none
UNC path not supported

Question

•  

When I do a local testing and run a batch file as shown below to silently install a package, it works flawlessly.

setup.exe /s /uninst /f1.\uninstall.iss
    setup.exe /s /f1.\pacs.iss
    xcopy "drsys.ini" "c:\drs\sys\data" /y /c /i
    pause

The problem is after I copy the package to the site server's distribution point and try to push out the package to clients using the same batch file as shown above, it fails giving me an UNC not supported error.  Also after each command line ran, I also receive a Windows XP Setup dialog box stating  "Please go to Control Panel to install and configure system component".  At the xcopy command line, I get a file not found error even though the file is in the same directory. It seems like the program or windows doesn't support UNC?  Anyone knows a solution to this, please help.

The exact UNC not supported message is shown below:

'\\sccmserver\pkgsource\software\package1'

cmd.exe was started with the above path as the current directory.

UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to windows directory.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:02 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Have you tried putting the full path to xcopy ie C:\Windows\xcopy.exe

I seem to recall having the same issue using Regedit from a program

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:39 AM
  • Use vbscript instead of bat file :-)
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:07 PM
  • Are you putting that batch file into a package or just running it from a server(I assume you're doing this)? If you're running it from a server just put it into a package and push it out to your clients so it runs from the local machine.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Marking John Marcum's reply as the answer - though it could be a combination of John and Adam Ordal's responses.
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 5:24 PM