none
Windows update via SCCM 2007 has stopped working

Question

• Hi there,

I have acquired a network running SCCM 2007. So far i have only been using to to build machines using previously created deployment images. I have just realised that Windows updates have stopped working.

We had a network outage due to a problem with one of our virtual server environment SAN's a little while back and it hasnt worked since then (Could be unrelated).

I used to build a client PC from SCCM via PXE boot, the machine would deploy the OS, then install the software deployments, and then install windows updates. Now, the image applies, the software installs, but the windows updates just sit there saying 'downloading' and never finish. This is a whole site issue, not random.

Could i please have some assistance with troubleshooting this. I'm not entirely sure how WSUS works via SCCM, but i am currently attempting to learn more and more as i go.

My first thought is, could this be a certificate issue?

thanks in advance! Kev B

Kevin Bennett

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 1:59 PM

All replies

• Certificates are not required when deploying MS updates from CM. Where is your WSUS server installed? (locally on the CM box I hope)

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply! It wont be a certificate issue then :) The only reason i asked is because iv had a couple of certificates expire in the past couple months, so wondered if something else had expired similarly.

Yes, WSUS is on the same server as SCCM.

Kevin Bennett

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Are the updates deployed to a collection where the client is a member? (ie. unknown computers or where ever you have the TS deployed)

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:18 PM
  • I believe they are deployed to the collection 'all windows workstations or proffesional systems'

Kevin Bennett

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:21 AM