none
How to setup Hyper-V and SAN failover

Question

• I am running a Xeon 1.6 quad Microsoft 2008 R2 Hyper V with 16 Gb of Ram.

I have several 4 Nic's and a HBA connected to a SAN storage Array with 3 Drives.

I can see them in the in the Hyper V and when I put them offline at the MS Virtual infruastracture.

Problem:

I have setup a 2 Node (A,B) Failover Cluster - 192.168.15.0 Public and 10.0.0.0 Private and have both nodes up under MS Hyper.

When I add the quorum from my SAN - physical it lets me use it under SCSI controller but it is not recognized for cluster quorum.

I tried all variations but I can't make it work.

Under VMware I run this LAB on a single Host with 2 VM's and mapping my SAN Lun's with no problems?

Can anybody adivice?

Thx

John

convms@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can follow MS TechNet fro building Hyper-V Failover Cluster http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732181%28WS.10%29.aspx

According your lab in VMware, Kindly be informed that Guest Clustering ( building cluster between VMs ) only can be done with ISCSI SAN connection in Hyper-V 

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:24 PM
  • Hi John,

I assume you try to build an failover cluster based on windows 2008 (r2)?

here we go:

"....can see them in the in the Hyper V and when I put them offline at the MS Virtual infruastracture..."

I think you are using an passthrough disk here where you need to put the physical disk offline at the host level :-)

"....When I add the quorum from my SAN - physical it lets me use it under SCSI controller but it is not recognized for cluster quorum..."

How do you present the LUNs to the virtual nodes (guest clustering) - connected through passthrough to an virtual SCSI controller? That will not work due to missing extended SCSI support :-( this is currently not possible and only way to use FC within VM is with ISCSI SAN not FC :-) background here is that Windows 2008 FC requires SCSI3 persistent reservations which isn't available at the virtualized SCSI controllers.

PS: really unsure here + I'm not an VMWare expert but I have heard that since version 4.0 there is an virtual fibre channel adapter available which seems to pass the validation wizard, can somebody confirm this?

Regards

Ramazan

Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Yes..They have that by mapping SAN LUN set to virtual compatibility mode. Hyper-V Guest Clustering ( building cluster between VMs ) only can be done with ISCSI SAN connection
    Friday, July 16, 2010 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

After mapping SAN LUN to host machine bring them offline before using in virtual machine.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2008/10/24/configuring-pass-through-disks-in-hyper-v.aspx

Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:35 AM