none
Task Sequence Failed with Error Code (0x00004005)

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to use the SCCM disk that we have used in the past on the same machine (Latitude D630) for Windows XP SP2 and SP3 and Vista Enterprise and Vista Small Business.  All of those machines the disk I have been using has worked fine.  Now we have been trying to make a image of Vista Ultimate with no SP and with SP 1.  When i try running the disk we have it gets to "Running Action: Prepare Operating System" for the top bar and the bottom bar has "Running sysprep command" and sits there for about 2 minutes and then errors out on the task sequence.  The error for the task sequence is:  Task Sequence Failed with Error Code (0x00004005).  For more information please contact your system administrator.  

The way the disk works is it runs on the OS side first asking for destination and your credentials.  Then asks for who created it and version.  Then it starts the task sequence and should restart to actually capture windows. I didn't create the disk it was one the other system admins in my dept so I am not sure if this disk was created with just the default settings.  It does have some branding for my school.  It is suppose to restart and go into WinPE and capture the machine.

Also when I looked in the Event Viewer for Applications at the same time I have attempted to run sccm there is an error.  The error is "Failed to prepare MSDTC for imagng.  Sysprep phase: "Cleanup" failed with error 0x80100101.  When I try to start the service up it gives me Windows Vista error saying the program has crashed.

• Edited by Joe Lehman Monday, July 27, 2009 4:11 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 11:45 PM

Answers

• G'Day,

There are several causes of this but they are relatively easy to fix.

With Windows Vista attempting to Sysprep a Windows Vista image more than three times, which Windows Vista does not allow. Please refer to KB929828: An error message occurs when you run "Sysprep /generalize" in Windows Vista: "A fatal error occurred while trying to Sysprep the machine"

There are three possible solutions or workarounds to this problem:

1. Use the <SkipRearm> option as described in KB929828. Since there are limilations to this option on how many times this can be used, you will not want to continue to use this option as eventually this will also stop working and not allow you to continue Syspreping the Windows Vista image.
    2. Use the above described method in building the Windows Vista image from scratch each time by using a task sequence. Anytime you need to make changes to the image, change the task sequence and allow the image to be built from scratch again. This is the preferred method.
    3. Rebuild the Windows Vista image manually from scratch. Since anytime you want to make changes to the image you will need to manually rebuild the iamge from scratch again, method 2 is prefered since it automates the image building process.

* Pasted from <http://blogs.technet.com/smsandmom/archive/2008/08/18/configmgr-2007-osd-fails-with-sysprep-did-not-complete-successfully-error-when-capturing-a-windows-vista-image.aspx>

OR,

You are using the wrong version of Sysprep.

There are new versions of Sysprep for XP, XPSP1, XPSP2, XPSP3, Vista, Vista SP1.

Make sure you have the right one.

Hope this helps

• Marked as answer by Joe Lehman Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:03 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Joe Lehman Monday, July 27, 2009 4:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Joe Lehman Monday, July 27, 2009 4:26 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:32 AM
  • Just a heads up if anyone else gets this error message.  This can be caused if you used slipstreamed media.  I have been trying to build an image for 3 days and couldn't get the SCCM capture media and even sysprep to run.  This was on a fresh build of Vista SP1 Enterprise.  Used a Vista Enterprise RTM with out a service pack and it worked fine after I upgraded to SP1 for Vista.  I will be trying a ISO directly from Microsoft with Vista Enterprise SP1.

Monday, July 27, 2009 4:26 PM

All replies

• G'Day,

There are several causes of this but they are relatively easy to fix.

With Windows Vista attempting to Sysprep a Windows Vista image more than three times, which Windows Vista does not allow. Please refer to KB929828: An error message occurs when you run "Sysprep /generalize" in Windows Vista: "A fatal error occurred while trying to Sysprep the machine"

There are three possible solutions or workarounds to this problem:

1. Use the <SkipRearm> option as described in KB929828. Since there are limilations to this option on how many times this can be used, you will not want to continue to use this option as eventually this will also stop working and not allow you to continue Syspreping the Windows Vista image.
    2. Use the above described method in building the Windows Vista image from scratch each time by using a task sequence. Anytime you need to make changes to the image, change the task sequence and allow the image to be built from scratch again. This is the preferred method.
    3. Rebuild the Windows Vista image manually from scratch. Since anytime you want to make changes to the image you will need to manually rebuild the iamge from scratch again, method 2 is prefered since it automates the image building process.

* Pasted from <http://blogs.technet.com/smsandmom/archive/2008/08/18/configmgr-2007-osd-fails-with-sysprep-did-not-complete-successfully-error-when-capturing-a-windows-vista-image.aspx>

OR,

You are using the wrong version of Sysprep.

There are new versions of Sysprep for XP, XPSP1, XPSP2, XPSP3, Vista, Vista SP1.

Make sure you have the right one.

Hope this helps

• Marked as answer by Joe Lehman Thursday, July 02, 2009 3:03 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Joe Lehman Monday, July 27, 2009 4:11 PM
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:32 AM
  • Just a note, Vista sysprep in included as part of the OS and updated with the service pack install.  Sysprep mismatch should only occur with Windows XP.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:50 AM
  •  

is it true that if you have already reached the 3 x sysprep limit during sccm deployments/captures that you then have to delete the DP "operating system install package" and refresh it from DVD/CD or can you simply delete the install.wim and copy it back to the DP from original media?

I haven't tried this yet but would be good to confirm this so I don't have to wait hours for another slipstream/sp1 for vista before another attempt is made to sccm deploy and capture.

Also, is there another method of slipstreaming sp1 into vista media without using vlite etc...?? perhaps a task sequence or something a little more automated to avoid the hassle? I haven't seen too much documentation into detail re this issue as everywhere seems to say the same

Friday, December 05, 2008 1:35 PM
  • Just a heads up if anyone else gets this error message.  This can be caused if you used slipstreamed media.  I have been trying to build an image for 3 days and couldn't get the SCCM capture media and even sysprep to run.  This was on a fresh build of Vista SP1 Enterprise.  Used a Vista Enterprise RTM with out a service pack and it worked fine after I upgraded to SP1 for Vista.  I will be trying a ISO directly from Microsoft with Vista Enterprise SP1.

Monday, July 27, 2009 4:26 PM