some computers to it, done. The whole process from start to finish is here

that should work fine, give it a try, in terms of your software steps not getting installed what does your SMSTS.log file reveal ? you can find out more about that file here

Step by Step ConfigMgr 2007 Guides
    Step by Step ConfigMgr 2012 Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

• Proposed as answer by Jubs83 Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by GlennWelker Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:49 PM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:33 PM
  • zero touch (pxe boot) is where no user input or hands on is involved,

lite touch is where some input can be involved such as naming the computer or filling in menu items.

when you do your next deployment capture the smsts.logs and you can mail them to me and i'll advise, or post them here (the failures in relation to software not installing)

Step by Step ConfigMgr 2007 Guides | Step by Step ConfigMgr 2012 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:39 AM
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:42 PM

All replies

• as the computers are already known why would you 'put them' in the Unknown Computers collection, simply add them to a Deploy OS collection and pxe boot to migrate them. Can you be more specific about your unwanted side effects, do you mean the task sequence skipped steps or that applications advertised to the user would not install after the computer was imaged ?

I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:39 PM
  • I'm not familiar with the Deploy OS Collection. It doesn't show up in the collections on our server. Is it in a different location?

And yes the install software steps are simply skipped.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 1:56 PM
  • i mean you should just create some Deploy OS collections, eg: create a collection called Deploy Windows 7, advertise your Deploy Windows 7 task sequence to that collection, add some computers to it, done. The whole process from start to finish is here

that should work fine, give it a try, in terms of your software steps not getting installed what does your SMSTS.log file reveal ? you can find out more about that file here

I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

• Proposed as answer by Jubs83 Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by GlennWelker Thursday, October 04, 2012 3:49 PM
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Thanks Niall. With this new collection, will the computers bypass abortpxe errors? This is the reason that we added them to the unknown collection in the past.

We have looked at the smsts.log quite extensively but it doesn't seem to list any errors or logs specific to the software tasks. It just skips them completely.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:38 PM
  • abortpxe is there for a reason, to stop you needlessly reimaging computers, you'll probably only encounter issues with it when imaging test computers, but there are fixes to that problem such as this one or you can adjust the WDS cacheexpire timeout value in the registry as described here

do you have any WMI conditions or other settings on the Install Software steps ? if you want to attach an smsts.log file from one of these deployments then please do i'll check it

Step by Step ConfigMgr 2007 Guides | Step by Step ConfigMgr 2012 Guides | I'm on Twitter > ncbrady

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I work for a school district and all computers are reimaged every year. I am familiar with clear last pxe but this seems painful when I need to reimage 1000+ computers.

I unfortunately do not have a smsts.log at this time. Like I said in the beginning I am trying to be proactive.

It seems that the software tasks within the os deployment are still essentially advertisements and the system just skips them. The re-imaged computers get any software advertised outside of the os deployment sequence, just not anything that might have already been a part of the base image.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 6:04 PM
  • Since the machine is known to ConfigMgr you can drop the machine into the correct collection and run either Zero touch Task Sequence or have the user run a TS from the Run Advertised Programs.  Again since this is image refresh you don't need to format the machine and you can do it all without user interaction.

http://www.sccm-tools.com http://sms-hints-tricks.blogspot.com

Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:56 AM
  • In this case, I think we do want to format. We want a completely clean image. Can you give me an example of why I wouldn't want to format the machine?

Because of hundreds of students profiles etc., it seems cleanest to start from scratch, so to speak.

I'm not familiar with zero touch or lite touch, but I will look into this.

Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:03 PM
  • zero touch (pxe boot) is where no user input or hands on is involved,

lite touch is where some input can be involved such as naming the computer or filling in menu items.

when you do your next deployment capture the smsts.logs and you can mail them to me and i'll advise, or post them here (the failures in relation to software not installing)

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:39 AM
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 1:42 PM