none
Failed to Run Task Sequence because the program files for ... cannot be located on a distribution point

    Question

  • Hi, I've searched other posts with this error but haven't resolved my issue.

    The task sequence was duplicated from a known working sequence. So when I run the known working task sequence on this server (virtual) it works with the its current network settings. I then make a few modifications to the duplicated task sequence and install a number of packages but the sequence encounters the error seemingly at the point just after it boots into the boot image.

    Troubleshooting steps I've taken.

    • ipconfig definitely shows good DHCP network settings
    • I've updated distribution points for all packages involved in task sequence
    • The temporary directory created for the OS install package is identical to the source files
    • Left it overnight in case update schedules resolved the issue

    I can't make a great deal of sense from the smsts.log but here are the error codes near the end:

    <![LOG[Failed to resolve selected task sequence dependencies. Code(0x80040102)]LOG]!><time="09:11:01.126+-660" date="02-22-2011" component="TSPxe" context="" type="3" thread="1964" file="tsmediawizardcontrol.cpp:1208">
    <![LOG[hrReturn, HRESULT=80040102 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\tsmbootstrap\tsmediaresolveprogresspage.cpp,408)]LOG]!><time="09:11:01.126+-660" date="02-22-2011" component="TSPxe" context="" type="0" thread="1964" file="tsmediaresolveprogresspage.cpp:408">
    <![LOG[ThreadToResolveAndExecuteTaskSequence failed. Code(0x80040102)]LOG]!><time="09:11:01.126+-660" date="02-22-2011" component="TSPxe" context="" type="3" thread="1964" file="tsmediaresolveprogresspage.cpp:408">
    <![LOG[ThreadToResolveAndExecuteTaskSequence returned code 0x80040102]LOG]!><time="09:11:01.126+-660" date="02-22-2011" component="TSPxe" context="" type="1" thread="276" file="tsmediaresolveprogresspage.cpp:221">

    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:03 AM

Answers

  • Thanks for your responses.

    I did find in the end an entry in the log reporting a certain package could not be located. I disabled the step on this package and the task sequence progressed. I am now investigating this package further.

    • Marked as answer by Ben Jongsma Friday, February 25, 2011 1:24 AM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 1:24 AM

All replies

  • It would then have something to do with one of those packages or DP. Maybe the source of the package has changed too and hasn’t been updated on the DP.

     

    Could you post more of the log, or you can just pin point the offending package by removing one at a time and test.


    Blair Muller
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Make sure that you have the boundaries configured correctly. Even though the packages are definitely available on the DP, if you don't have the specific Subnet that you're trying to deploy on as a boundary, it can also fail with the message that it cannot resolve the dependancies.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:54 PM
  • What is the system of the client side? If you have UAC on the client side enabled, does it work if you disable UAC?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Thanks for your responses.

    I did find in the end an entry in the log reporting a certain package could not be located. I disabled the step on this package and the task sequence progressed. I am now investigating this package further.

    • Marked as answer by Ben Jongsma Friday, February 25, 2011 1:24 AM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 1:24 AM
  • This fixed my issue!

    Thank you so much!

    Friday, February 24, 2012 10:37 PM