none
Open work item on a schedule

Question

• I'm wondering if there is a good way to establish a schedule on which a Service Request or Work Item would be opened. I imagine that this can't be done via SCSM natively, but maybe with SCORCH? It seems that there should be a demand for a feature like this since many organization do preventative maintenance and checks on a schedule, but want work items to remind them of this. We are accomplishing this currently for some groups in our organization with a custom developed CRM solution, but I'm not sure how much more development management is going to put into it.

There is also a desire to move more of the work that we do as a whole into SCSM so that we have one unified workspace for the work that we are all doing.

Friday, April 19, 2013 5:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, this could be done natively in SCSM.

You can create a workflow rule that triggers every X hours (or days..however often you want a new SR created). The rule then runs a powershell script (with smlets) that creates an SR from a template. I believe you could even build this with the authoring tool.

You could use Orchestrator, but personally, I never use Orchestrator to do any type of scheduled work.

Friday, April 19, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Maybe this blog post from Anders is helpful:

Creating recurring Change Requests

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Friday, April 19, 2013 9:20 PM
  • Looks like that would work pretty well to create SRs as well with some tweaking.

In the future it would be nice to see this type of thing customizable from the console as well. For my use case we have a group that will do PM checks on schedules of 30, 60, 90 days, and also as well as yearly checks. 9 times in 10 these checks are related to equipment that would ideally be a CI that the work item could be related to.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:51 PM