none
How to build Test environment, from Production environment?

Question

• Need to build an SCSM Test environment, which is an exact copy of the Production SCSM environment.

Other systems lets you back up the database and restore it to another server.

The problem is that with SCSM the source and the destination must have the same Host name, which is impossible on the same network segment. My client does not want to separate the networks, what they need is 4 machines as production server, and 4 machines as an exact copy, like:

Production server host names:

SCSM-DB
    SCSM-MS
    SCSM-DWDB
    SCSM-DW

Test server host names:

SCSM-DB-TEST
    SCSM-MS-TEST
    SCSM-DWDB-TEST
    SCSM-DW-TEST

With other heldesk system I could do a simple restore of the DB, but with SCSM the disaster recovery guide says clearly, that the restored server must have the same host name.

So how do I create a copy of the production environment but with different host names?

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:58 PM

Answers

• Enum values are stored in management packs so you just need to export the MP that they are stored in.

There really is no good way of exporting knowledge articles out other than writing code against the SDK.

In general though this is a good approach:

http://www.scsm.se/?p=127

Travis Wright Senior Program Manager Microsoft
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:30 PM
    Owner
  • The only way I can think of to do this is by using a virtual machine environment.  If you could P to V your SCSM servers and your domain controller then you could stand them up someplace in an isolated network.

It is not possible to simply restore a SCSM database backup in a different management group.

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:35 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Since nobody is answering, I would like to specify the question better:

Shall I build a brand new SCSM organization (new Management Group, New Servers, New server host names) for the test environment, and then somehow import the incidents from the production environment? Is that possible?

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Hi Dan,

I have been trying to do the same thing you require with no luck so far. I have a similar set of requirements where I would like to have a dev setup with a copy of my prod database running on the same domain on the same network for testing major changes and patches.

I hope someone out there can answer our questions!

Cheers,

Ben Loveday

Thursday, January 20, 2011 3:52 AM
  • The only way I can think of to do this is by using a virtual machine environment.  If you could P to V your SCSM servers and your domain controller then you could stand them up someplace in an isolated network.

It is not possible to simply restore a SCSM database backup in a different management group.

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:35 PM
    Owner
  • Is there any way to export the enum values (especially the various lists) and import them into a test environment.  The Lists are the one area where, prior to go-live, we added a lot of items, particularly in the Incident Classifications, Incident Tier Queue, and Change Area. 

We also have a large number of Knowledge Articles that we would like to copy to our test environment.

If we need to add them all manually into the test database, I'm concerned with the amount of time and the accuracy of getting the two to match.  When we are testing new workflows, etc. a slight spelling difference can impact whether it works or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chuck

Chuck Roy, Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission
    • Proposed as answer by chuckroy Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:33 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by chuckroy Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:34 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Enum values are stored in management packs so you just need to export the MP that they are stored in.

There really is no good way of exporting knowledge articles out other than writing code against the SDK.

In general though this is a good approach:

http://www.scsm.se/?p=127

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:30 PM
    Owner