none
Best Practice for adding Company Databases as Configuration Items

Question

• We are bringing our Information Management team in Service Manager. Their Work Items will be related to internal services such as databases and web platforms

I am thinking the best way to set this up would be to add these platforms as custom Configuration Items, then any Incidents can be related to these 'Affected Items'.

What would be the most appropriate way to set this up? would using 'Business Services' be more appropriate than 'Configuration Items'?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:44 PM

Answers

• Business services are a "collection" of related Configuration Items. E.g. Mail Service is containing Computer CIs (Exchange Servers, Exchange Storage, DC), network devices (routers, switch, firewalls) and a lot more CIs.

So if business services are fitting the needs of the team it's a good way to create business services. You only need to add the business service to an incident instead of adding a lot of the related CIs.

As business services are containing related CIs it's also maybe needed to create custom CI classes. Another option could be the import of Ops Manager MPs in SCSM to get some more CI classes in SCSM (for instance SQL Server databases, SharePoint items, Exchange things, ....). 

Hope this make sense?

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Are we talking about MS SQL Server databases?

If so I would import the related Ops Manager SQL Server management pack in SCSM. This will bring the SQL errver database class in SCSM.

There is a good blog post from Marcel how to do this:

Bringing discovered SCOM objects to Service Manager – Part 1/2 

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:43 PM

All replies

• Business services are a "collection" of related Configuration Items. E.g. Mail Service is containing Computer CIs (Exchange Servers, Exchange Storage, DC), network devices (routers, switch, firewalls) and a lot more CIs.

So if business services are fitting the needs of the team it's a good way to create business services. You only need to add the business service to an incident instead of adding a lot of the related CIs.

As business services are containing related CIs it's also maybe needed to create custom CI classes. Another option could be the import of Ops Manager MPs in SCSM to get some more CI classes in SCSM (for instance SQL Server databases, SharePoint items, Exchange things, ....). 

Hope this make sense?

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification Andreas, much appreciated. yes it does make sense.

So, if I have a series of databases and web platforms that need to be added as Configuration Items, What's the best way to do this? I've looked at creating a 'Database' Configuration Item, but this is an abstract class so doesn't work....

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:08 AM
  • Are we talking about MS SQL Server databases?

If so I would import the related Ops Manager SQL Server management pack in SCSM. This will bring the SQL errver database class in SCSM.

There is a good blog post from Marcel how to do this:

Bringing discovered SCOM objects to Service Manager – Part 1/2 

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:43 PM