none
How to Kill a stuck connector

Question

• I have an SCCM connector configured in SCSM 2012 SP1, that is stuck at 96%.  I have disabled the connector, but it still says 96% complete and status is running.  How do I kill the connector today, so that it can run on it's next schedule?

~DannyRamirez

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:14 PM

Answers

• Correct, if you disable a connector, it will not run the next time it is scheduled to.  However, if you want to stop a connector in the middle of its sync, stopping the services is the only way to do this.  It is recommended that you schedule the AD/SCCM connectors to run when console/system usage is low since it can have an impact on performance.  You can use the following instructions to reschedule the AD connectors.

http://blog.scsmsolutions.com/2012/03/update-ad-and-sccm-connector-scheduler-with-powershell/

- Christopher

Until the Whole World Hears

• Marked as answer by Danny Ramirez Friday, March 22, 2013 8:01 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Danny,

The only way you can stop a connector is by turning off the System Center services on the Management server that runs the Connectors.  If you have multiple Management servers, the one that runs the connectors is the first one that was installed.  Depending on your configuration, this may not be an option.

- Christopher

Friday, March 22, 2013 5:30 AM
  • I left the connector disabled overnight, this morning it showed 100% complete and did not run again (since I disabled it).  Not sure why the sync is taking so long, but it was causing the console to react slowly when users were submitting work items. Hoping to see if today is better.

~Danny

~DannyRamirez

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Correct, if you disable a connector, it will not run the next time it is scheduled to.  However, if you want to stop a connector in the middle of its sync, stopping the services is the only way to do this.  It is recommended that you schedule the AD/SCCM connectors to run when console/system usage is low since it can have an impact on performance.  You can use the following instructions to reschedule the AD connectors.

http://blog.scsmsolutions.com/2012/03/update-ad-and-sccm-connector-scheduler-with-powershell/

- Christopher

• Marked as answer by Danny Ramirez Friday, March 22, 2013 8:01 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2013 2:13 PM
  • The SCCM connector may not necessarily be stuck. In my environment, the first SCCM run usually takes about 9 days to finish. Even when I limit the connector to certain groups, it takes about 3 days.

You can check your Operations Manager event log for SCCM connector events. That will indicate that the connector is still running, even if the percentage hasn't changed in a long long time.

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:25 PM
  • It does seem to have finished... it just took too long to run.  Here is a snapshot of the connector, taken the next day.

It shows it "Finished Success 100%", but it took almost 17 hours to run.  This is not the first time the connector runs, so it should only be syncing changes, no?  Our SCSM Environment has been up and running with this connector since last October.  I do need to modify the start time, so that it starts at 12AM not 6AM, however this will not solve a slow responding SCSM console if the connector is running for over 12 hours and is now in the middle of the work day.  So, sometimes I need a way to just quietly stop it and have it try again some other time.

~Danny

~DannyRamirez

Friday, March 22, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Do you have any downtime during weekends?  What we've done in large environments is schedule the SCCM connector to only run like on Friday evenings so that if it does go long, it has minimal impact on users.  So it would run weekly as opposed to daily.

- Christopher

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:27 PM
  • Yes, this would actually probably need to be the route I take.  I need to do syncs for CM only on Fridays.  Hopefully, it never runs till Monday morning!  :)

Thanks.

~Danny

~DannyRamirez

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:30 PM
  • I assume the link assumes that we have already download and installed the SDK?  Where can I find info on the SDK?

~Danny

~DannyRamirez

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:34 PM
  • You just need to point to the SKD binaries.  They are located here on your Management server.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Service Manager\SDK Binaries"

- Christopher

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:54 PM
  • Yeah, I saw this link from Travis Wright: http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2012/01/21/faq-where-are-the-scsm-sdk-binaries.aspx

I actually ran the scripts from Anton, and seemed to have changed the schedule to the Config Mgr connection to run only Fridays at 23:00.  I'll know tonight if it worked.  I wish I could set a connector to only run M-F and not the weekend.  AD user changes would only be made during the week, so why do syncs on Sat and Sun?

~Danny

~DannyRamirez

Friday, March 22, 2013 8:00 PM