none
Force SCCM Client to Check for New Advertisements

Question

•  

Is there a way to manually force the SCCM client to check for new advertisements prior to the defined policy polling interval for the Computer Client Agent? 

During testing I get tierd of waiting for the SCCM Client to refresh its policy and start a software deployment.

On the SCCM Client I've tried the Action "Machine Policy Restrieval and Evaluation Cycle" but it seems like I still have to wait until the client checks in.....

Thursday, December 06, 2007 1:32 AM

Answers

• That action does force the client to check for policies. It is the same thing as the automated client polling method. So, it should just as the automated method does, just forced. I do it all the time in my demos at conferences, as well as all the labs I write for use at the conferences.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 2:11 AM

All replies

• That action does force the client to check for policies. It is the same thing as the automated client polling method. So, it should just as the automated method does, just forced. I do it all the time in my demos at conferences, as well as all the labs I write for use at the conferences.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 2:11 AM
  • Well, there is something not quite right with the forcing of the refresh of the advertisements. It does not happen as requested in my test environment.

Client Agents -> Computer Agent Agent -> Policy polling internal = 1 minute

On the site server, I have to delete and rebuild a Boot image used by a OSD task sequence. The Boot image is distributed to the single DP and it is reported as installed. The task sequence property is updated to use the new boot image.

Yet, from the client side, even if I force an action to have the client agent to refresh the policyes, it sometimes takes up to 5 solid minutes before the OSD task sequence becomes available once more ... very annoying in a development/test mode.

What is the client agent doing in these 5 long minutes? Did I miss a configuration item on the site server?  Of the myriad of log files in CCM\Logs, which one tell me whether the client has retrieved the policies, most specially the ones for the TS advertisements?

Thanks.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:40 PM
  • IMHO setting the interval to 1min (even in a testlab) is way too short. Why? Because the client waits for 2 minutes (IIRC hardcoded and not changeable) after receiving new policies before they get applied.

You can check (on the client side) execmgr.log (Policy is updated for Program: xxx, Package: xxx, Advert: zzz) or Policy*.log.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Absolutely agreed. Anything less than 15 minutes is a really bad thing. Most people don't go below 30 in production. You can always force with the Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle task if needed.

Setting this value too low generates way too much network traffic, so not recommended at all.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:08 PM
  • Now that you have changed this to an OSD question and task sequence, you may need to ask in the OSD forum, there could be unique things in its timing with task sequenes that I'm not aware of.

But as a general rule, once you retrieve policies, after it has been downloaded to the client, we have a hard coded 2 minute delay before the policy gets evaluated and implemented. Before an advertisement becomes available, there could be other delays, such as other tasks in the queue that must run first, the content has to be retrieved (especially if you changed the boot image as the content is a different version).

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:11 PM
  • I did mention that it was a test and development environment .... not a production one. Furthermore, it is in a virtual environment and the amount of trafic such setting generate is of no consequence (1 DC, 1 site server, 1 file server, 1 test client). In production, 30 minutes befween the policy refresh will be plenty good enough.

The virtual client computer snapshot get reloaded and rebooted over and over. Each time it reboots and when I logon, I see only 1 entry in the advertised list (it was in this state when the client was shutdown and a snapshot was taken). It takes oftentimes 5 minutes before the other "Software Distribution" and "Operatind System deployment" advertisements show up in the list ... even when I initiate a refresh action on the client side.  I was wondering how to speed that up ... lots of wasted development time waiting for the list to refresh.

Regards.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 5:23 PM
  • My personal recommendation is to not change these to unrealistic values even in a dev environment (which yes, you did state before). The reason is that I've seen too many customers take unrealistic settings from a classroom or a test lab and implement them in production, no matter how often we tell them to not do so. They just see what was set in another environment, and replicate it.

Again, you cannot speed up the processing. It will take a minimum of 2 minutes before a new advertisement is presented to the client AFTER the policy retrieval cycle. There's no supported way to speed that up. As to why you are seeing 5 minutes instead of 2 minutes, I've already given you what my thoughts were in a previous post. Could just be other things happening on the client. Or, in your scenario, new content needs to be downloaded.

In a production environment, most people are targeting things to happen in off hours, so if it were 2 minutes versus 5 minutes, that's not a big deal.

I'd be shocked if there were not other things you could be doing while we were doing our processing, and thus the time would not be 'wasted'.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:26 PM
  •  Wally [MSFT] wrote:

My personal recommendation is to not change these to unrealistic values even in a dev environment (which yes, you did state before). The reason is that I've seen too many customers take unrealistic settings from a classroom or a test lab and implement them in production, no matter how often we tell them to not do so. They just see what was set in another environment, and replicate it.

Again, you cannot speed up the processing. It will take a minimum of 2 minutes before a new advertisement is presented to the client AFTER the policy retrieval cycle. There's no supported way to speed that up. As to why you are seeing 5 minutes instead of 2 minutes, I've already given you what my thoughts were in a previous post. Could just be other things happening on the client. Or, in your scenario, new content needs to be downloaded.

In a production environment, most people are targeting things to happen in off hours, so if it were 2 minutes versus 5 minutes, that's not a big deal.

I'd be shocked if there were not other things you could be doing while we were doing our processing, and thus the time would not be 'wasted'.

I have to agree with Gaetan.  When you're testing and evaluating a product such as SCCM, there should be some mechanism to force the process & bypass the 2-5 minute wait time.  I've had similar problems in a dev environment where I'm trying to troubleshoot an OSD TS and had to wait a lot longer than 5 minutes.  I've collaborated with many other hospitals that use SCCM 2003/2007 and they all agree the waiting time sucks and is thus WASTING our time. 

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:25 PM
  • You are more than welcome to submit the feedback to the feedback site on Connect. However, I can pretty much guarantee that this will not change in the current Configuration Manager 2007 product. The only chance would be in the next major release of the product.

You should be testing in a test environment, so you know the issues and how to resolve for production. It's my opinion, but I personally can't believe waiting 2-5 minutes is a waste of time. There are always other things that can be done during the time it takes for us to do our work. Again, that's my opinion. As stated, you may feel different, so feel free to submit feedback, with as much detail and business impact as you can, on the Connect feedback site for Configuration Manager.

Friday, October 17, 2008 10:41 PM
  • All: Per the original question, "Is there a way to manually force the SCCM client to check for new advertisements prior to the defined policy polling interval for the Computer Client Agent?"

Is there a command-line method to do this? ie: a command-line that I could put in a batch file that would simulate clicking "Initiate Action" on one/all of the available "Actions" found in the "Control Panel; Configuration Manager; Actions tab" ?

I too test multiple machines (XP vs. Vista vs. VM vs. Physical) and I log into each machine and manually click the "Initiate Action". I'd like to see if there's a way I can make this testing phase quicker/easier.

Any tips/tricks would be great. thanks...

Peter A. Berger Jr.
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Just have a look at the ConfigMgr SDK. There are some examples in there. Or you could use one of the so called "right click tools" (please use the search here) or http://sourceforge.net/projects/smsclictr/

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:00 PM